essential priracy links (IP & Copyrights too)
rack gear
22nd October 2009
Old 22nd October 2009
Gear Guru

essential piracy links (IP & Copyrights too)

BOOKS:

Free Ride, How Digital Parasites Are Destroying The Culture Business ... by Robert Levine
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Ride-Para.../dp/0385533764

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...17011&s=143455

You Are Not A Gadget by Jaron Lanier
Amazon.com: You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto (9780307269645): Jaron Lanier: Books

Connecting to the iTunes Store.

iTunes - Books - You Are Not a Gadget by Jaron Lanier

CURRENT LEGISLATION (NOV 2011):

SOPA

Read The Bill: S. 968 - GovTrack.us
S. 968 - Summary: Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)
Stop Online Piracy Act [Walkthrough] | Copyhype

ABOUT IP:

Intellectual Property Law: Why Should I Care?

Intellectual property - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA Dept Of Justice Creates IP Task Force
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/stories/101210doj/view
U.S. announces intellectual property watchdog | Reuters

DMCA NOTICE HOW TO:

YOUTUBE DMCA TAKE DOWN NOTICE : HOW TO
Here's how to have illegal infringing works removed from YouTube if you are the content rights holder:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

here's more:

BLOGGER DMCA TAKE DOWN NOTICE : HOW TO
if music you own or control the rights to is on blogger illegally you can use this link to submit a DMCA take down notice - you should be fully aware of DMCA rules before doing so.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Blogger - Blogger Help

MYSPACE DMCA TAKE DOWN NOTICE : HOW TO
If your music is being illegally streamed on MySpace and you are the content rights owner/holder here is how you can get it removed:
Notification of copyright infringement | MySpace Help

###

DMCA Wiki
Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ANTI-PIRACY AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTION ORGANIZATIONS:

Music Rights Now
Music Rights Now | Facebook

Creative America
Home | Creative America

Music Tech Policy
www.musictechpolicy.com

Copy Hype
Copyhype

Pop Up Pirates
Dirty Money. Who Profits from Piracy?

ACTA - Wiki
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ACTA
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) | Office of the United States Trade Representative

WIPO
WIPO - World Intellectual Property Organization

Global Congress
Global Congress Combatting Counterfeiting & Piracy

Last edited by rack gear; 14th February 2010 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: updating
rack gear
13th February 2010
Old 13th February 2010
Gear Guru

Copyright Alliance

The Copyright Alliance believes that copyright law promotes creativity and job creation and strengthens the U.S. economy. Those who create, render, and publish copyrighted works rely on the copyright law and its enforcement, for their creative and financial success. Without it, these creators would likely cease to exist, or at the very least, cease to produce these important works that are enjoyed by billions of people around the world.

Our shared belief in protecting copyrighted creative works brings together in the Copyright Alliance a broad panoply of parties, from artists’ unions to major publishers. A sweeping swath of creative works are represented, from songwriters to photographers, motion pictures to videogames, recording artists to graphic designers, software developers to sports leagues.
We are committed to promoting the cultural and economic benefits of copyright, providing information and resources on the contributions of copyright, and upholding the contributions of copyright to the fiscal health of this nation and for the good of creators, owners and consumers around the world.

The Copyright Alliance is a non-profit, non-partisan educational organization dedicated to the value of copyright as an agent for creativity, jobs and growth. It is a 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization. Membership fees and contributions are not tax deductible as charitable donations. However, membership fees may be deductible as ordinary business expenses under IRC Section 162. Please consult your tax advisor.
Address:

Copyright Alliance
1224 M St. NW Suite 301
Washington, DC 20005
Our Principles

Recognizing that property rights and free expression are drivers of economic growth and personal freedoms, the Copyright Alliance promotes the following principles:

Cultural Enrichment
  • To enrich our culture through incentives to create and disseminate new and innovative creative works to citizens
Progress
  • To promote the progress of science and creativity, as enumerated in the U.S. Constitution, by upholding and strengthening copyright law and preventing its diminishment
Education
  • To advance educational programs that teach the value of strong copyright and its vital role in fostering creative expression, driving economic growth, and enriching the lives of our citizens
Enforcement
  • To protect the incentive to create by supporting effective civil and criminal enforcement of copyright laws domestically and internationally
Dissemination
  • To defend the rights of creators to control their property, understanding the necessary balance of those rights with the public good
Global Development
  • To encourage the inclusion of copyright protections in bilateral, regional, and multilateral agreements to protect creators and foster global development
Free Expression
  • To protect the rights of creators to express themselves freely under the principles established in the First Amendment, with copyright as an "engine of free expression"
14th February 2010
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

Redvelvetstudios, Thank you for all your posts regarding this topic. Tons of great reading!
rack gear
29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Gear Guru

stats, reports and more stats...

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news/companies/napster_music_industry/

Quote:
The disease of free

The battle for paying digital customers may have been lost before it had truly begun. In 1999, Napster, a free online file-sharing service, made its debut. Not only did Napster help change the way most people got music, it also lowered the price point from $14 for a CD to free.

"It's pretty easy to give away something for free," said Russell Frackman, the lead attorney for the music industry in its 1999 case against Napster. "It's not that the music industry thought the technology was bad, it just objected to the use to which it was being put."

RESOURCES - IFPI publishes Digital Music Report 2009

Quote:
Despite these developments, the music sector is still overshadowed by the huge amount of unlicensed music distributed online. Collating separate studies in 16 countries over a three-year period, IFPI estimates over 40 billion files were illegally file-shared in 2008, giving a piracy rate of around 95 per cent.
Only 0.3% of BitTorrent files legal

Report Corrected, Piracy up 20%

I'm not saying if piracy we're magically removed we'd see a 20x's increase in sales (assuming a 95% piracy rate), but I do think we'll start to see an increase of 2-3x's from where we are now with reasonable management of piracy.

Average Teen’s iPod Has $800 Of Pirated Music » Podcasting News

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudplayer View Post
As far as legal vs illegal files on ipods...
I teach a large survey class every semester at a major public university. We've had about 1000 students go through this class, mostly freshmen, so I'm talking about a generation that was born after 1990. I conduct surveys about music consumption, and have found the following:
• 95+% of students listen to mp3s on mobile devices. Some have collections of dozens or hundreds of gigabytes of mp3s, mostly consisting of rock, hip hop, and country music, with regional indie music making up a significant 4th category
• only approximately 10% of students have ever purchased music through any online service such as iTunes
• only about 30% of students have actually ever physically touched any form of physical music media such as a CD or LP, and fewer still actually own any
These numbers are consistent from semester to semester - the only one that is declining is the percentage who have touched any form of physical music media.

So where is all of this music coming from? It's not from iTunes. It's not from CD rips. It's from rapidshare and torrents. 1000 college students born after 1990 is not enough to generalize on a national basis (but it does provide more statistics than most of the posters here), but I've seen plenty of other well-documented peer-reviewed studies that indicate similar percentages - that at best 10% of music stored on iPods owned by 18-24 olds is legitimately purchased.
That too is first hand, personal experience.

Scary Stat: Album Sales Down 54.6 Percent Since 2000... — Digital Music News

and...
Piracy accounts for 95.6% of all music downloaded in Spain

and...
File sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In 2004, an estimated 70 million people participated in online file sharing.[89] According to a CBS News poll, nearly 70 percent of 18 to 29 year olds thought file sharing was acceptable in some circumstances and 58 percent of all Americans who followed the file sharing issue considered it acceptable in at least some circumstances.[90]
In January 2006, 32 million Americans over the age of 12 had downloaded at least one feature length movie from the Internet, 80 percent of whom had done so exclusively over P2P. Of the population sampled, 40 percent felt that downloading copyrighted movies off the Internet constituted a very serious offense, however 78 percent believed taking a DVD from a store without paying for it constituted a very serious offense.[91]
In February 2008, the LA Times Blog published results of a US campus attitude survey which showed that 64 percent of respondents downloaded music regularly through file-sharing networks and other unauthorized sources. The respondents were also asked to rate on a 1 to 7 scale "how nervous they were about being punished for illegal downloading" (with 1 being "not concerned" and 7 being "extremely concerned"). Two-thirds answered 1 (43 percent) or 2 (24 percent) but only 4 percent answered 5 or 6, and none answered 7, "extremely concerned".[92][93]
In July 2008, 20 percent of Europeans used file sharing networks to obtain music, while 10 percent used paid-for digital music services such as iTunes.[94]

29th September 2010
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Haven't you already posted each of those links at least a dozen times?
rack gear
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
Haven't you already posted each of those links at least a dozen times?
same question gets the same answer, funny how that is...

no matter how many times they're posted people keep asking for them... just like you did in that other thread earlier today... give the people what they're asking for!

it'll just be easier to link to this post, than to keep reposting it in every thread that asks for it...
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

I really wish you would see how repeating yourself like this is not helping you make your point. It actually makes it look like people with your perspective are not reasonable.. and people who don't share your views need to be shouted down with multitudes of posts that say the same thing over and over.

Please, do yourself and your cause a favor and be reasonable with the amount of times you cut and paste the same thing over and over.

Frankly, I wish the moderators of this site would jump in and request the same thing, but I'm sure they have better things to do.

Please, just consider it.
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear addict

I'm thrilled he posted it. I just saw these links for the first time, and have emailed my respective Congressmen.

The reaction to this bill by those that take music without permission is nauseating. We have a word for these disingenuous cretins: Freetards.

THEY'RE the greedy pigs.
rack gear
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
I really wish you would see how repeating yourself like this is not helping you make your point. It actually makes it look like people with your perspective are not reasonable.. and people who don't share your views need to be shouted down with multitudes of posts that say the same thing over and over.

Please, do yourself and your cause a favor and be reasonable with the amount of times you cut and paste the same thing over and over.

Frankly, I wish the moderators of this site would jump in and request the same thing, but I'm sure they have better things to do.

Please, just consider it.
as many times as people ask for this information, or suggest that it does not exist is as many times as it will get posted... kinda like the infinite pro-piracy talking points like...

- it's not stealing
- digital bits are worthless
- how do you know that piracy is hurting paid sales

etc, etc, etc, etc...

I'm only responding to the same questions that are asked over, and over, and over, over... it's funny how the when the same question is asked, it has the same answer...
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by music monk View Post
as many times as people ask for this information, or suggest that it does not exist is as many times as it will get posted... kinda like the infinite pro-piracy talking points like...

- it's not stealing
- digital bits are worthless
- how do you know that piracy is hurting paid sales

etc, etc, etc, etc...

I'm only responding to the same questions that are asked over, and over, and over, over... it's funny how the when the same question is asked, it has the same answer...
So why do you keep changing your name on the forum?
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
So why do you keep changing your name on the forum?
Question was already asked and answered. He does it because he likes doing it.

Whatever.

It's a mildly annoying quirk - like people who crack their bubble gum.
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by music monk View Post
it's funny how the when the same question is asked, it has the same answer...
Actually, I have no bones about that... when someone asks the question, it seems GREAT that you post it. Makes perfect sense! I don't think it answers the question, but that's no problem, it's your argument and it's fair, even if it might not be that strong of an argument.

The problem I have is, here, there was no question asked... so... your point doesn't really make sense in that context.

Also, whenever I've tried to engage you about a different but related topic as i did in the Is the decline of the music industry a symptom of social change thread, you still post the same cut and paste when it is not relevant.

Again, take it for what it's worth... I don't want to see you fail, I want to see you succeed in solving the problem... but I don't find it helps your argument, and I don't think it presents your view well. Carry on though.
30th September 2010
Old 30th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
Actually, I have no bones about that... when someone asks the question, it seems GREAT that you post it. Makes perfect sense! I don't think it answers the question, but that's no problem, it's your argument and it's fair, even if it might not be that strong of an argument.

The problem I have is, here, there was no question asked... so... your point doesn't really make sense in that context.

Also, whenever I've tried to engage you about a different but related topic as i did in the Is the decline of the music industry a symptom of social change thread, you still post the same cut and paste when it is not relevant.

Again, take it for what it's worth... I don't want to see you fail, I want to see you succeed in solving the problem... but I don't find it helps your argument, and I don't think it presents your view well. Carry on though.
One thing he's very good at is titling his links and threads in such a way that when he links back to them, if the person doesn't actually click through and see it's just another forum opinion post, biased article or completely irrelevant to the topic, they appear to be factual references supporting his argument, at least to the casual viewer.
rack gear
18th November 2011
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
BOOKS:

Free Ride, How Digital Parasites Are Destroying The Culture Business ... by Robert Levine

Amazon.com: You Are Not a Gadget: A Manifesto (9780307269645): Jaron Lanier: Books

SOPA

S. 968 - Summary: Preventing Real Online Threats to Economic Creativity and Theft of Intellectual Property Act of 2011 (GovTrack.us)

ABOUT IP:

DMCA NOTICE HOW TO:

Here's how to have illegal infringing works removed from YouTube if you are the content rights holder:

here's more:

if music you own or control the rights to is on blogger illegally you can use this link to submit a DMCA take down notice - you should be fully aware of DMCA rules before doing so.

If your music is being illegally streamed on MySpace and you are the content rights owner/holder here is how you can get it removed:

###

DMCA Wiki

Music Rights Now

Creative America
Home | Creative America

Music Tech Policy
www.musictechpolicy.com

Copy Hype
Copyhype

Pop Up Pirates

ACTA - Wiki

ACTA
Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) | Office of the United States Trade Representative

WIPO

Global Congress

bump
18th November 2011
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

zzzzz ... huh? whazzat? ... darn possums ... zzzzz
19th November 2011
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
BOOKS:

SOPA

ABOUT IP:

DMCA NOTICE HOW TO:

here's more:

###

DMCA Wiki

Music Rights Now

Creative America
Home | Creative America

Music Tech Policy
www.musictechpolicy.com

Copy Hype
Copyhype

Pop Up Pirates

ACTA - Wiki

ACTA

WIPO

Global Congress

Ah, thanks man,
was doing some Fall cleaning of my computer and accidently lost some links i was looking for.
Very helpful indeed!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search