New Reply
Subscribe
GazzaClazza
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

Whats the best interface? ?

Hey,

So im looking to buy a 2 channel interface for recording vocals among various other instruments and was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the best interface to buy which is under $1500? I use a macbook pro which is the latest and only takes usb or thunderbolt..

I will be investing in a good pre amp, possibly a chandler or a neve.
I will also be investing in a good ad/da converter so the interface wont need to be good in these areas..

Cheers!

:what::beer:
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

RME Fire Face 400 (thunderbolt is adaptable to FireWire)
With the few hundred under budget you can get an external drive too for your audio projects.

You'll have a couple decent preamps plus some extra dedicated line level inputs for external preamps or hardware processors.

It's also expandable.
LA610 Solo, Logic Pro 9.1.6 DAW
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
RME Fire Face 400 (thunderbolt is adaptable to FireWire)
With the few hundred under budget you can get an external drive too for your audio projects.

You'll have a couple decent preamps plus some extra dedicated line level inputs for external preamps or hardware processors.

It's also expandable.
Good Shout. +1
GazzaClazza
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks! Ill be sure to check it out. If im not worried about pre amps or converters would there be a better recommendation at the same price?
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Good=Motu Traveler
Better=RME FF400
Best=Apogee Ensemble

Apogee units are no longer in production but you can get refurbed or used.

If you're going to get a dedicated high end AD/DA converter and outboard pre amps later.....I wouldn't piss away $1500 and then start over.

I'd just get something like a Motu Ultralite and still have some flexibility/expandibilty to get you going
And only spend $5-6 bills and get some good mic's first. Using good mic's vs. budget mic's will make more of a difference than the negligible difference between the preamps/converters in these 3 units.

You'll spend a lot more than you realize on cables, stands, pop screens, headphone amp, monitors, room treatment, etc....
It's best to have an external drive for a backup boot drive and I use 2 ext drives for audio projects (one is a backup for the other). drives and interface all run off 1 FW 800 port.
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear maniac

I'd say an rme babyface is exactly what you want. It's cheaper than the ff400, has solid drivers and decent conversion, it's mobile. Also it can be extended with a 8 channel converter later on if you ever need that.
GazzaClazza
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear interested

Ah ok... I suppose that leads me to another question...

...would the quality of my interface even matter that much if I have dedicated ad/da converters, a really good pre amp, a really good mic etc.?? I have a budget of around 7000 for the above mentioned things now all I need is an interface to get it all happening

yea niccuh
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaClazza View Post
Ah ok... I suppose that leads me to another question...

...would the quality of my interface even matter that much if I have dedicated ad/da converters, a really good pre amp, a really good mic etc.?? I have a budget of around 7000 for the above mentioned things now all I need is an interface to get it all happening

yea niccuh
In theory, if you're sending a digital signal from your converters to the interface, then yeah, "any old interface" would work. In practice though, things like driver stability, the mixing software that runs on your computer, and clocking accuracy/stability come into play, along with overall robustness and reliability. So it probably doesn't make sense to run a $7000 signal chain into a $99 interface.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Metric Halo ULN-2 as an option - you should definitely check it out. The pres and converters are outstanding, as is the build quality, and it also offers a good built-in monitor controller, strong headphone amp, and lots of analog and digital I/O, along with excellent software and effects. The Babyface, like the Apogee Duet, is a very nice piece of gear, but the Metric Halo line is a cut above (and priced accordingly). You might find that it reduces your need for multiple boxes, or that its internal pres fill your clean/transparent needs and allow you to get external pres with lots of character. Good luck!
GazzaClazza
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks!! All of your feedback has been much appreciated peeps!!
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the Metric Halo ULN-2 as an option
They actually have a summer sale going on, which puts the ULN-2 Extended into the OP's budget @ $1395...
29th August 2013
Old 29th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaClazza View Post
Hey,

So im looking to buy a 2 channel interface for recording vocals among various other instruments and was just wondering what peoples thoughts were on the best interface to buy which is under $1500? I use a macbook pro which is the latest and only takes usb or thunderbolt..

I will be investing in a good pre amp, possibly a chandler or a neve.
I will also be investing in a good ad/da converter so the interface wont need to be good in these areas..

Cheers!

:what::beer:
Some may disagree, but it sounds like your prepared to bring a grenade to gun fight! If your willing to spend $1500 on a 2 channel interface and then also get a quality A/D and a Neve preamp your over doing it. With as much money as your thinking of spending, depending on what gear you already had, I would get something quality that served multiple functions. Ive never played anything for a client and had them comment on the sound of my A to D converter. (clearly not a mastering engineer here!) If you are wanting to spend that much on an interface then I would go with an apogee or the UAD and the NEVE preamp. I wouldn't spend that much on an interface and then turn around and by separate A to D. No one will ever hear the difference save some super sonic mastering engineer. Part of the reason you buy an Apogee is for the quality of the A/D , D/A. With the type of money you are talking about here I would spend a little more on an interface and forgo the A to D converter and buy some more gear.
GazzaClazza
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear interested

Yeah thats what I was thinking... what do you think of Prism Sounds' Orpheus?? Its a $4000 interface which I would like to think would it have very good ad/da conversion, after all we are talking about prism!
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Lives for gear

The Prism is a great box - more than the two channels you'd originally talked about, of course, and so less need for external stuff.

In that range there's also the Metric Halo ULN-8 (8 preamps) and LIO-8 (configurable with 0, 4, or 8 pres). The electronics in these represent incremental improvements from the ULN-2 as they were developed later.
30th August 2013
Old 30th August 2013
Gear addict

When you ask for the best that will cost you. Metric Halo or Prism Lyra/Aupa..
2nd September 2013
Old 2nd September 2013
Gear maniac

Look at my avatar.

MH is great but mac only.

They now have sales.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search