Feds seize more piracy/counterfeiting domains
mobius.media
26th November 2010
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Arrow Feds seize more piracy/counterfeiting domains

It seems lately there are a lot of people with their minds set on cleaning up the domains the US administrates.

Seized domains include:
2009jerseys.com
51607.com
amoyhy.com
b2corder.com
bishoe.com
borntrade.com
borntrade.net
boxedtvseries.com
boxset4less.com
boxsetseries.com
burberryoutletshop.com
cartoon77.com
cheapscarfshop.com
coachoutletfactory.com
dajaz1.com
discountscarvesonsale.com
dvdcollectionsale.com
dvdcollects.com
dvdorderonline.com
dvdprostore.com
dvdscollection.com
dvdsetcollection.com
dvdsetsonline.com
dvdsuperdeal.com
eluxury-outlet.com
getdvdset.com
gofactoryoutlet.com
golfstaring.com
golfwholesale18.com
handbag9.com
handbagcom.com
handbagspop.com
icqshoes.com
ipodnanouk.com
jersey-china.com
jerseyclubhouse.com
jordansbox.com
lifetimereplicas.com
louis-vuitton-outlet-store.com
lv-outlets.com
lv-outlets.net
lv-outletstore.com
massnike.com
merrytimberland.com
mycollects.com
mydreamwatches.com
mygolfwholesale.com
newstylerolex.com
nfljerseysupply.com
nibdvd.com
odvdo.com
oebags.com
onsmash.com
overbestmall.com
rapgodfathers.com
realtimberland.com
rmx4u.com
scarfonlineshop.com
scarfviponsale.com
shawls-store.com
silkscarf-shop.com
silkscarfonsale.com
skyergolf.com
sohob2b.com
sohob2c.com
storeofeast.com
stuff-trade.com
sunglasses-mall.com
sunogolf.com
tbl-sports.com
throwbackguy.com
tiesonsale.com
timberlandlike.com
topabuy.com
torrent-finder.com
usaburberryscarf.com
usaoutlets.net
Try any of the above and you get:

U.S. Government Seizes BitTorrent Search Engine Domain and More
26th November 2010
Old 26th November 2010
Gear Head

Great thing if you ask me. With the downing of limewire and other like sites, this will have an effect on illegal downloading which will hopefully increase the value/revenue of music for artists, writers, producers, engineers, etc.

Sure, some of these sites will morph into new ones, but if the big ones continually get shut down, some consumers will give up the search for free downloads and buy them. IMHO, the time spent searching for illegal sites will increase (with little or no success), thus invoking the law of diminishing returns.

Just my .02.
26th November 2010
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Shore View Post
Great thing if you ask me. With the downing of limewire and other like sites, this will have an effect on illegal downloading which will hopefully increase the value/revenue of music for artists, writers, producers, engineers, etc.

Sure, some of these sites will morph into new ones, but if the big ones continually get shut down, some consumers will give up the search for free downloads and buy them. IMHO, the time spent searching for illegal sites will increase (with little or no success), thus invoking the law of diminishing returns.

Just my .02.
Hardcore people will always find a way. Normal users will buy the stuff they really wanted and since they can pretty much buy whole albums for $5 there isn't a reason not to.
26th November 2010
Old 26th November 2010
Banned

slow justice is better than no justice
26th November 2010
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

26th November 2010
Old 26th November 2010
nice. inch by inch... this is way more action than we saw a year ago.
mobius.media
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Shore View Post

Just my .02.
What I particularly like about this is that as many of these sites do 'morph' by moving to new domain names outside of US jurisdiction (.info, .tk, .se, etc), the case becomes even stronger to implement measures that will allow their blockage via US ISPs.

The question will be: If we can shut them down when they are hosted inside the US, why do we have to live with them just because they have now migrated to Singapore?

I also like the fact that most of them were not even piracy related, but rather counterfeiting. It shows that companies like Nike, major league sports, and designer brands are starting to take this seriously as well.

The more the merrier.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
there are quiet a few folks here on the board that would like others to believe that lawlessness will reign supreme in the internet age, that there are no reasonable and practical solutions to combating piracy in a meaningful way.

what we've been seeing all year long during 2010 is the tip of the iceberg of the tide turning, and every step moves closer to dealing with the problem in more and more meaningful ways.

it is already starting that the pirates and not the creators will be the ones to "adapt and evolve" to new realities in the marketplace.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

These sites were cloning and stealing intellectual property. Not sure what this has to do with the mp3 debate.

Copying a scarf and selling it as the real thing is very different than allowing someone to download an mp3.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop View Post
These sites were cloning and stealing intellectual property. Not sure what this has to do with the mp3 debate.

Copying a scarf and selling it as the real thing is very different than allowing someone to download an mp3.
lol.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

umm, i think you need to revist your definition of intellectual property.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_music View Post
umm, i think you need to revist your definition of intellectual property.
Most of these sites are copies of handbags that are being sold as the originals. Or dvds of tv show series that are being sold as the originals.

I don't see how any of those sites that were removed have anything to do with this mp3 debate.

If you found a site where cover songs were being sold as originals, I guess it would be similar?

Just a confusingly irrelevant thread.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Wait...

Are you guys trying to go after Neve 1073 clones and Behringer!? LOL.

This subforum is hilarious.
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Pretty timely. Just the other day we were arguing about how evil blocking foreign domains was while sites in the US can just be seized with the same kind of process. Under the bill before the Senate the sites are not seized. If they are legal in their host countries they stay available to everyone except the US. Of course, a couple of the ICE seized domains are already back up and a couple of them stretch the present law as far as it can possibly be stretched.
mobius.media
27th November 2010
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most of these sites are copies of handbags that are being sold as the originals. Or dvds of tv show series that are being sold as the originals.

I don't see how any of those sites that were removed have anything to do with this mp3 debate.
Several of the sites were very large pirate MP3 distributors/indexers.

By lumping them all together in a simultaneous takedown, this action signals that pirates are getting the same treatment under IP law as counterfeiters. It also signals that major brands (some worth many times the entire recording industry) are joining the fight for stronger regulations online.

Quote:
You do understand that Neve 1073 patents are legally expired and there is no violation of IP law in copying the design?
28th November 2010
Old 28th November 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop
Wait...

This subforum is hilarious.
But not half as much as you are, lol indeed...
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Quote:

rapgodfathers.com
torrent-finder.com
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

why is piratebay.org still up

thats a us hosted domain name ?
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post

Swedish.

And I believe their servers are in some haven, maybe the Antilles or something.
mobius.media
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvsky View Post

Dot org is administered by an Irish company, which has offices also in Canada and the US. I don't think they could seize it unilaterally. Either way, I imagine they're waiting out of courtesy to let Sweden conclude their appeals and order an injunction. It's better for everyone that way in terms of fostering international cooperation if Sweden has a chance to run "due process" on the case.
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

here's a link someone posted on another (related) thread that i thought was pertinent to the discussion at hand.

http://www.mosesavalon.com/mosesblog...riaa-the-bird/

it's moses avalon's reaction to the PCmag article that came out last week that basically lists a bunch of new pirate sites now that limewire has been shut down, and instructs the reader how to use them.

the blog is what it is, but i really agree with moses that ASCAP and and other performing rights societies need to start jumping into the fray and getting their hands dirty.

in his words:

"And hey, ASCAP/BMI/SESAC you’re a bunch of pussies if you let the RIAA do all the heavy lifting and take all the black eyes– again. These are your publishers and writers that are being ripped off just as much as the RIAA’s labels and artists. You collectively take in about $2 Billion each and every year. Yet, you haven’t spent dime one on shutting down illegal P2P. How about you do something besides writing erudite support letters?"

i agree with the OP of this thread, i think it's great certain US government agencies are finally starting to take action, and it's great many are vocally supporting these initiatives, but i think it's also important that EVERYONE that has a stake in copyright starts pulling their weight.

i've already written a letter to mine, would be great if others started doing the same to get the ball rolling in that direction. every little bit helps...
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

hahaha... fools.

I can't believe there are people still holding out hope for intellectual property? It's over. Move on please. It's getting stupid.

It's like trying to make the air illegal, when all anyone has to do is open their mouths and breathe in.

Soon all of the music in recorded history will be deliverable in a single email. The tech companies want it that way. Apple, Google and Facebook want it that way. Do you think Universal, Sony and Warner can defeat them?

Plus the public wants it that way. Everyone has spoken. You can get my albums for free at the link below.
mobius.media
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
Plus the public wants it that way. Everyone has spoken.
The public wants a lot of things for free. Doesn't mean they can get it all. Last I checked music was still a major multibillion dollar a year industry. And that's after 10 years of rampant piracy with practically zero government/broad-scale enforcement.

Kind of funny some people are so eager for the major stakeholders to throw in the towel when the fight hasn't even gotten started.

Quote:
You can get my albums for free at the link below.
Your music, your choice.
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Gear Head

tit for tat

Quote:
hahaha... fools.

I can't believe there are people still holding out hope for intellectual property? It's over. Move on please. It's getting stupid.

It's like trying to make the air illegal, when all anyone has to do is open their mouths and breathe in.

Soon all of the music in recorded history will be deliverable in a single email. The tech companies want it that way. Apple, Google and Facebook want it that way. Do you think Universal, Sony and Warner can defeat them?

Plus the public wants it that way. Everyone has spoken. You can get my albums for free at the link below.
Soon all your private data will be contained in a personal id without which you won't be able to access the world wide web. The tech companies want it that way, the governments want it that way. Apple, Google and Facebook are already conditioning their customers to accepting this. Do you think Anonymous, TPB and EFF can defeat them?

Plus the public wants it that way. It's more convenient that way.

I can't believe there are people still holding out hope for an unregulated world wide web. The party is coming to an end. Move on please. It's getting stupid.

I won't laugh at you nor will I call you a fool, though. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Hold on, this sounds like something else I've read aswell.

Something about IPv2 running out of web addresses.

On the BBC so not your red top newspaper.
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
Kind of funny some people are so eager for the major stakeholders to throw in the towel when the fight hasn't even gotten started.
exactly.

i think alot of these guys that think "everything in the entire universe should be free" are in for an extremely rude awakening when the doors start slamming shut again.

those tech companies that have enabled piracy for all these years to support their unethical "web 2.0" business model are now curiously investing in music distribution services, as if by chance! they've successfully lowered the price of admission into the music business by devaluing copyright for over 10 years, and i guarantee you once the tech companies are firmly planted in the game we'll start seeing much tighter restrictions, and a giant crackdown on piracy.

enjoy it while it lasts mr. seawell...
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalgren View Post
I can't believe there are people still holding out hope for an unregulated world wide web. The party is coming to an end. Move on please. It's getting stupid.

I won't laugh at you nor will I call you a fool, though. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
lol! that's awesome...
mobius.media
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
the next step will be blocking the domains regardless of where they are hosted.
29th November 2010
Old 29th November 2010
Lives for gear

I can't wait for them to get to metrolyrics.com which is a drive-by-download malware site that dumps a virus on your PC which results in pop-up ads. That's more damaging to me than torrents or mp3 downloads.

Waiting...
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search