New Reply
Subscribe
Shipwreckedloser
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear interested

Having Serious issues with noise

Hey guys, Quick question:

I'm having some serious issues with tracking my guitar. It's for a rock project...so yes it's distorted. But here is my issue: I am getting a good tone out of my amp, nice and crisp, no crappy noise or anything. I'm also running it on low gain because I know that can mud up a mix. But once I track a take, during playback it sounds muddy, and very low-fi, almost resembling a blown speaker with lots of flop on the bassy tones.
I have tried everything for lowering the gain, backing the mic off of the grill, on axis/off axis... EVERYTHING.

Here is what I'm using:

Peavey Valveking 100w head, JJ tubes
Marshall JCM900 lead cab
Shure SM57
Tascam us-1800 interface
Presonus eris8 studio monitors

PLEASEEEE HELP
19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Gear addict

I know this is an older thread....and this is difficult without being there....the first thing I would check is your level going in....are you peaking the signal...then and sorry for the dumb question...is your mic and all other equipment working properly on other sources? Then I would check mic position....

You should be hearing on playback, what you hear from the source...

It could even be a cable...

I am guessing you are not processing the channel in any way...EQ...etc?

It could also be the room, but I doubt it...

I would guess it is your gain staging somewhere on the way in...meaning you could be overdriving the signal somewhere...

As an experiment you could move the mic to the other side of the room and see what that sounds like....

I see you have already tried quite a few things, then it has to be the gear somehow....can you make a test recording with vocals?

PMT AUDIO
Official Microtech Gefell Repair Center
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search