The Parlor Recording Studio - New Orleans - Construction Journal
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Grondin View Post
Here is the problem. Why the **** is Northward FLAMING anyone??? Did you ask for his input? Does he just go around throwing his opinions out? Save your shit for your own clients. It's not even constructive in this instance because, as has been pointed out, the floor is poured.
To be fair I don't think Thomas flamed anyone. I don't remember how this started but I suspect Matt said his floor is floated and Thomas pointed out that, technically, it is not. While Matt might choose to do nothing with that information (entirely his perogative) and go on happily making awesome music for many years another person might decide on understanding that, for example, to float a floor on top of that slab. But that's Matt's choice. No-one else's. So perhaps we can all please calm down, move along and leave him to his build now. Thank you.
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Here is the problem. Why the **** is Northward FLAMING anyone??? Did you ask for his input? Does he just go around throwing his opinions out?
Matt,

I am not flaming anyone. It is not my intent and has never been. I hope you see that.

But what you said is this, talking about the Styrofoam layer / floors:

Quote:
It was never an amendment, it was always supposed to be there per the designer, just got omitted in the communication flow with the structural engineer. It's entirely for sound transmission precautions. The slab needs to be isolated from the walls and footings, as well as the ground below, since the littlest vibration could carry into a mic on a stand. We are only a block off Tchoupitoulas as well and there are large trucks driving by constantly.
Which, as far as I'm concerned, is nothing short of a lie.

-"It's entirely for sound transmission"
-"The littlest vibration could carry into a mic on a stand."
-"We are only a block off Tchoupitoulas as well and there are large trucks driving by constantly."

And then to deal with that, your contractor uses a technique that simply cannot work properly. This is not a floating floor by any means.

Now, fact is that you're not a structural or acoustics/vibrations engineer, and I am not questioning your sincerity in this. So someone down the line is lying to you.

I decided to try and maybe help you by at least telling you something is rather fishy right there. And down the line, it's not a good thing that other GS users that are thinking about building a studios are lead to believe that a layer of concrete on styrofoam is to be considered an acoustically floating floor.

If the floors were never meant to be acoustically floating, then this is all just fine.

If they are supposed to be floating (which I think they are) then if I were you I'd inquire now and assess how much vibrations are going through. If there are no problems, all good. If there are problems, then you might consider asking the person responsible for this to face his responsibilities, take action and correct this, because it is not too late. Plan a site meeting about this and deal with it head on. Get an answer and make sure the person who designed the floor gives you a guarantee on results. You're paying him for that.

But by all means, don't blame this on me. All I did is grab your attention to help you. I'm sorry you took it wrong.

I sincerely wish you the best and a lot of success.
Matt Grondin
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

I posted a long reply that never made it through for some reason. Basically, your "flaming" was hearsay. You may BE making valuable contributions but honestly, at this point, I just wanna make records. We are making records in our office that I would put up against any other studio in town and beat their quality (not a statement of arrogance but I do stand by my gear and our skills would take the challenge). Will the foam/slab thing make a difference to a brilliant record? Certainly not. Are we gonna TRY and do everything right if we are going to this extreme... Of course, but I'm not gonna let it keep me up at night. I trust my builder and so did McBride and I wouldn't want to record any other place than Blackbird. To each their own.

And thank you for your kind words and sincerity. In the end, the music is all that matters. The rest will work itself out.
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Matt, amazing studio. Really impressed.

Not trying to get involved, as im a just a noob in comparison to you guys. but I think Northward is just trying to help.

Quote:
. We are making records in our office that I would put up against any other studio in town and beat their quality (not a statement of arrogance but I do stand by my gear and our skills would take the challenge).
Then why drop a million dollars on a studio?

Not trying to take things out of context or argue with you, just trying to understand.

At any rate, looking forward to seeing how it comes out man...keep the pics coming.
Matt Grondin
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
Matt, amazing studio. Really impressed.

Not trying to get involved, as im a just a noob in comparison to you guys. but I think Northward is just trying to help.

Then why drop a million dollars on a studio?

Not trying to take things out of context or argue with you, just trying to understand.

At any rate, looking forward to seeing how it comes out man...keep the pics coming.
I'm saying that for perspective. Yes, I can spend a million dollars and still make a shitty record. Or I can make an amazing one in an office. The bigger better studio just makes it easier to accomplish.
3rd June 2013
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

Might have been mentioned already...

couldn't you just bang on the floor with a hammer or whatever and listen for vibrations in other rooms?
4th June 2013
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, why not just take matters into your own hands?
Matt Grondin
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

We have an article in this month's Mix Magazine, check it out!
Matt Grondin
1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

1st July 2013
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

Nice! great article
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

any new pics?
Matt Grondin
2nd July 2013
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
any new pics?
Not yet. We are mainly working on the infrastructure of the building itself like the roof rather than the studio itself. Soon though, pieces are falling into place and bids are starting to come in from subs.
Matt Grondin
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Ceiling joists are finally going in! Now it will really start looking like something!

photo by MattGrondin, on Flickr

photo 4 by MattGrondin, on Flickr

The pads are to help reduce sound transmission (if any experts here disagree, let's please keep it to yourself)

photo 1 by MattGrondin, on Flickr

Please excuse the shakiness, my contractor is still learning his Panorama feature!

photo 3 by MattGrondin, on Flickr

photo 2 by MattGrondin, on Flickr
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

Super exciting Matt!!

Matt Grondin
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Gear Head

Finally!
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Shark Sandwich

excellent!
19th July 2013
Old 19th July 2013
Lives for gear

love the hockey pucks

It looks awesome Matt.
Would love to visit in mid October.

Be well

- Jack
Matt Grondin
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Gear maniac

What are you using to seal the plywood seams?
Thx
Matt Grondin
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
What are you using to seal the plywood seams?
Thx
Just some cheap caulk. The iso cap will be a pretty serious layer cake when it's done, this just being the start of it.
20th July 2013
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Looks to be a grand Live Room indeed!
Matt Grondin
31st July 2013
Old 31st July 2013
Lives for gear

4th August 2013
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

as i have always said

Matt Grondin
6th August 2013
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear

Yet another (hopefully short) delay as the electrical engineer gets his shit together and puts things in the plan that were discussed in multiple meetings and supposed to be in there from day one.
6th August 2013
Old 6th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yet another (hopefully short) delay as the electrical engineer gets his shit together and puts things in the plan that were discussed in multiple meetings and supposed to be in there from day one.
I feel for ya on that one...been there done that! Keep up the good work!
7th August 2013
Old 7th August 2013
9th August 2013
Old 9th August 2013

Quote:
Ouch. I feel your pain.
Matt Grondin
9th August 2013
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

The latest endeavor from the folks behind The Parlor Recording Studio. Still have many ducks to get in a row before our first release, but expect some good stuff in the near future!
Attached Thumbnails
The Parlor Recording Studio - New Orleans - Construction Journal-imageuploadedbygearslutz1376069397.138483.jpg  
22nd August 2013
Old 22nd August 2013
Lives for gear

cool cool.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search