Another "Home Studio"
New Reply
Subscribe
James Krumhansl
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Gear nut

Another "Home Studio"

After years of working around being at home and recording I finally found my own house to have a studio in. I'm leasing right now so I can't do anything drastic but I'm determined to get as much out of the space until I can own a home and I have the freedom to do whatever I need. Here is a photo for your viewing pleasure. I have a CAD sketch for more detail which i'll try to upload later. I'm hoping to continue to update the space and keep anyone interested updated.

Current Agenda:
More Absorbsion on the way
Making bass traps (most likely superchunk style in frames that i can put in the corners and still take with me eventually)
Figuring out a way to make a door to attenuate sound (I don't expect true isolation, I just want it a little more tolerable for anyone in the other areas of the house.
and of course, more gear
Attached Thumbnails
Another "Home Studio"-my-studio.jpg  
9th February 2011
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Cool. It looks like you are close to a wall on one side and open space on the other side. This is not ideal.. I guess you'll want to make bass traps and stuff. Framed rockwool ones are easy, and can stand up on the floor without being attached to anything.
James Krumhansl
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear nut

Yes, unfortunately the space isn't wide enough to comfortably allow people to pass by with a completely centered set up. I am working with the 38% rule to try to stay out of the low end peaks and nulls. I could have flipped the desk the other way but keeping what im recording in front of me and anyone not tracking that is in the session sitting behind me seems like a better idea as far as work flow and communication. I suppose i can always rearrange the treatment is supported by double stick tape i didn't want a very permanent means of treatment.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Why do all you guys try and make bass traps with framed rockwool? It really doesnt do anything to the low end! The rockwool would have to be 8 foot thick!

The only way to do it is with membrane absorbtion.
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
Why do all you guys try and make bass traps with framed rockwool? It really doesnt do anything to the low end! The rockwool would have to be 8 foot thick!

The only way to do it is with membrane absorbtion.
framed rockwool bass traps work well. Have you tried them and done measurements?
James Krumhansl
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Gear nut

Here is my CAD sketch-up, somewhat crude but i did it to scale for the most part. this just shows the one side of the basement. I'm trying to think of a semi-permanent means of sealing the door to attenuate the sound that travels out of the room now (as i said before I don't expect to get pure isolation by any means).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf My new studio-Model.pdf (60.1 KB, 176 views)
10th February 2011
Old 10th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Krumhansl View Post
Here is a photo for your viewing pleasure.

Cool place. I like the big screen.

I also love the little screen on the floor, is it for your pet? My dog likes watching tv, but the angle from the floor makes his neck hurt...
James Krumhansl
11th February 2011
Old 11th February 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea View Post
Cool place. I like the big screen.

I also love the little screen on the floor, is it for your pet? My dog likes watching tv, but the angle from the floor makes his neck hurt...
lol, funny you mention that, i just recently decided i like the screen on the floor, the 32" is so high alread, when i'm adjusting levels I can watch the meters in the DAW and adjust my hardware without craning my neck. If you look closely just below the 32" and above my mixer there is a 7" screen. This is for my CCTV camera that is in my vocal/iso booth, i scored the camera on sale for 25 bucks and the screen was part of a dual screen car dvd player that i never use because when would I be in the back seat of my car and want to watch a dvd? lol
15th February 2011
Old 15th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Krumhansl View Post
lol, funny you mention that, i just recently decided i like the screen on the floor, the 32" is so high alread, when i'm adjusting levels I can watch the meters in the DAW and adjust my hardware without craning my neck. If you look closely just below the 32" and above my mixer there is a 7" screen. This is for my CCTV camera that is in my vocal/iso booth, i scored the camera on sale for 25 bucks and the screen was part of a dual screen car dvd player that i never use because when would I be in the back seat of my car and want to watch a dvd? lol

Wow that's actually genius haha. How come I've never heard of anyone doing that before?

And dvds in the car? Easy! Just put a brick on the accelerator and use a stick from a tree to turn the wheel! Nothin' like taking an evening drive while enjoying a movie from the backseat
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search