JBL JRX225 + Pyle Pro Pexa 3000 - OK or disaster?
Old 13th October 2013
Gear interested

JBL JRX225 + Pyle Pro Pexa 3000 - OK or disaster?

Hi all,

I'm new to pro audio and was hoping to get some help/advice here on a system I'm assembling.

I want to know if I'm going to risk damage to my speakers with my current setup. I just picked up a pair of JBL JRX 225 speakers. They're rated 500-1000 Watts continuous at 4 Ohms. I sort of put the cart before the horse and impulsively acted on a Woot deal for 2 Pyle Pro Pexa 3000 amps. They're rated as follows:

Stereo Mode
- 250W X 2 @ 4 Ohms
- 150W X 2 @ 8 Ohms

Bridge Mono Mode
- 500W @ 8 Ohms

I'm currently running 1/8" headphone jack split to 2xXLR with one channel into each amp's input channel A. I'm then running a speaker per amp from the bridge output. Basically, I believe I'm getting 500W @ 8 Ohms into each speaker. Does this sound correct, and is this OK or a recipe for disaster?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

The amp is rated at 8 ohm minimum in bridge mode. That means running a load of 4 ohms will eventually toast the amps.
Old 13th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
The amp is rated at 8 ohm minimum in bridge mode. That means running a load of 4 ohms will eventually toast the amps.
Aw, I was afraid of that. Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers.
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Why would you torture yourself with PYLE of all brands? They are absolute garbage!

If you're that strapped for cash, you could've gotten a QSC GX3 for $300 USD!
Old 13th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by azndnbdub View Post
Why would you torture yourself with PYLE of all brands? They are absolute garbage!

If you're that strapped for cash, you could've gotten a QSC GX3 for $300 USD!
Tom,

You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, I now realize this after the fact. I usually put a LOT of time and effort into my purchases, but the allure of the deal won out this time. I should have waited!

I'll have to dump them on Craigslist or Ebay and try to recoup funds for something better like the QSC. There are some Crown amps out there that are cheaper per watt. Any experiences with them, good or bad?
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

Didn't want to say it but yes.....
Pyle=pile of poo

GX series amps are not bridgeable.
The GX7 @ 1000w ch @4ohms is where you want to be to match spkr rating.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you are running two four ohm speakers in parallel off a bridged amp, you are asking for total failure. You need to connect your speakers in SERIES to make an eight ohm load.

And yes..buy a decent amp such as the QSC GX3.

Also, the headphone output is normally a driven output and not line level. That means you can be over driving the input to your amp. You should use a line level output if at all possible.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I opted to go for the GX7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
If you are running two four ohm speakers in parallel off a bridged amp, you are asking for total failure. You need to connect your speakers in SERIES to make an eight ohm load.

And yes..buy a decent amp such as the QSC GX3.

Also, the headphone output is normally a driven output and not line level. That means you can be over driving the input to your amp. You should use a line level output if at all possible.
Mark, that's a really interesting point about the headphone jack I hadn't considered. I had been told by multiple folks at Guitar Center "yeah, just plug it right on in, you'll be good to go. It's what most people do" and just took it in good faith.

Is there a device I can buy that can properly adapt a non-line level input to a line level output? I had decided I don't need a mixer for such a simple setup, but is this possibly one of their functions?

I feel so funky being a n00b I've been a computer programmer for 10+ years and I'm used to just writing a quick test when I want to verify something, but easier said than done in this case because buying equipment isn't cheap!
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

May I ask what are you feeding to the amp that has only a headphone output?
Old 15th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
May I ask what are you feeding to the amp that has only a headphone output?
4 possible devices
- MacBook Pro
- Dell Windows 7 PC
- Android phone
- Old MS Zune
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

For the laptops, have them run through a Peavey USB-p. Yes, a peavey di.

The little things that peavey does right is in this DI, just plug in via USB to Mac/PC and balanced XLR to amp. No drivers to install!

I guess if you're running multiple sources, it's handy to have a small mixer like an A&H ZED10 to adjust levels easier, along with buying 1/8" to stereo 1/4" cables for your zune and phone.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
For the laptops, have them run through a Peavey USB-p. Yes, a peavey di.

The little things that peavey does right is in this DI, just plug in via USB to Mac/PC and balanced XLR to amp. No drivers to install!

I guess if you're running multiple sources, it's handy to have a small mixer like an A&H ZED10 to adjust levels easier, along with buying 1/8" to stereo 1/4" cables for your zune and phone.
Absolutely fantastic. Thanks so much!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search