Newb Question Regarding (1/4") Patch Cables
New Reply
Subscribe
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear interested

Newb Question Regarding (1/4") Patch Cables

Hey guys ,

I am about to buy a Samson Spatch (which is a "Fully Balanced" unit) and I wanted to order Patch Cables along with it... For the front of the unit (to do the patching), do I get balanced or unbalanced cables? A lot of the online stores are recommending that I get unbalanced. Is this correct??

Second question:
For the back of the unit, which cables are the best to use to connect my 'Bay to my interface (Motu 8pre)? Should I just use more patch cables? Balanced? Unbalanced?

Thank you!
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear addict

I dont see any reason not to use balanced patch cables. If you need balanced patchbay you rather need balanced cables. Once unbalanced it will stay that way.
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear addict

Unless you're patching in guitar pedals, I can't think of a situation where balanced cables would be a detriment. Whether or not you can use unbalanced depends more on what gear you are connecting to the bay than the bay itself.

Balanced patch cables from the back of the unit to your interface.
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

Yeah if it's just standard rack equipment connecting, then balanced all the way.
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear interested

Okay guys thanks, I think I'm starting to understand all of this... Thanks for the responses!

Maybe I should also give you the list of equipment I will be using:

TR-909
Little Phatty
MicroKorg
Asr-10
A microphone
x0xb0x (tb303 emulator)

I will be patching in a few guitar pedals but I think I know that I need a DI box and re-amp to achieve that. (Or something like a Radial Engineering EXTC).

Seeing the equipment list, would it still be advisable to go with the balanced cables?
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear addict

23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
I don't even see an issue with guitar pedals as long as you're hitting unbalanced at some point (including the pedal itself) then that chain becomes unbalanced.

My tip, don't mess around trying to hook pedals into the back of your patchbay, keep those in the front.

If you have extra room, you can split signals with certain configurations, I want to say normaled will do it. (I haven't had room on a patchbay for splitters in a while...)

My Personal Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
I don't even see an issue with guitar pedals as long as you're hitting unbalanced at some point (including the pedal itself) then that chain becomes unbalanced.
)
The only issue with guitar pedals is you need an unbalanced cable on the input to turn the power on.
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumq View Post
The only issue with guitar pedals is you need an unbalanced cable on the input to turn the power on.
I'm not sure about that but my studio is a mess right now and it'd be a lot of work to verify. I don't quite believe this though as those on/offs have more to do with a cable being present as far as I know. You very well could be right. I'd recommend the OP test that. Who knows, maybe that's pedal-specific? My Stereo Memory Man for example doesn't run on batteries at all and that feature is, is to conserve battery life. It may be untrue, it may be completely true, it may be partially true. Be sure to test with your specific pedals.

The reason I say to keep pedals manually routed through the front though is because you're going to have those on a desk/floor so running long patches to the back of the patchbay is actually going to make that setup cumbersome. I use my patchbays to put everything from the back of rack gear to the front for routing flexibility. If an input/output is on the front of something, it's useless to run a cable from the front of your rack to the back just to fill a point on your bay.

That being said, some pedals may work fine with line-level signal, some may sound worse. Ultimately, I think it depends on the pedal. Be generally careful how much your total output coming out of your computer is because a hot line on stuff like that may unintentionally distort just because pedals are designed to handle guitar-level voltage which is a lot quieter than something off a preamp which is basically what a line-out from your interface is. I find I'm usually cutting 20db when I reamp.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search