home studio nearing completion
New Reply
Subscribe
gouge
15th April 2011
Old 15th April 2011
Lives for gear

home studio nearing completion

things are getting exciting with my latest project. we are nearing completion, (excuse the mess).

we still have more wiring to complete but finally have the desk connected to the daw with 16 channels in and out via patch bays plus monitor wiring in place.

it was also a great opportunity to try out the new 11-16mm lens. this room is very small but the lens makes things look bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
home studio nearing completion-20110412_9055-edit.jpg   home studio nearing completion-20110412_9058.jpg   home studio nearing completion-20110412_9061-edit.jpg  
16th April 2011
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

looks cool. Where in Australia are you?
gouge
16th April 2011
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

hi anthony.

we're in brisbane. studio is under the house. takes advantage of the existing lounge/bar area downstairs plus the 2nd bathroom.

there are some other goodies in the lounge like pinball and space invaders.

there is also a small tracking room through the window and we can run mics into the lounge also for a bigger tracking space. i guess effectively the whole of downstairs was taken over in one way or another.
19th April 2011
Old 19th April 2011
Lives for gear

Nice looking room! Show us more!
gouge
20th April 2011
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

^^ cheers,

will do, we are spending a couple of the easter holiday days trying to finish the wiring, then we can tidy up and i'll grab some more photos and also get the tracking space.

we kept a photo record of the entire build BUT the bathroom upstairs had a burst pipe, which flooded out the studio, ended in an insurance claim, new console, plenty of hurt, a crashed pc hard drive that contained the photos and 6 months of delays. we got it all back to new now.

lucky all of our recording work had been backed up. because i don't have construction photos anymore i will upload my sketches showing the design process as well as finished build photos.
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Gear Head

Nice diffuser thumbsup
gouge
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

final wall in the tracking room is nearing completion. just needs a coat of black paint. the wall was built with all of the left over materials from the build plus a couple of left over kwila from some external stairs. only additional timber was about $200 of extra pine.

the kwila shelves will be left natural and are to house the guitar effects pedals.

not long to go, need to fix a few finishing details in the control room and tidy up and label the patching bays.

then we hit record onthe guitars, vocals and drums. lots o new gear to play with so that may take a while.
Attached Thumbnails
home studio nearing completion-img_0996.jpg   home studio nearing completion-img_0997.jpg   home studio nearing completion-img_1004.jpg  
4th September 2011
Old 4th September 2011
Gear maniac

realy cool design man
I love it soooooooo much
cheers
Mika
gouge
5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks mika,

part of me wants to leave it natural and not paint it black. the natural timber seams to tie the control room and tracking room together well.

also part of that wall allows us to place 25mm dowels from on side to the other and suspend acoustic foam just below the ceiling creating a movable cloud for recording drum overheads, vocals etc.

probably will put up some insulated space couplers on the ceiling as well. they'll sit above the movable clouds so we can tune the room depending on use. fingers crossed.
10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Gouge, love the wall with the left over wood and foam.. How functional is it? Does it really break up standing waves and reflections? How does it sound, night and day diffrence?

"Guitar Center....
Even the good news is in the moan zone."
gouge
12th September 2011
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

hi heyman,

i haven't had the chance to hear the difference yet. should do this weekend. my muso mate (who i am helping with design and construction) has said to me it has made a difference with his guitars in the room. he then followed it up with, "but that could just be placebo"

i'm keen to hear it as it's only a small room. i like to play loud also so we will see how it goes. the wall was completely unscientific...... no calculations or theory and a random pattern.

the idea was for it to be functional. the wall opposite has the window through to the control room plus we're trying to make the room sound bigger. i guess that's what i'll be listening for the most.
12th September 2011
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Gouge..

Please let us know what you find. I am curious ..

Cheers..
gouge
17th September 2011
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

hi heyman,

i heard the room today, we were finishing off the amp stands (everything takes twice as long as planned) and then played some guitar.

i walked around the room and stood beside the wall and didn't hear any areas that sounded odd or thin so i guess that's probably a good thing.

also clapped my hands hard beside the wall and didn't hear any ringing.

the difference i think is subtle though. both my mate and i definitely feel that the room seems to have a little more clarity now. whether that's the extra foam or the wall design or both i can't say.

i also thought that the room seems more even than it did before, but that's subjective. certainly walking around i din't notice any major changes in the sound.

i don't think the room sounded any bigger though. just clearer. so we're happy and would do it again definitley.

my mate has said the biggest thing for him is the mood the wall created in the space. also painting it black made the room feel a little larger. gotta love black in small rooms.

i've got some more photos i'll upload tomorrow showing the finished outcome.
17th September 2011
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yea, thanks...! That was what I was suspecting. I want to hear the instrument, not the room.. I have nothing against hearing the room, but in a situation like yours and mine, there really is no choice but to break up the the standing waves, flutter echo and reflections.. If you dont, you will be carving with eq to get it to sound right.

You can add the reverb or delay back in with effects when you want them.

Keep me up to date or post some stuff when you get a chance..

Cheers..!
17th September 2011
Old 17th September 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
final wall in the tracking room is nearing completion. just needs a coat of black paint. the wall was built with all of the left over materials from the build plus a couple of left over kwila from some external stairs. only additional timber was about $200 of extra pine.

the kwila shelves will be left natural and are to house the guitar effects pedals.

not long to go, need to fix a few finishing details in the control room and tidy up and label the patching bays.

then we hit record onthe guitars, vocals and drums. lots o new gear to play with so that may take a while.
Way to recycle...very smart idea
gouge
18th September 2011
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks mr wilson.
gouge
18th September 2011
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

a couple of more images, one from front on showing the finished wall and one of the room from the end where the door is as you enter and one likje the previous ones but with the paint on.

once the amp stands are painted the gear will be setup properly and we're good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
home studio nearing completion-img_1018.jpg   home studio nearing completion-img_1021.jpg   home studio nearing completion-img_1020.jpg   home studio nearing completion-img_1016.jpg  
19th September 2011
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice style....
gouge
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

thanks erik.

we're all enjoying the space.

it's not quite as i designed it. the resonator panel at the end of the photo was meant to go across to the right further and stop just short of the right side wall and house a concealed vertical strip light.

my mate also bought a stack of foam bass traps for the corners and didn't do the batten traps i had originally designed......

so i guess it lost a bit of the intent of the original design.

the owner is a big fan of pacman and space invaders, he has a couple of table arcade games in the lounge..... some to play when we need a break......he carried that into the studio rooms by cutting up acoustic foam....:-)
gouge
17th October 2011
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

having been putting the live room to use so for a bit of fun here is a file recorded over the weekend. think dead kennedys. none of these mics have been editted this is raw out of the daw.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Monochrome guitar sample.mp3 (926.4 KB, 84 views)
gouge
17th October 2011
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

a couple of more shots with gear setup
Attached Thumbnails
home studio nearing completion-20111001_5724.jpg   home studio nearing completion-20111001_5730.jpg  
26th October 2011
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
having been putting the live room to use so for a bit of fun here is a file recorded over the weekend. think dead kennedys. none of these mics have been editted this is raw out of the daw.
What effects did you use there?
gouge
27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

hi tom,

guitar chain is a gibson studio robot into a jcm900 combo, onboard spring reverb in use. the intro uses an EH cathedral in the chain and that's kicked off after the first few bars.

the recording chain used 3 mics.

1. royer 121 (12 inches away) into eisen 312v routed through modified soundcraft ghost with the hpf engaged.
2. beyer m201 (12 inches away) into sytek routed through ghost with the hpf engaged.
3. modified ntk (room mic) into sytek routed through ghost with the hpf engaged.

from memory the hpf on the ghost is around 100hz.

converters are lynx aurora 16 @192khz

i took the wave files home and rendered them on my home pc which is not setup for audio hence the clicks and pops.

there are no itb or otb effects at all other than the guitar,amp,eh pedal setup. everything is raw. the tracks we recorded were scratch tracks for a drummer and to also see what that setup would sound like.
28th October 2011
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks. Sounds good.

Do you record everything at 192k?
28th October 2011
Old 28th October 2011
Lives for gear

I forgot to add that I'm loving the studio build too. Great work

'This is the kind of pedantic nonsense up with which I will not put!' Winston Churchill
gouge
29th October 2011
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

cheers, appreciate the kind words.

yep we record everything at 192khz.

the project is almost finished. there are a few final bugs being worked out but we kind of got excited and started recording instead of finishing the control room.

lucky for me i got to design everything from the ground up and also put the lists together for all of the mics and outboard gear. it's not my studo. a couple of us did the entire build diy, so we've had a lot of fun...... we are currently working through shootouts to really dial in the gear.

it's taken a long time though, with only 1 day a week allocated to the build.

there is a running joke that if we had of practiced for the same amount of time it took to build the rooms, we could have all then flown to electrical audio and recorded the album with a real pro, be better musicians from the practice, and it would have cost a fraction of the final build cost.
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear maniac

sweat gear !!!!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search