Login / Register

Audio engineering schools in Los Angeles?
New Reply
Subscribe
certifiedhumane
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear nut

Audio engineering schools in Los Angeles?

Hi I would like to study audio engineering and am curious if you guys recommend any schools in Los Angeles?
As far as SAE, they offer both audio technology and electronic music production, I am not sure which one would teach audio engineering!

Also, I have read many threads on this topic and I am fully aware there are no jobs in this field right now. I want to learn solely for my education (want to learn how to produce EDM, make a hit track, etc..) and do not NEED a guaranteed job placement after schooling right now.

I'm really looking for the best program out there. I've also heard people recommend getting a degree in electrical engineering instead, but like I said I am solely interested in the "audio engineering" side of this and am not sure how much I would learn in a semi-related field.

I have one more question that might seem trivial to many of you but for me it's a real concern. I get extremely embarrassed making music in front of other people, at home here I have my headphones on when parents are around, I really prefer to make music in my own "space" if you will. At SAE for instance are you required to make music in front of your classmates? I can't imagine every student having their own personal "space", it seems like all of the students are crowded into the same studio and watch each other. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your time!
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Please don't waste your (parents?) hard-earned money on some bogus 'school' (education in audio engineering as an industry is worth about $1 billion in the US and is many times bigger than audio engineering itself!) when there are far better and cheaper ways to learn the ropes.

Audio engineering is basically physics and music, with a bit of hands-on skill at using a DAW and other equipment. Get a good grounding in those three things. Books, community college, on-line courses and just bugging people who know stuff and can show you how things are done. Read some of the 'how to' articles over on SOS - e.g. Engineer's Guide To Tuning and Damping Drums

Also, it sounds as if you want to be a music producer and not an audio engineer - or am I reading that incorrectly? In which case, do much the same as above, but concentrate mostly on the music.
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

You need to buy some books.
certifiedhumane
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear nut

ok, just hearing all the advice I can here.

byre: my favorite producer (Cid Inc) studied augio engineering and is a stellar progressive house producer because of his knowledge of mixing/mastering/production..

i just want to do everything in my power to learn everything there is to know so i can produce great music. the point was to learn audio engineering to "make myself a better producer" . . So in essence I want to be/do both an audio engineer and a producer.
thank you for the advice both of you :D
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear addict

Some "regular" community colleges and universities will allow you to take only one (or more) courses in a non-degree track.

The only bugaboo is that some courses have prerequisites.

Plus, credits from many "regular" schools, i.e. "not for profit" are transferrable if you do decide you want to pursue a degree at some point, while those from "for profit" schools typically are not...
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by certifiedhumane View Post
byre: my favorite producer (Cid Inc) studied augio engineering and is a stellar progressive house producer because of his knowledge of mixing/mastering/production.
I am sure that a good knowledge of audio engineering helped him, but in various interviews, he claims that most of his skills are self-taught. If being an audio engineer was the only reason for Henri Hurtig's success, then every audio engineer would be every bit as successful!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search