What should i mix first? second? third? etc...
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

What should i mix first? second? third? etc...

Here's my mixtape song session
http://oi44.tinypic.com/2r5gc45.jpg

I tracked out the beat btw
Im going to try my ultimate best to get the sound I want. I heard tracking out the beat is a lot better than a 2-Track so I wanted to experiment with this for the first time. I have a good clean recording using AT2035. What norm process should I take when mixing this? Should I mix the drums first, then vocals, then melody? vice versa? etc. Thank you
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Do whatever sounds good usually people start by the rythmic part but there's no rule.

What I do is
first get a great balance with fader and pan.
Second clean every track with EQ. Third mix it.

That suppose that you ve already edited everything .

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

Okay the beat I made in Studio One, I exported it out with the instruments at the levels i mixed it, then i imported those instruments into another session (the session you see in the picture). Is that okay or should i go back and re-export the instruments out again and set each instrument at 0db??
Old 14th October 2013
Gear addict

Some people (like myself) start out with the rhythmic section, then bass, gtr., keys, vox etc. Others decide the "quote" - the main part/hook of the song and mix according to that. It could be the chorus as well. It's also common practice to start out with the element you think is the most important (which in many cases is the vocals), and then mix around them.
Start out with the vision of what you want to hear, and also some good references, then mix away.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear addict

I you are doing your own thing, then take time, and regard it as a learning experience. Do two mixes. One where you start with the beat, and then build anything around it. This is the ground up methode. Then go to bed. Rest your ears. Dont listen to your first mix. Do a top down mix, starting with the vocals and hooklines. Build everything around that. Get drunk (this part is optional) and rest your ears again. The next day listen to both mixes and hear the differences.
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

I start with the mix. Push up all the faders and see how all the tracks are working together and start problem solving from there.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear addict

I always start working on a mix at the beat first. If the groove isn't right it doesn't matter how many instruments your arrangement has, IMO. Then I focus on the melody and everything around it. If there are vocals, I try to make sure they are as loud or louder than the kick and snare, as these three things together are the most important part of a mix.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search