Album Help Needed - HOWTO: alternatives to silence between tracks
New Reply
Subscribe
RominRonin
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

Album Help Needed - HOWTO: alternatives to silence between tracks

I'm mastering an album that I produced for a friend. I'm about half way through mastering the individual tracks and have begun thinking about the final running order and the pre/post song silence.

I think there's room for some transitioning ambience, soundscapes - even musical compositions - to go between at least some of the songs, and if it will improve the album as a whole, then I want to pursue this avenue.

The trouble is, once I've decided the final running order, I wouldn't know where to begin:
  • creating or designing such musical interludes
  • how or where to apply them in the project file
  • how to tie them together when bouncing the tracks

The first point is academic - I lack the experience of using oscillators and synthesisers in Logic Pro, and have only used MIDI extensively for this project. I know I need to learn, but where do I begin translating the sounds in my head (or in some cases, finding inspiration for such sounds) into professional sounding results?

The latter two points are also down to lack of experience, but easier to solve - I'm sure some generous forum members can share there step by step guides or bullet point lists that should be enough. I guess the best outcome would be to avoid wasting time if I can.

I'm also aware of the CD formats default sound gap, but I don't know how to compensate when bouncing the tracks to be distributed (they'll primarily be distributed online, do I still need to care?).

Any discussions, ideas, tips, tricks tutorials etc. that could kick start the learning process will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

It his is really something for the original artist to create
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah, talk with your friend about it before you go doing anything. It may seem perfect to you, but cheesebagging ridiculous to him.

AFA space between tracks, usually the vibe at the end of the song will dictate this, IME.

9/1/2013, 8:50PM: A day and time that will live in avatar infamy...
RominRonin
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

OK, just to clarify:
  • I have creative equal freedom/creative control over the production of the tracks and the album
  • the friend is also involved in the process
  • the friend knows less than me when it comes to Logic, so I still need to learn new skills.

Any ideas = appreciated.

Thanks again
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013

Quote:
I'm also aware of the CD formats default sound gap, but I don't know how to compensate when bouncing the tracks to be distributed (they'll primarily be distributed online, do I still need to care?).
You make the gap zero, and the new sounds part of the preceding and following tracks

Matt
23rd August 2013
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

You said you've been working with MIDI for this project - what do you mean by that? (Using a hardware sequencer or what??) What's to keep you from using whatever workflow you've been using for the songs, to create these transitional pieces?

Also, how many people are likely to even sit down and listen to the whole album in sequence? The whole thing might not be worth the effort. Is there even going to be a physical CD?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search