I can't get my computer to recognize my Mixer or my Microphone
thedup
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear interested

I can't get my computer to recognize my Mixer or my Microphone

So I just bought my first Condenser Mic, and my first mixer, planning to record things through various DAW. I've been so excited to use them but I've had them for a week and I haven't a god damn idea what I'm doing wrong at this point. I can't say that I'm particularly well versed in this subject, I had to get the mixer after the mic because I didn't know anything about phantom power, lesson learned there but I'm sure I have more to go.

I've been all over the internet trying to find answers, and I've tried so many things that haven't done anything. My mixer is the Pro Audio 615808 Mixer from Monoprice, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGALRrI5E0 here's a youtube video if it helps at all, shows the layout pretty well) which I thought could be hooked up by USB, only to find out that it was only for playback, and yaaaay, I can get that to work just fine. When it's plugged into usb, my computer sees the mixer, but of course I can't record with the mic
I went out and I bought Stereo Mini Jack to RCA Female, and Male to Male RCA Cables, and plugged that in to microphone and nothing happened so I looked around and found out that someone said I should plug it into the Line-in, (the light blue one), so I did that and it recognized the cables, but that's...it. It doesn't seem to care that the cables are plugged into my mixer in the slightest. I've tried everything with the cables to the mixer, I plugged the RCA Cables into 2KIn and 2KOut, then I plugged them into an adapter so I could plug them in the back, where it says L/Output and R/Output (white to left and red to white) This did nothing, and now the best I can find on the internet is to spend another $100 minimum to get something to convert it to Midi. Which I'd rather not do at this point

The other problem is that at no point have I been able to tell that my mixer recognized there was a microphone plugged in. It's the Studio Projects B1 Condenser mic, and yes I have the phantom power on. There isn't a whole lot to do with the microphone, so I've been pretty consistently confused. I'm not sure if the problems are related, and I'm desperately hoping they are, because as far as I can tell, there's been nothing to suggest the mic wasn't shipped to me broken.

I'm running out of ideas, it seems I must be missing something so basic nobody has bothered to mention it, because I can't find anything that I'm doing wrong. I've tried to use the mic through Fruity Loops, Audacity, KRISTAL, Wavepad, nothing has any idea that it's there. I'm getting so frustrated, because I honestly can't tell what I'm not doing. I'm running Windows 8, and I went through the Hardware and Sound, and when the usb is plugged in it registers a "microphone" but it can't be recorded with, and it shows the RCA cables, and they're active, unmuted, and also registered under Recording. But again, they don't say anything else.

So I have a $100 mixer that you can listen to music through, using headphones, and absolutely nothing else (yay) and a beautiful condenser microphone that looks really cool at my computer desk, but other than that does absolutely nothing. I really hope someone here can help because I'm baffled.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear Head

Have you tried those 1/4" L/R output to PC's line-in?

Hope this helps.
thedup
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear interested

ya, I did that, and I still have it plugged in there. Like I said, it registered the cables, when I plugged it in it even installed some drivers (I think, it was really fast) but that's all that I got out of it. I know that it's in the right slot, I just don't know why the mixer on the other side isn't getting anything
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Lives for gear

Can you hear the mic through headphones directly from the mixer? Check in Windows that the default input device is your soundcard and it is selected and not muted. Now try and select it as an input in your daw then record arm the track and audio should pass through
thedup
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear interested

that's the manual that came with the mixer and it's totally useless, or I wouldn't have had any questions, but thanks for looking it up lol.
I found something called Stereo Mix that was under recording, which I had ignored before, but I guess that might have been the sound card you mentioned, and you were right, it turned out that it was mute, and after that I tried messing around with my mic and found out if I turned it up loud enough the green lights actually did something when I sang into it. It didn't do anything else for a while, but I kept switching where the RCA cables were plugged in and finally I got them to work in the L/Output R/Output in the back, which needed the adapters. I don't know why it wouldn't work in the slots meant for RCA cables, but whatever, I had the adapters so it's not a big problem.
There's still a problem in that it only records when the usb is plugged in, which means it picks up everything in the headset, which is a problem I'm not sure what to do with
and Fruity Loops still doesn't recognize the microphone, but I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks for the help, it's not perfect yet but I can certainly live with that
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

You're talking about stereo mini jacks and RCA and such with the mic...how do you have the mic connected to the board?

Something like this is what you want to use to connect the main outputs of your mixer to you computers sound card (which presumably has a mini jack): GuitarCenter
thedup
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear interested

the mic is plugged in with xlr cable, in mic jack 1.
and ya, I have something like that plugged into the line-in
But I'm really not liking how big a problem not being able to record without having the sound from the headest bleed in is. That is after all why I got these headphones. Anyone have any ideas about that?
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

What do you mean "it only records when the USB is plugged in"? What USB plugged into where?
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

thedup, please post exactly how you have everything hooked up (preferably in a list, so we can read it easily)
thedup
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear interested

alright,
RCA cables plugged into a y adapter to plug into the Line-in at the back of the computer
other end of RCA plugged into 1'4 jack adapters and the into the L/Output R/Output in the back of the Mixer.
USB A-Male to B-Male plugged into the side of the mixer, and into the usb slot in my computer
Microphone plugged into back of mixer with XLR Cable
Headphones plugged into back of mixer with 1'4 jack
and of course mixer plugged into wall socket lol

I don't know why it needs to be so loud for me to be able to get any decent sound out of it, I sound great when I'm singing at almost full volume with full gain, but there's static over it, and then I drop the levels down to where there's no static and I can barely hear myself, and there's an annoying high pitched buzz
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

1) Don't use all those adapters to get the mixer output to your computer. Use a cable just like what I posted. There's zero need for RCA in connecting to the computer. 2x mono 1/4" cables to 1x stereo mini jack is what is needed.
2) Does the mixer send audio to the computer via USB or no? The manual says it does, the product page says it doesn't. Which is it? That may explain any issues you are having. If you're using the analog outputs to get audio into your computer, and don't need the USB connection to feed anything into the mixer, unplug the USB.
3) Any buzzing could be a ground issue. Try plugging into a different outlet.
4) Make sure phantom power is on. Is the level in the headphones also weak, or just in the computer?
5) Explain "bleed from headset" more thoroughly. Is the mic picking up bleed from the headset while you wear it? Are you saying that the headphone output is ending up on the recording (and isn't being picked up by the mic, rather is being mixed into the mic signal in the mixer)? If it's bleeding through the headphones then position the mic a little further away, or turn down the headphones. A little bleed isn't a big deal.
17th January 2014
Old 17th January 2014
Gear addict

Also, make sure the gain and mixer levels are set properly. It doesn't look like it has any LEDs for clipping (for individual channels, that is), so set all the level knobs at 0 (unity, not all the way down...they should likely just be at 12:00 position for this), then adjust the gain knob while singing into the mic. Let it just start to clip then back down a bit so it doesn't any more. How loud is it now? Is it still too weak if you turn up the level knob on the individual track, and the master level?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search