New Reply
Subscribe
hcg
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear interested

Where is this buzz coming from??

Hi,

I'm new at recording guitars and I have a couple questions.

The setup used to record the attached sample is: Fender 65 Mustang RI, Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb RI, Shure 545SD microphone going straight to an Mbox mini. The mic is placed a couple inches away from the speaker.

I'm looking to record a clean tone and I'd like to know where is the buzz/noise in the recording coming from?
Is this an usual problem and gets fixed after the recording?
Is the guitar the issue?
What is the best solution to record a clean guitar coming out of this amp?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: wav test 2.wav (4.93 MB, 11 views)
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear addict

Try different guitar cable, check if jack socket in your guitar is firmly secured, then experiment with your position during recording. Turning around or walking away of your amp you could find quiet spot. Change AC outlet you are using, turn off computer, and everything else. Truth is, there is no easy answer when it comes to a buzz, I've heard about a studio where they had to plug a fan into the same power strip as guitar amp to get perfectly quiet recording. The fan was not working it was only plugged in. Nobody knew why, they discovered it by accident.
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Lives for gear

It's mainly RF noise being picked up by the pickups of your guitar. Doesn't sound excessive. Sometimes it gets fixed (with either noise gates or special noise removal tools/plugins), other times it's left in to add to the vintage feel of the track. Once there are other elements going on at the same time, it gets buried anyway.
hcg
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear interested

Thank you very much! I'll experiment to find what works best.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search