Recording with an analog mixer
Chrimen
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Gear interested

Recording with an analog mixer

Hi everyone!
Recently I bought a Soundcraft 800b for a good price, and I could need some advice on how to set it up and route it properly.
At the moment, Im not in possesion of the gear needed for a good studio setup. I just try to figure out the setup in theory.

Is this a well functioning signal path for recording?:
Source -> Mixer (included ext.preamps and eq etc.) -> Audio Interface -> Daw
Should there be a AD/DA converter included somewhere? Or does audio interfaces usually do this job?

Another question I have concerning this is: will there be any trouble (noise) because of the unbalanced i/o of the Soundcraft?

Thank you so much for helping me with this!
Please let me know if there are any similar post in here I didn`t notice
(this is my first time in here)
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

This mixer? number of channels
http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/..._guides&id=493

If so EVERYTHING on it is balanced
XLR mic, line inputs
XLR direct outs, inserts, sends, returns
XLR main and aux outputs.

you need something like a Motu 24io to allow 24 direct outs and 24 line outs coming back to the board.

If you have 48ch. 1-24 for tracking.
25-48 coming back in to mix 24 trks.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

You set up is correct. It will all depend on how many people or instruments you will record in one take on how you patch it to a DAW.

If it's only you and one thing at a time then any 2 x 2 interface will work.
For recording things like live drums you'll want a 6 or more inputs on the audio interface.

Yes the interface is your A/D.

I like having a mixer even though I'm all alone as I can keep all my different instruments plugged in and ready to go. I also like using the mixer for my headphones as I have better control over the input/ PB levels, you can also do things like add a little outboard processing.
Chrimen
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
This mixer? number of channels
http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/..._guides&id=493

If so EVERYTHING on it is balanced
XLR mic, line inputs
XLR direct outs, inserts, sends, returns
XLR main and aux outputs.

you need something like a Motu 24io to allow 24 direct outs and 24 line outs coming back to the board.

If you have 48ch. 1-24 for tracking.
25-48 coming back in to mix 24 trks.
The B800 is a newer model from the one I got. My console is a 800B from about 1984 (32ch).
This one: Soundcraft - [Products]
So from what I understand, it has unbalanced ins and out. Right?
The fact is that I have`nt had enough time to test run it yet. But say I get a Motu 24i/o, should I get unbalanced TS 1/4-cables then? Hypothetically speaking, how much disturbing noise will this produce?
Please let me know if there is something essential I have`nt understood here

Thank you both for great response
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrimen View Post
The B800 is a newer model from the one I got. My console is a 800B from about 1984 (32ch).
This one: Soundcraft - [Products]
So from what I understand, it has unbalanced ins and out. Right?
The fact is that I have`nt had enough time to test run it yet. But say I get a Motu 24i/o, should I get unbalanced TS 1/4-cables then? Hypothetically speaking, how much disturbing noise will this produce?
Please let me know if there is something essential I have`nt understood here

Thank you both for great response
The direct outs on the Soundcraft are not ballanced, but you should still use balanced cables as the MOTU is balanced.
You will have to make custom TRS-TRS cables with sleve connected only at the inputs of the MOTU (you can also get some already made cables and cut the sleve connection at the side that goes into the direct outs).

Unbalanced inputs on the 800b are a more serious problem.
Probably the best way is to connect them like in the example 5 on this picture: http://www.rane.com/n110fig4a.gif
14th October 2013
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

You can assign track 1-8 to subs 1-8 and use the 8 balanced sub outs.
Then send 9-16 to auxes 1-8 that have balanced outs and get 16 tracks at once into something like the Motu 24 IO. Then have to make special cables to go balanced to unbalanced line ins to tracks 17-32.

Problem you need to check is according to manual the mixer xlr's are wired pin 1 ground, pin 2 cold (out of phase) pin 3 hot in phase.

Then it also says that later produced units of that model switched to European standard pin 2 hot pin 3 cold which is what most gear uses now.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search