Kicks and Bass Tuning
Old 28th August 2013
Gear nut

Kicks and Bass Tuning

If I'm working on a EDM, I usually begin with the kicks. My kicks usually stay in the key of F-A#. The problem is when I make the bass, I do not know if the bass should sit in the same octave as the kicks. I know I must tune the kicks to fit the bass. I have no problem tuning it.

Be aware that there are at least 2 kicks. One low and one high.

Does the bass stay in the same octave as the kicks or how many octaves should the bass be in?

Say if I have a sub bass, low bass, and a high bass. Where should I place them in the octaves relative to my kicks?

I normally place all my bass in the same octave/key as my kicks. For the high bass I just eq it in the upper frequencies. But they never turn out right.

Another point is the snare. I've been spotting how the kick and snare sound together. The kick is usually hit low. The snare hit higher. How high should the snare be in?

Sometimes I like to map out my drums in the piano roll. For example, C for kick, C# for snare, and so on. But in EDM, I don't stay in C. C is too low for this type of music imo. Can I apply the same mapping in other scale..or is this a random variation that I just have to tune until they are lock in key?
Old 29th August 2013
Gear nut

Bump.

Is there anybody tune their kicks to their bass?

If you don't tune it your production will not sound good.

I believe the groove, vibe, felt, all comes from tuning. If the production doesn't have the 'feel' it's either not tuning it right. My 2 cents.

Feel free to add to it.
Old 30th August 2013
Gear maniac

Its normal to tune kicks but I wouldnt go crazy.

I dont tune them to the bass because thats not necessary. You would have atleast 4 different kicks to go with each bass note.

I just try and get it into the ball park and make sure the vibe and thump of the kick fits the record. Sometimes a slightly out of tune kick actually hits harder.

But to be honest if Im the one creating the record than I try and pick the best sample and dont focusing on tuning that much.

Cheers

Sent from my SGH-T989D
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search