Bitrate conversion question
New Reply
Subscribe
Guitarjon
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
Gear Head

Bitrate conversion question

Last week we recorded drums for my band in a good studio.
I asked the engineer to record in 48khz 24bit because I use an Axe FX II as soundcard myself and I will be tracking all the guitars with the Axe FX via usb in 48khz.
I will also be mixing the album.
The engineer decided to record everything in 88.2khz and 32bit.
I really want to track and mix in 48khz 24bit so the only option is to convert the high bitrate files to 48khz and 24bit.
I myself have never heard a difference between the 2.
The engineer also says it's an uneven conversion....
But is the difference really that big?
I'm expecting the 48khz files to sound quite awesome.
Anyway opinions are welcome....
Thanks
eb7
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
eb7
Gear addict

For most applications, 24/48 will be fine. I don't know what DAW you're using, but mine (Sonar) will automatically convert files to the project's bit depth and sample rate when one imports them. Otherwise, you'll have to convert them manually. There are some differences of opinion on what sample rate converter sounds best (or if any sound better than any others); a simple search should uncover those threads if you're interested.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

I agree with eb7, 24 bit is a standard for audio work so no need to worry, there are different opinions about whether you should dither or not when going 32 to 24 but suffice to say the majority don't as the 24 bit dynamic range still exceeds your playback system and hearing ability.
The uneven conversion thing is totally unfounded, the difference in quality mainly lying in the filtering, someone please correct me if I'm wrong
There are plenty of threads about SRC, here's a site where you can check their performances (iZotope advanced one is a good reference).
infinitewave.ca
Hope it helps.
A.
eb7
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
eb7
Gear addict

I probably wouldn't bother going from 32-bit to 24, as files of different bit depths work just fine within the same project. Whether you dither or not (and there are quite a few threads on that topic) it's just not necessary to put your audio through an additional process. Converting from 32/88.2 to 32/48 and then recording any additional tracks at 24/48 is probably the best way to go.
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post
I probably wouldn't bother going from 32-bit to 24, as files of different bit depths work just fine within the same project. Whether you dither or not (and there are quite a few threads on that topic) it's just not necessary to put your audio through an additional process. Converting from 32/88.2 to 32/48 and then recording any additional tracks at 24/48 is probably the best way to go.
Depends on the DAW
A.
Guitarjon
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear Head

5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
Gear maniac

Stay with 32f in Cubase.

32-bit float as a storage medium really isn't much (any) better than normalized audio in 24-bit integer. It may seem like it would be, but the truth is 8 of the 32 bits are used for scale, so there's only 24 bits of precision in a 32-bit float system.

At this point in history, sample rate conversion is a pretty benign process, so just convert those files using Cubase to your destination project working sample rate at import.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search