Login / Register

microphone cables for active monitors, which type and how thick?
New Reply
Subscribe
S.t.a.t.i.c
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear interested

microphone cables for active monitors, which type and how thick?

I'm buying Neutrik XLR connectors and Klotz microphone cable, to assembly a active monitor cable. Now I have couple of variants of cables to choose from and I am not sure which one should I choose.

Klotz My206SW
Klotz My206RT
Klotz MC2000
Klotz MC5000

Any ideas?
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Lives for gear

On cables in general (I am unfamiliar with Klotz cables):

A lot of people may disagree with me, but I say buy whatever cable is within your budget, whatever amount you feel comfortable with. I don't buy into premium cable hype. Maybe I would buy braided cable for this project, but only if it was marginally higher than non-braided. And even then it would be simply a durability question, not a sonic one.

Think about it this way: if you can repair your own cables, and since you are making this cable yourself, you can... why pay a lot for one over another? This is ONLY my opinion, and you will probably get many of those on this subject here.

9/1/2013, 8:50PM: A day and time that will live in avatar infamy...
S.t.a.t.i.c
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear interested

They are all in my budget. I'm wondering if there is a real world audible/build quality wise difference between, for example, an 0.22mm and 0.50mm cable. Also there are couple of other designs too (mentioned above) available in my shop. They are all microphone cables but they all cost differently and are of different design. So I'm asking which design and which size/thickness would be most suited for the task at hand.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear nut

Location: Same town as Lindsay Lohan, Amy Fisher, Joey Buttafucco and Debbie Gibson

5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t.a.t.i.c View Post
I'm buying Neutrik XLR connectors and Klotz microphone cable, to assembly a active monitor cable. Now I have couple of variants of cables to choose from and I am not sure which one should I choose.

Klotz My206SW
Klotz My206RT
Klotz MC2000
Klotz MC5000

Any ideas?
For active monitor use at any reasonable length there will be no difference.
The differences in these cables are different gauge wire and heaver outer sheaths. Those factors can make a difference in their primary intended use as low level mic cables in terms of signal loss when using very long mic lines (100's of meters), and of course, in resistance to [physical] damage when used in hostile environments.

When used for typical active speaker cables at line levels and typical short lengths (50 meters or less), there will be no audible difference, and unless you will expect to have people walking over the cables, the thicker outer sheath of the MC2000 will be of no additional value. Any of the Klotz cables listed, and many other balanced cables, will work fine and equally well. All will have the same degree of signal transfer and rejection of induced noise. Although the shunt capacitance is slightly different, at any reasonable length for active monitor use, the differences will not be audible.

Since active speaker cables are usually not often connected and disconnected, the Neutrik connectors with gold-plated pins are usually preferred. For mic or patch cable use, when connections are being re-done often, the silver plated pins (thicker plating, longer mechanical wear/life) are usually a better choice.

For passive monitors the cables will be carrying much, much more current, so heavy gauge conductors are an advantage for reduced signal loss and improved damping factor. Don't use mic cable on passive monitors.
S.t.a.t.i.c
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear interested

Type of answer I was looking for. Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search