digital i/o advice
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

digital i/o advice

Hi Guys

Not sure how why i always can only post in the NOOB forum, this often results in condescending posts from other users as they think you know nothing... anyways...

Currently running Lavry blue converters 4 channels AD/DA and will like increase these to possibly 24 channels, once I get the opportunity to purchase a solid analogue mixing desk.

I would like more digital I/O

My question is instead of purchasing audio interfaces, is it not possible to purchase digital i/o cards from computer stores that I can plug the digital outputs of the converters into? I am upgrading to a beast of a comp in the next week or too so getting this sorted now may be a good thing.

I would like to use pro tools 11 with such a system.

Any thoughts on this connectivity issue would be appreciated.

Regards

Leigh
Old 25th June 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Most interfaces are actually a converter and card in one. Some use Firewire, some use USB, some use PCI. It sounds like you're using standalone converters that don't kick out any of those formats. If you have converters with the appropriate digital outs (ADAT lightpipe for example) then, you're fine buying PCI cards that will take that. The issue is when you go from Analog to digital, back to analog then to digital in a card.

Lynx makes some good PCI cards for exactly what you're looking to do. Keep in mind that AES/EBU is often stereo as is S/PDIF so you're going to need a lot of connections on your converters to make that happen.

The big pitfall with ADAT Lightpipe is that it's a 24bit/48k max sample rate. If you up it, you go from 8 channels per pipe to 4 and even then, you need to be absolutely certain that everything's compatible.

Integrating an analog board of noteworthy size (24+ channels) is a huge project that I've been talking about recently on the Low End Forums because it's very easy to focus on the cost of the board and not the ancillary equipment that's involved to make it work. The ancillary equipment often is more expensive than the board itself!

PCI Cards
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
Most interfaces are actually a converter and card in one. Some use Firewire, some use USB, some use PCI. It sounds like you're using standalone converters that don't kick out any of those formats. If you have converters with the appropriate digital outs (ADAT lightpipe for example) then, you're fine buying PCI cards that will take that. The issue is when you go from Analog to digital, back to analog then to digital in a card.

Lynx makes some good PCI cards for exactly what you're looking to do. Keep in mind that AES/EBU is often stereo as is S/PDIF so you're going to need a lot of connections on your converters to make that happen.

The big pitfall with ADAT Lightpipe is that it's a 24bit/48k max sample rate. If you up it, you go from 8 channels per pipe to 4 and even then, you need to be absolutely certain that everything's compatible.

Integrating an analog board of noteworthy size (24+ channels) is a huge project that I've been talking about recently on the Low End Forums because it's very easy to focus on the cost of the board and not the ancillary equipment that's involved to make it work. The ancillary equipment often is more expensive than the board itself!

PCI Cards
Hey man

Thanks can you suggest any PCI cards?
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

RME also have a pretty vast sortiment of different digital i/o cards...
Old 27th June 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdland101 View Post
Hey man

Thanks can you suggest any PCI cards?
Like Krushing said, RME or like I said, Lynx, depending on your budget.

You need to really look at the specs to decide what fits your particular needs for i/o.

I'm running a 32x32 analog i/o rig and then use 2 Spdif channels as well. It works for me but it was a real project putting together the cabling, patchbays, etc. Building the rack to fit everything was the rough part.
Old 27th June 2013
Lives for gear

I like Lavry converters.
All I need is the digital ins. Just a way to get those converted signals into the PC.
I spoke to the PC guy yesterday and he said the new PC s don't hace PCI slots! ? Wtf..
Not sure what he means by this?
Also would the pro tools digi I/O s be good for getting the digital in to the pc.. They going for cheap, but not sure how compatible they will be with pro tools 11
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search