Blasted Records.. Sound Studio design build
Old 19th December 2012
Gear interested

Blasted Records.. Sound Studio Build - Panama City, FL

So we just acquired a new building to build as our studio, and I want to do this as well as I can. So I figured here would be the place to start. As well as post pictures and updates of the progress. The building is 32ftx28ft with 16ft ceilings. Currently split inside with a 12.5x22.5 room and 5x6 bathroom. My original thought is to keep the room as control room and the larger area for tracking. What ideas do you guys have for this

I will try to put together a general current floor plan for you to see soon

Last edited by Blastedrecords; 20th December 2012 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: added location to title.
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

floor plan. as is.

I'm working on putting together a plan of what the engineer and myself and been working on. but what is your input on this space.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-12-19 at 9.26.58 PM.png
Views: 2123
Size:  29.4 KB
Attached Images
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

First Draft

here is a plan of what we're looking to do with this space.
Name:  1st draft.png
Views: 4089
Size:  59.8 KB
the idea is to rebuild the bathroom and control room with a hall between the two. and use an airgap between walls in the control, and tracking rooms. as well as putting in the two iso booths.

any thoughts?
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear
I'd rethink the CR dimensions. You have enough space to use typical room dimension ratios to optimize your modal response and get the largest possible sweet spot for the mix position. I don't know that you can achieve that with your current plan. I've seen rooms of a similar size where the CR had it's main window set on a 45 degree angle, so in your drawing, the mix position would be looking on angle from the lower right towards the upper left. So the CR would take up some of the space on the lower middle that is currently tracking space. You could then move a booth between the upper (in your drawing) end of what is currently the CR so the booth would be between your CR and the bathroom. It gets down to priorities - mine are for mixes that translate so I think of the CR first. With 14' of available height, you could build an excellent if a bit smallish CR and still have enough space for a booth or two and a live room with the capability of excellent drum sound, for example. In my plan, to the left of the CR over to the left wall, I'd put in a small equipment room and airlock to get from CR to LR.

It also looks like you have a triple leaf between the CR and LR. You certainly don't want that.
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
I'd rethink the CR dimensions. You have enough space to use typical room dimension ratios to optimize your modal response and get the largest possible sweet spot for the mix position. I don't know that you can achieve that with your current plan. I've seen rooms of a similar size where the CR had it's main window set on a 45 degree angle, so in your drawing, the mix position would be looking on angle from the lower right towards the upper left. So the CR would take up some of the space on the lower middle that is currently tracking space. You could then move a booth between the upper (in your drawing) end of what is currently the CR so the booth would be between your CR and the bathroom. It gets down to priorities - mine are for mixes that translate so I think of the CR first. With 14' of available height, you could build an excellent if a bit smallish CR and still have enough space for a booth or two and a live room with the capability of excellent drum sound, for example. In my plan, to the left of the CR over to the left wall, I'd put in a small equipment room and airlock to get from CR to LR.

It also looks like you have a triple leaf between the CR and LR. You certainly don't want that.

so you're saying to basically enlarge the hallway to use as a machine room so that I can isolate out the gear noise. and then turn the control room at a 45 degree angle facing the opposite corner?
Old 20th December 2012
Gear interested

I feel like going with fairly normal control room dimensions will just eat up too much of the live room.

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 12.49.40 PM.png
Views: 2415
Size:  31.6 KB
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastedrecords View Post
I feel like going with fairly normal control room dimensions will just eat up too much of the live room.

Attachment 321961
You don't have to dedicate more square footage, just use a different shape. Read up on room modes. The dimensions - and the length to width to height ratios - are a huge part of the equation.

But it's your place, do as you want. I'm just trying to help you get the best sound within your constraints.
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

Right I totally understand. I was actually thinking of hiring someone to help with a more acoustically tuned shape to fit in the areas that already exist . Ideally we would use the space longways and just opt out of window. But I've done that before and I really want the window this time around

Thanks again for the input, you've helped float more ideas around this little mind of mine
Old 21st December 2012
Lives for gear
You're welcome. Post pictures as you progress!
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

will most definitely. just waiting on the previous owner to finish moving their stuff out. my "move in" date is January 20th. so I will be starting deconstruction/construction then.
Old 21st December 2012
Gear interested

A:Name:  A.png
Views: 1925
Size:  33.1 KB
or B:Name:  B.png
Views: 2177
Size:  32.2 KB

I'm leaning more toward A, while B will look cool and spacious I know that A will have a more controlled sound even being smaller. . also A gives me a good size storage room to house mic locker, stands, cables, and a machine room inside.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear nut

I like both of your last designs. I don't know which CR or TR of the two designs might sound better (there might be calculators for that...) but all I can say is that a Storage/Machine Room keeps the Studio much more organized and clean, which I think is very very important. I just hate a corner full of unused microphone stands or Cases.
Also make sure to build your speakers into the Wall.

Cheers
Old 16th January 2013
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastedrecords View Post

Attachment 321961
I think this right here is you're best plan personally, you've sectioned off the live room a bit and you could have a more "dead" sounding section with a more "live" sound. Either way, you've got some good ideas going. I'm not sure why two iso booths are needed in a small studio especially with the soundlock.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear addict
Hey man. Get in touch with me. My name is JJ Crews and I own Boogie Tracks in Panama City. I built my place there almost 15 years ago. Since then I've had a pretty eventful run at building and wiring studios all over the country. In fact, I'm in the middle of a major overhaul myself. If you'd like to talk, I'd be happy to offer any help I can.
Feel free to email me and I'll give you my cell #.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

i would make "A" CR larger (encroach on the machine room) and use wider (almost a wrap-around) windows etc so the CR and live room feel more connected.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search