Studio "Mack" building
mack666
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

Studio "Mack" building

hello everyone, this is my first post on the Gearslutz forum. My name is Marin(nickname Mack), coming from Croatia. I am 22 years old and studying at SAE Institute Ljubljana. I am a guitar player and first time i get in touch with recording was like 5 years ago, and till then my drems aro to build a studio one day, and now that day has finally come.

the place where i will build studio is on the first floor, and in the ground floor is my dad's caffe bar. Place have around 80 square meters and ceeling is not flat so this is good i suppose. Also the isolation is pretty good, because we recorded drums for my band first album here and downstairs when the music i playing at speaking level in bar, there is no spills from upstairs, so one plus in the start. I will now post only plans from top view, but tommorow when i come home i will post pictures of place so you can give me maybe some better advices how i plan to build this. I also read like 100threads of bulding studios, and men there are some crazy projects
i don't have too big budget, but i will done everything professional no matter if something will be expansier than expected, but that's how it goes, right?

plan:

A: hallway, there are stairs wich lead to the first floor, because entrance is in ground floor.
B: this will be my storage room for power, for air conditioner, etc...i also need to break the wall where the doors are in the plan
C: Controol room
D: this is the toilet, but because the pipes are allready build like so that i can not buils smaller room, so this is the smallest possible where i put the wall which seperate CR from toilet. Because that this must be that big, and i also have pipes for shower, i will put jacuzzi in the corner
E: This will be my Live room
F: this will be vocal booth and totally dead room

so yea guys, please give me maybe some tips, and i will soon posts pictures of place
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear addict

Good luck with your build.
I'm building a studio with 90sqm too in another Thread.

I love Croatia! Where in Croatia will your studio be built?

regards
Ricardo
mack666
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Gear nut

in the town Cakovec, it's in north of Croatia, around 100kom from the capital city, Zagreb...small town, 15.000 people
28th February 2013
Old 28th February 2013
Lives for gear

Why not "E" as your control room and "C" as your live room?

Thats what I'd do.
mack666
1st March 2013
Old 1st March 2013
Gear nut

jea, but than i cannot entrence to all other rooms directly from CR, so it must be in the middle, eventually i can expand LR, because walls between CR and LR, and LR and vocal booth doesnt exist in my place, i had to build them...
mack666
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Gear nut

here are the pictures of the place. It is still everything in because, but work will start for about week or two, maybe someone can give some better advices about placing things around here, but console be somewhere at the right wall, where the ceeling is angled

1. Entrance:

2. Picture from main door:

3. From the place where wall between CR and bathroom will be:

4. From the LR:

5. In that corner where the ceeling is straight will be vocal booth + one or two cabinet booth:

6. Right from the main door i need to breake the wall, there is empty room inside which will be for al el. stuff and closet for equipment:

7. look where the bathroom will be:
mack666
18th October 2013
Old 18th October 2013
Gear nut

so build finally started this week and here are the results after 5 days of working. I am doing everything by myself, just a little help from the girlfriend(that's a great girl). Pictures are saying everything!

Starting framing the first main wall between live room and control room

First inner frame is done

framing side walls of live room to close the windows

framing the outer main wall with gap inside, around 5cm

rockwool is fitting the frame

demolishing the main wall which leads to the room which was without entrance, so this will be my office and storage for the microphones and cables.

door frame is in place, after 6 hours of work, 30cm bricks + 5cm of concrete

main wall with first layer of rockwool placed, 10cm at each wall + there will be another 3cm oh hard rock wool + double drywall with gap on each side. the walls are completly isolated with soft 5mm rubber track so it won't vibrate with the floor. Update soon
mack666
25th October 2013
Old 25th October 2013
Gear nut

i finish with first layer of a dry wall and started with the second one. Between layers of dry wall i am putting rubber track to get 1-2mm air gap. I am very happy how the project cotinues and you guys if have any comments or sugestions please write, thanks a lot!

the main wall form the control room, without second rockwoll placed. Horizontal framing for drywall is in progress and will finish today.

second layer of dry wall with air gap as i mentioned and rubber track between.

this is how it looks from side where will windows and doors go, update soon!
mack666
29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Gear nut

so yesterday we almost finished live room, just need to put another layer of drywall and than it is ready for painting in primer colour. I will first make all framing and set up all drywall to paint them in prime white color. After that i am going to get all wooden floors and than acoustics and furniture which is all also made by myself.

Some pictures of progress:

30th October 2013
Old 30th October 2013
Gear interested

Nice work

Hey thanks for sharing the pictures of your hard work. You're moving along pretty quickly.
mack666
31st October 2013
Old 31st October 2013
Gear nut

thanks a lot

i am trying as hard as I can to finish everything by the end of the year, because in January 2014. mixing console is arriving + some outboard, update soon!
31st October 2013
Old 31st October 2013
Gear nut

Love this, whats the name of the metal things that you're putting the wood into, they look very handy!
mack666
31st October 2013
Old 31st October 2013
Gear nut

this is metal profiles, let say in direct translation from croatian, i dont know how to say that correctly in english but there is also vertical pieces, but i go only on the floor and ceiling with them just because of easier placing them
6th November 2013
Old 6th November 2013
Gear nut

Awesome build! And quick results too good luck with everything, ill be following the progress
mack666
7th November 2013
Old 7th November 2013
Gear nut

tnx a lot!

work is in progress as money "arriving" :D
7th November 2013
Old 7th November 2013
Gear maniac

I see in the photo of the window that you have covered the gap between the two walls with osb board, is that temporary? if not, it's a bad idea, it causes flanking sound loss between walls.
mack666
12th November 2013
Old 12th November 2013
Gear nut

yes i wanted to connect to walls and paint the osb panels so i want have visual gap. Better si to leave the gap? i can cut of osb in the middle if it makes major difference
12th November 2013
Old 12th November 2013
Gear maniac

Yes leave the gap, it will help
14th November 2013
Old 14th November 2013
Gear nut

Hey mack, lookin great!
You posted a picture earlier of you framing in front of a wall that had an existing window. Did you remove the outer window? My project has similar windows so im knocking them out and boarding/insulating them to keep sound in. Did you treat your existing outer windows at all?
15th November 2013
Old 15th November 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack666 View Post
yes i wanted to connect to walls and paint the osb panels so i want have visual gap. Better si to leave the gap? i can cut of osb in the middle if it makes major difference
the whole point of building 2 walls is that they are not connecting with each other. To avoid resonances to be transferred to the other room.
It is also important that the walls / ceiling / floor is decoupled from the existing room.
mack666
19th November 2013
Old 19th November 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurred8218 View Post
Hey mack, lookin great!
You posted a picture earlier of you framing in front of a wall that had an existing window. Did you remove the outer window? My project has similar windows so im knocking them out and boarding/insulating them to keep sound in. Did you treat your existing outer windows at all?
I leave windows frames and everything as they are, because it is on the second floor and there is nothing around, only on one side is houses around 100m from it, so it won't be a problem about sound leaking i closed this in terms of acoustics which will be done in the end, and from the outside, i will cover all windows with some kind of foil with printed my studio logo
mack666
19th November 2013
Old 19th November 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrumdrum View Post
the whole point of building 2 walls is that they are not connecting with each other. To avoid resonances to be transferred to the other room.
It is also important that the walls / ceiling / floor is decoupled from the existing room.
exactly, both walls are not in direct connection with floors or ceiling to prevent vibrations, and also i cut the middle of osb boards, but i think it will be ugly if they will be visual gap between the windows when they go up, any idea for that?
19th November 2013
Old 19th November 2013
Gear addict

We used black fabric to cover the gap between the two walls inside the window frame.
mack666
19th November 2013
Old 19th November 2013
Gear nut

thanks for the idea, or maybe some foam is also good idea! Update is coming soon
4th December 2013
Old 4th December 2013
Gear Head

Any updates??

Good luck with the build.
mack666
7th December 2013
Old 7th December 2013
Gear nut

the work is in progress for three days in a week, here is little update. Next week skyline difusors will be build in the ceiling of the control room so i had to demolish the whole ceiling to lower it in the line with the difusors and i order 160m of 5cm x 5cm wood for them and i will be putting mathematical difusor at the back, around the window, in control room. Right now i am finishing a chill out space and office:

- this is space for chill out, i will put some sofa and TV with some 7.1 surround for video production check and for clients to relax

- this is how looks till now from this chill out space

-i put door up at the office and do drywall, electrics and light

9th December 2013
Old 9th December 2013
Gear interested

Lookin' good!

Pozdrav iz Zagreba, majstore!
mack666
9th December 2013
Old 9th December 2013
Gear nut

Tnx:D (Hvala majstore )
mack666
11th December 2013
Old 11th December 2013
Gear nut

Wood for skyline diffusors arrived today, i am a little concern about how will i hang them on the ceiling. I will demolish ceiling in control room and lower it after so it will be in the sam height as diffusers, it will look nicer till the end of the week i hope that ceiling in control room will be finished and walls will be ready for primer white paint

mack666
16th December 2013
Old 16th December 2013
Gear nut

So i finished with drywall work in all rooms, now is only design of the ceiling left to be done before painting everything. I started with cutting woods for diffusers, 6 of them will be hang out in the ceiling, and on the back wall i will be putting one mathematical diffuser.

Can somebody help me about as you see in the last pic, is okay to leave window and do diffuser around it even if the sides won't be simetrical or to close window complete? and then i had to do ventilation system

so this is back of the control room, any tips?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search