Login / Register

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)
New Reply
Subscribe
Chevy-Rec
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Head

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)

Hi, everyone, my name is Sebastian. I’ve been an enthusiastic follower of threads on Gearlutz (“studio building” in particular) for many years, though I never commented much. I was more like a “lurker”…
I’m from Argentina, used to live in BA city but three years ago I moved to the mountains (Cordoba Province) and two years ago I embarked in what is the adventure of my life! We are talking about a 320sq meter (3,400 sq feet) residential recording studio, miles away from any other buildings.
I am now in the final stage, if there is a final stage regarding studios, and wanted to share my experience, some pics, etc., with the Gearlutz community, which has been of great help to me during these years.
It all has been done with great effort, I was very much involved in the design, and have almost stop working for a while (as a producer and sound engineer, which was what I did) as I am totally absorbed by the construction process: buying the materials, supervising workers and even being part of the construction team, dealing with providers... [Apart from welding the patchbays, deciding on gear, etc…]
That’s why it has taken me so long to start this thread. Hope you all like it and enjoy it!
I also would like to share my facebook page with you. Though most posts are in Spanish, I am planning to make it bilingual. It is www.facebook.com/sonoramica
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08583_1.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-planta-grafica-gearlutz.jpg  
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Head

That looks absolutely beautiful there - eager to see more posts!
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Head

That's indeed a veery beautiful place. I go to Argentina almost every year, and although Buenos Aires may be the most famous destination the Cordoba province is the most beautiful.
Love Carlos Paz, San Marcos, Altas Gracia, La Cumbresita...could spend hours here mentioning places.

I'm eager to see the pics of the studio!
16th September 2013
Old 16th September 2013
Gear nut

Buena suerte compatriota! ...tremenda jugada hiciste! irse de BA a la paz de las montañas...

toda la mierda para vos!
Chevy-Rec
17th September 2013
Old 17th September 2013
Gear Head

thank you all for your comments! tomorrow i´ll start uploading more pictures, as chronologically as possible, trying to summarize the past two years so we can get to the present and then start a day-to-day account ... in the meantime, these two pictures were taken today: we had a beautiful snow, which is quite unusual down here...
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09510.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09442.jpg  
Chevy-Rec
18th September 2013
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Head

One, is a free hand drawing of the studio done at the beginning of the project.

The other one shows the 24 acre field where the studio and additional premises are / will be located:

Next to the studio is my house and the lodging area is around 200m away.

In order to make the access road more "car friendly" we have now changed it. It now goes closer to the field border.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dibujo-2.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-plano-3.jpg  
Chevy-Rec
18th September 2013
Old 18th September 2013
Gear Head

And these are some renders based on the first draft of the project.
I will be soon adding and explaining modifications soon!
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-cor-cam01-00.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-cor-cam02-00.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-cor-cam03-00.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-cor-cam04-00.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-cor-cam05-00.jpg  

19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Gear Head

Did you do the designs by yourself?
They seem very good. Do you have the layouts?
Chevy-Rec
23rd September 2013
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Head

There were many people involved in the design process. I first had some preliminar talks with Mariano Rodriguez, studio designer and friend from MRB design Group. we discussed needs, sizes, overall concept regarding the studio and technical issues (Prelim layouts). Then, my brother, who is an industrial designer, introduced the idea of using curves in order to make the design more dynamic and integrated into the environment and geography of the place (bocetos). Based on all that, the architects from BF+U did their first presentation. and finallly we reached to the floorplan that I uploaded in my first post and I have been trying to be as faithful as it as possible. There is also a engineer who is helping me with structural issues since it is me who is in charge of the building process. The design process took more than a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-prelim_a.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-boceto-1.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-boceto-3.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-boceto-4.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-croquis-conjunto.jpg  

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-planta-conjunto.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-planta-estudio.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Prelim_B.pdf (69.6 KB, 58 views)
Chevy-Rec
23rd September 2013
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Head

How the story began....

When we decided to move from BA City to Traslasierra and build a residential recording studio, we started looking for the right piece of land to do so. It took us around a year and a half until we finally found and bought this land. It was parctically a virgin area. 3km away from asphalt and 7 km away from the center of MIna Clavero, the closest town. We had to choose the location for the different buildings (house, studio & lodging) and clear those areas, trying to keep at the same time, the landscape as natural as possible. We had to make a dirty road, bring electric power, bury the electrical cable (this is a stony terrain, that was not easy), make a water pit to have water, and so on. We did all these while still living in Buenos Aires and it took us another year approx. I will try to upload some pictures soon.
Chevy-Rec
23rd September 2013
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Head

Here in Argentina it is common to use bricks made and burned like in what may be "old school" for some of you. In Traslasierra, there is a town called Va. Dolores where there are many places that build traditional soil bricks. I managed to get custom made bricks for me, that were wider than the standard size, in order to suit my structural needs. Their size is 15x7x27 cm (6 x 2.7 x 10.6 inches).
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-bricks01.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-bricks02.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-bricks03.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-bricks04.jpg  
Chevy-Rec
28th September 2013
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Head

As the studio is built on a practically single large piece of rock (monolith), there was practically no need to bury the foundations or steel rebars (i think this is the word, sorry if technical terminology is not too accurate!) too deep. At some parts, you could say that after the loading shovel (quite a painteresque vehicle since it was made out from a modified old farm tractor put back to front) cleared the lot, brushing with a broom with little water was all we had to do instead of digging! Though the parts we did have to dig were lots of work, the terrain is rocky and hard; we bought a pneumatic hammer for this purpose.
We then built a little wall to level the floors. We left three steps between the service zone and the control, B and C rooms, and two more steps between these rooms and Room A. This was slightly different from the original plan, but we had to diminish the quantity of fill required and also wanted to prevent the building from being too high.
There is a picture where you can see a man filling a rebar with a shovel. That rebar was the first one to be filled and was the one that determined the level of the floors of the entire building. It belongs to the control room back wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-p1010551.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-p1010565.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-snc00269.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-snc00270.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-snc00280.jpg  

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-snc00291_pano.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-snc00332.jpg  
28th September 2013
Old 28th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Extremely cool! I love the 6th image above, where the footprint of the building is expressed directly on the land.
Chevy-Rec
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Extremely cool! I love the 6th image above, where the footprint of the building is expressed directly on the land.
Thanks, Clueless! I used to follow your thread back then!
yes, a lot of Dogville-like situations during that period... sometimes i could almost feel the door knobs..
Chevy-Rec
29th September 2013
Old 29th September 2013
Gear Head

here, some pics showing the preliminars... lots of hard work... and some fun...
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc02675.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc02701.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc03248.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc03252.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc03340.jpg  

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc03347.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-p1010099.jpg  
Chevy-Rec
11th October 2013
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Head

We then started to fill the construction site with the fill dirt and then began raising the first walls. At this time we were just three people working, so we had to do things that were manageable for us. The process was slow but constant. We did not raise one of Room B walls (facing west, the studio faces south) so that the trucks with the filling material could get in. (we took advantage of a natural slope in the terrain). We used 30 trucks (approx..5,297.2 ft3) of fill to level.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08608.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08605-2520-2520dsc08606.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08747.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09283-dsc09284.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09434.jpg  

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09279.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09438.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc00001.jpg  
11th October 2013
Old 11th October 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ckreon
Looking incredible!
Chevy-Rec
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear Head

This is the service zone, this was the first roof we did. In this case we did mixture on the ground with a portable cement mixer and took it up in buckets. As in transit concrete mixers do not get here due to the rocky dirty road and there are no pumps in this area either, we had no choice in this sense. For the rest of the roofs we took the cement, sand, and stones (as well as the portable mixer) up the day before, which made the rest easier.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08611.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09424.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08708.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc09432.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc08714.jpg  

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01632.jpg  
Chevy-Rec
21st October 2013
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

This is the reinforced concrete beam over the window of the control room, which faces Room A. This was the first big beam we did. There was only two of us to fill it. We filled it at the same time than the columns. A hard day´s work.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01519.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01580.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01584.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01602.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01652.jpg  

Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01655.jpg  
21st October 2013
Old 21st October 2013
Gear interested

incredible view
22nd October 2013
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear nut

amazing... we stay tuned for more...
-R
23rd October 2013
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear interested

Sebastian, like yourself i've been a lurker here for a long time. Your build/post gave me a reason to finally post.

I'm glad to get to see a build made the argentinian way, with the argentinian resources. Just by seeing the studio design and the beautiful place you've chosen, I can presume that it will be a dreamplace for making music.

I wish you all the best with this project. I'll be waiting for the updates.

leonardog,
Desde Bs As. (por respeto al foro elegí escribir en ingles)
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Holy crap. This place is stunning.
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

so beautiful. I love the windows- are some of those in the tracking rooms? It seems like that'd be great inspiration while tracking (the view).
Chevy-Rec
9th November 2013
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Head

hi twentyhertz...
sorry for the delay in the answer... was away for a few days
yes, all the rooms have windows with different views...
you can see through the windows of one room while you are in another one (this is also because all the doors between rooms are fully glazed doors), Room C has even a view of the fourth cardinal points...
11th November 2013
Old 11th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy-Rec View Post
hi twentyhertz...
sorry for the delay in the answer... was away for a few days
yes, all the rooms have windows with different views...
you can see through the windows of one room while you are in another one (this is also because all the doors between rooms are fully glazed doors), Room C has even a view of the fourth cardinal points...
Fantastic. Can't wait to see more of the build. Carry on!
17th November 2013
Old 17th November 2013
Gear interested

This looks like it'll be an awesome thread! Can't wait for more pics.
18th November 2013
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Head

Hi,
we have been a bit busy, traveled to Buenos Aires City to buy things we cannot find in this area and couldn´t post any pictures... so, let´s go back to business:

The next stage (after finishing the service zone roof) was to raise the walls of the rest of the rooms. In that process, we made the beams of the external and internal (between rooms) doors & windows. Then, we continued with the roofs. We did Room C (or sound-lock) first, then Room B, and then the control room. As they are of different heights, and I needed to finish Room C and Room B in order to be able to do Control Room. These three roofs are the “small ones” compared to Room A.
At that moment, we were only two/three people working and all this part took almost a year. It was possible to do this with so few people because we used “viguetas” (kind of concrete roof slab) which constitute a common building technique here and the dimensions we were dealing with were still within standard sizes.
We first arranged the wooden supports for the center area of the roof and then we slid the “viguetas” over it until they reached their final position.
When it came to fill the roofs, we completed the workteam with some friends and extra workers. Whenever it was possible, we always worked from adjacent roofs. In the case of Control Room roof we had finished roofs almost all around its perimeter.
Chevy-Rec
18th November 2013
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Head

Chevy-Rec
18th November 2013
Old 18th November 2013
Gear Head

Rooms C&B
Attached Thumbnails
Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc01825-dsc01826.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc02087.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc02382_roofroomb.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc02387.jpg   Sonoramica, a faraway studio (Argentina)-dsc02393.jpg  

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search