Piracy Is Personal - Tell Your Story Here
16th October 2010
Old 16th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
But the ipod is a music player. It can't be used to pirate. If it wasn't around, there'd be just as much piracy, just stored on some other drive.
Uh, music transferred to an iPod an be put on a HD for mass re-distribution, they are not 100% uncrackable...
16th October 2010
Old 16th October 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Ladd View Post
Uh, music transferred to an iPod an be put on a HD for mass re-distribution, they are not 100% uncrackable...
"uncracking" isn't even necessary. You're talking about something that has been inherent in any media player since the record player was invented.

Analog hole
17th October 2010
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
"uncracking" isn't even necessary. You're talking about something that has been inherent in any media player since the record player was invented.

Analog hole
On my older iPod, I can read it was connected to USB on PC (minus iToonz) just like an external HD...

Good thing I don't dl tunes via iToonz, like my wife does on her MacBook Pro...and yes, I see her DLs just like my music that I record on it the iPod as memos when doing songwriting.

17th October 2010
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Analog hole
On my older iPod, I can read it was connected to USB on PC (minus iToonz) just like an external HD...

Good thing I don't dl tunes via iToonz, like my wife does on her MacBook Pro...and yes, I see her DLs just like the tunes I record on it as memos when doing songwriting.

P.S. Of course anything that is read by a soundcard can be directly transferred to software like SoundForge, including all streaming audio, but generally the audio is severely degraded...
17th October 2010
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

Recently I've gotten a reputation among friends. they all now not to trade, share or talk about stealing or music around me..... maybe some more vigilantes are in need.....
19th October 2010
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I think Apple have arguably strong armed musicians into the iTunes model.

Additionally, although I suppose you can't expect them to put their thoughts on the record, they continue to design and sell all kinds of media playback devices, with increasing storage capacity (iPod, iPhone, iPad) and have not said one single thing in support of creative people who have been decimated by the resulting free for all.
The silence is in fact deafening.
I argue Apple and itunes would not have succeeded without the consent and active participation of very wealthy media companies. They must be included as the "bad guys" if that is what you seek.

No one is stopping you from being creative - hasn't stopped me. You are conflating creativity with payment - two different things...
rack gear
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhizomeman View Post
I argue Apple and itunes would not have succeeded without the consent and active participation of very wealthy media companies. They must be included as the "bad guys" if that is what you seek.

No one is stopping you from being creative - hasn't stopped me. You are conflating creativity with payment - two different things...
yes, but historically the quality of creativity is shown to improve with better financial support.
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear maniac

Read a great post on Facebook, and I'm paraphrasing here, but it went something like;

I can't believe all the young people graduating with recording and music biz degrees that are griping about not being able to find a job. After all, they've been downloading free music for 10 years.
25th January 2011
Old 25th January 2011
Gear nut

Piracy turned me into a newt.
26th January 2011
Old 26th January 2011
26th January 2011
Old 26th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
I got better!
26th January 2011
Old 26th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord preset View Post
Gingrich?
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwarner View Post
My story is after 12 years of struggle and expense (demos cost $, esp in Nashville as people expect full tracks, well, up until the last few years) my wife finally co-wrote a country hit. This song has most likely been downloaded millions of times. I'm sure if it hadn't been available for free, many more people would have actually paid for it. As you know the ratio is 20:1, illegal to legal. When I read posts from pirates vilifying the music conglomerates to justify their poor ethical choices, I could lose it. Such pathetic oversimplification. Another favorite diversion is some Marxian double speak about free music making the world a better place, blah, blah, etc. These people have probably never made a dime from intellectual property. Let's get real, they just want their free sh*t.
if it is not too personal Bill, how much was made in your publishing deal on that song?
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I think Apple have arguably strong armed musicians into the iTunes model.

Additionally, although I suppose you can't expect them to put their thoughts on the record, they continue to design and sell all kinds of media playback devices, with increasing storage capacity (iPod, iPhone, iPad) and have not said one single thing in support of creative people who have been decimated by the resulting free for all.
The silence is in fact deafening.
did the iTunes store go down?

I know my iTunes store tab is at least 20 to 30 dollars a month....
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
did the iTunes store go down?

I know my iTunes store tab is at least 20 to 30 dollars a month....
That's the equivalent of about one album a month in the early to mid '70s.

I spent about $500 on CDs within the last few months.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
That's the equivalent of about one album a month in the early to mid '70s.

I spent about $500 on CDs within the last few months.
yeah- I dont find much that I am wanting to buy, though I am about to go on a mad Mike Garson CD spending spree....
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
yeah- I dont find much that I am wanting to buy, though I am about to go on a mad Mike Garson CD spending spree....
Admittedly, a lot of what I buy is old school country, blues, and "classic" rock. When I find a new act I like I try to buy the CD.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Admittedly, a lot of what I buy is old school country, blues, and "classic" rock. When I find a new act I like I try to buy the CD.
I would expect you to have lovely taste John, I do have to say that I like quite a bit more music than I buy, but that tends to me attempting to live a bit more minimally.

I know its totally heresy, but I do think Lady Gaga is doing some fairly cool stuff-
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
I would expect you to have lovely taste John, I do have to say that I like quite a bit more music than I buy, but that tends to me attempting to live a bit more minimally.

I know its totally heresy, but I do think Lady Gaga is doing some fairly cool stuff-
Oddly enough I like Gaga too. Not enough to buy any of her stuff, but she doesn't really need me for that.

Of course she's been working at it since she was 6 years old.......
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
... When I find a new act I like I try to buy the CD.
How you find them? That's my biggest problem - finding legal ways to find music that I like (usually old and/or well off the mainstream). My wife has it even worse, with her current interest in Middle Eastern music. Almost all of her purchases are from overseas sites, usually small run CDs, not available for download and the shipping costs are eye-watering.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hills View Post
How you find them? That's my biggest problem - finding legal ways to find music that I like (usually old and/or well off the mainstream). My wife has it even worse, with her current interest in Middle Eastern music. Almost all of her purchases are from overseas sites, usually small run CDs, not available for download and the shipping costs are eye-watering.
i usually go through Amazon
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Shipping from Amazon to here usually costs more than the CD. And few of the ones we're interested in have streaming previews.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Shipping from Amazon to here usually costs more than the CD. And few of the ones we're interested in have streaming previews.
sometimes exotica does cost more... Usually I will try to bind it to specific purchases to get free or reduced cost shipping though.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
References from friends, opening acts at shows, stuff like that. Sometimes I'll hear something at a bar and ask who it is.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
sometimes exotica does cost more... Usually I will try to bind it to specific purchases to get free or reduced cost shipping though.
Um, Don is in New Zealand.....
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Um, Don is in New Zealand.....
Is Amazon not serving New Zealand?
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Quote:
Is Amazon not serving New Zealand?
Yes, but I seriously doubt the shipping charges to NZ are anything remotely like they are in the USA.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, but I seriously doubt the shipping charges to NZ are anything remotely like they are in the USA.
I just had a strong feeling of deja vu... this really ought to be in
Buying music.

My answer is there. l
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
A while back I posted an example: CD $14, shipping from Amazon US $17. Shipping from Amazon Germany is even worse.

I just had a strong feeling of deja vu... this really ought to be in
Buying music.
indeed Don,- though I did just grab a lovely quote John made in the thread....

It's little wonder to me that the chain went out of business - you don't last long when you don't listen to your customers.
1st December 2011
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
... It's little wonder to me that the chain went out of business - you don't last long when you don't listen to your customers.
In this age of instant global communications, we tend to forget that the tyranny of distance still applies to physical objects.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search