Login / Register

Logic Pro Bus is broken? Software problem?
New Reply
Subscribe
mashrooman
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear interested

Logic Pro Bus is broken? Software problem?

Hey guys, recently I've noticed that any plug-in effect placed on an Aux track will also affect the Source track.

For example, I have some Keys playing on TRACK 1. I want to provide some parallel reverb by creating a bus going to AUX 1 and placing the reverb plug-in there. The goal is to give me a dry/wet control on the reverb effect.

I place the reverb plug-in on AUX 1 and crank up the bus volume and all is well. But then I solo TRACK 1 and I hear the reverb on the track?
What have I done?
I don't remember this happening before.

Anyway I went out and bought Logic Pro X anyway.
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013

It sounds as though it is working how it is meant to.

When you solo a track, you are doing just that, soloing a track. You are not soloing a bus.

When you solo a track the busses have to remain, otherwise you would not be able to hear your track, as the busses are where the track outputs to. With no outputs you won't hear anything. For example, if the busses muted, you would also mute the master bus, or whatever output bus you are using, and you wouldn't be able to hear your soloed track at all.

Of course in this example you want the master bus to remain, and the reverb bus to mute, but you can't blame logic for not being able to read your mind. For example, if you had used the bus send as a parallel compression then that would be an integral part of the sound, and you wouldn't want it muted when you solo the track.

There are a number of ways to stop the reverb, eg. mute the the reverb's bus, or mute the bus send on the track.

matt
mashrooman
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
It sounds as though it is working how it is meant to.

When you solo a track, you are doing just that, soloing a track. You are not soloing a bus.

When you solo a track the busses have to remain, otherwise you would not be able to hear your track, as the busses are where the track outputs to. With no outputs you won't hear anything. For example, if the busses muted, you would also mute the master bus, or whatever output bus you are using, and you wouldn't be able to hear your soloed track at all.

Of course in this example you want the master bus to remain, and the reverb bus to mute, but you can't blame logic for not being able to read your mind. For example, if you had used the bus send as a parallel compression then that would be an integral part of the sound, and you wouldn't want it muted when you solo the track.

There are a number of ways to stop the reverb, eg. mute the the reverb's bus, or mute the bus send on the track.

matt
Hi Matt thanks for the reply.

If what you are saying is true, than I have been living with a lie for quite some time.

Just to confirm, heres a picture:

So TRACK 1 which is an Midi Instrument track, is soloed.
And I can hear that it is compressed.

I always thought that TRACK 1 would sound untampered
24th August 2013
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

You've been living a lie then.

Don't worry, I lie to myself all the time. Big whoppers.

Mac Mini 2 GHz i7, Logic 9 + Lion
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Gear nut

The behaviour of Mute and Solo with respect to sends and busses, in most DAW programs, isn't what you might expect. If you bear in mind that the master output is just a bus itself, and treated exactly the same when you hit Mute or Solo, then it might begin to make more sense. Simply put, soloing a channel will leave busses that receive a send from the channel -- and any buses that receive from those busses, etc. -- unmuted (so you can hear the effect in the case of an effect bus, or the channel itself in the case of the master bus.) To hear the dry channel alone, you must also mute the effect bus.

Just one of those things you have to get used to. It's not broken, it's designed that way.
25th August 2013
Old 25th August 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

pre fader bussing may be beneficial as well. this will allow just the send level to affect signal to the respected buss. otherwise it will be effected by the send and fader movements.

Quasar

fire

Club

Matrix1.4

Blue London
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search