Login / Register

Google finally decides to do more about piracy
Subscribe
mobius.media
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Thumbs up Google finally decides to do more about piracy

No doubt in reaction to events headlining the news the past couple weeks, Google has decided to improve its anti-piracy in four ways:

1) DMCA takedowns will get responded to in 24 hours max.
2) Autocomplete will no longer suggest common pirate keywords.
3) AdSense will more thoroughly review sites before they offer partnership.
4) Search results will attempt to make legal options "easier to find".

I am not sure how sincerely Google means any of this, or how much they are doing just in the hopes of escaping legislation. Whatever the case, it's a start. As big service providers like Google move towards better anti-piracy, the concept of 'safe harbor' gets a little smaller and less exploitative of copyright holders.

I think that's good for everyone. Except perhaps the pirates.

Google gets tough on copyright infringement
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
No doubt in reaction to events headlining the news the past couple weeks, Google has decided to improve its anti-piracy in four ways:

1) DMCA takedowns will get responded to in 24 hours max.
2) Autocomplete will no longer suggest common pirate keywords.
3) AdSense will more thoroughly review sites before they offer partnership.
4) Search results will attempt to make legal options "easier to find".

I am not sure how sincerely Google means any of this, or how much they are doing just in the hopes of escaping legislation. Whatever the case, it's a start. As big service providers like Google move towards better anti-piracy, the concept of 'safe harbor' gets a little smaller and less exploitative of copyright holders.

I think that's good for everyone. Except perhaps the pirates.

Google gets tough on copyright infringement
this doesnt sound that impressive . I mean yes good start but come on , how about blocking the 70% of the 1st page results for the big torrent sites like isohunt and tbp if you search for torrent.

google could clearly block this stuff if they wanted to but have no intention of doing so , this is just frilly stuff around the edges to appear to be doing something
mobius.media
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post
this doesnt sound that impressive . I mean yes good start but come on , how about blocking the 70% of the 1st page results for the big torrent sites like isohunt and tbp if you search for torrent.

google could clearly block this stuff if they wanted to but have no intention of doing so , this is just frilly stuff around the edges to appear to be doing something
My feelings are the same. I agree they could and should be doing far more. But unless major legislation forces them to, you're not going to see Google really crack down on piracy overnight. They have no reason to.

If pressure keeps up, perhaps they will in time. Until then, like I said, it's a start.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

I get the feeling the domain seizures may be a bit of PR spin too , all those big torrent domains are US level domain names and could be seized , ie isohunt , mininova , torrentreactor . someone suggested TPB hasnt been seized because of the court case but its not the case with these sites .

Seems strange to seize domains selling knock off shoes and leave the biggest torrent sites going with millions of illegal files being shared every day.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
I get the feeling the domain seizures may be a bit of PR spin too , all those big torrent domains are US level domain names and could be seized , ie isohunt , mininova , torrentreactor . someone suggested TPB hasnt been seized because of the court case but its not the case with these sites .

Seems strange to seize domains selling knock off shoes and leave the biggest torrent sites going with millions of illegal files being shared every day.
I'm pretty sure that those are all not US domains, which means they're probably waiting for COICA to pass......
All opinions expressed in my posts are solely my own: I do not represent any other forums (of which I may or may not be a member), groups, or individuals although at times my views may resemble those of other entities.

Inside every old man is a young man wondering WTF happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
The appropriate role for science is the study of observed phenomena to gain an understanding. It is not dictating what people ought or ought not to be observing.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gear Guru

And this all has what to do with Google?
mobius.media
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

MiniNova is now legal. IsoHunt has ongoing court action against it (so they're no doubt waiting for that to resolve). Dot Org domains (eg. TPB) are under an Irish company's control, so can only be seized if Ireland revamps their laws. TorrentReactor they could definitely take.

I think they are doing the current seizures mostly as "proof of concept" to demonstrate to people: (1) They have the capacity to seize US-registered domain names already (with or without COICA), and (2) The government does not find piracy/counterfeiting acceptable.

I think they'll leave the big ones like John said until they have a bit more power to attack them fully. Demonoid is another very easy target. There are several others I don't expect to stay around forever.
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Google will be very wary of the slippery slope.

As soon as they block some things, various interests will scoot up chairs to cosy up with them and suggest "er... Can you just do THIS for us, and also THAT" ?

And in a heartbeat internet freedom As we know know it will be down the toilet.

People going to public librarys to access the web will do it as slow as dial up 10 years ago because Comcast and Netflicks will have bought the rights to priority traffic on the web.

Money is talking and web freedom will be walking.

All so people can stream tv shows like Lost without it skipping...

Bummer...

Doom and gloom...
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

The amount of man hours required to do this will be huge. It may come doing to a combination of new algorithms and real human contact to hone in on these illegal sites. However, I fear that there will be alot of collateral damage from this kind of automated approach.

Also, the moment people can't use google to find illegal things, a new search engine will pop up with the sole purpose of finding exactly that.

The law of supply and demand can't be governed by legislation. The internet is a huge ever expanding phenomenon. Government and commercial entities are trying to protect us from what??

It's double standards. (What about massive oil companies? )
Nevermind.
mobius.media
3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Lives for gear

3rd December 2010
Old 3rd December 2010
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

Google seems to have a privately owned 'captaincy responsibility' vibe to it..

They seemingly righteously voted with their feet and walked out of China

And bravo I suppose..

But what if a key man at Google dies or they all get wiped out on a business trip by a missile strike? Er.... I mean an innocent plane crash...

Who guides the ship then?
4th December 2010
Old 4th December 2010
Gear Guru

that is an excellent question.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search