Getting a job in the industry with hearing disability
New Reply
Subscribe
camcaveman
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear interested

Getting a job in the industry with hearing disability

I'm looking at going into sound design as a career, I am very passionate and motivated. However, i'm afraid that a hearing disability will hinder my chances of ever getting a job in sound design or the audio engineering industry as a whole. Since birth, I have been 100% deaf in my right ear. However, my left ear has complete functionality. I was wondering if anyone that has been in the industry for a while can give me any feedback or advice. Your responses are appreciated!
21st June 2013
Old 21st June 2013
Gear addict

While being half deaf is not helping, and I can't imagine you being successful sound mixer, you could probably do a decent job as foley artist. You could also probably do my everyday job - ADR, and dubbing recordings. Actually I prefer to audition voices through one speaker during recording.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear maniac

Cam,

I perforated my right ear drum doing water sports in my teens. I had it surgically patched up, but since then my right ear constantly rings which masks high frequencies when I am critically listening. However, I've been like this for more than 10 years now so I have adapted. It would be nice to have full functionality, but instead I do my mixes and then turn sideways to double check. Listening to my mixes, no one can tell that my hearing rolls off around 10kHz in my right ear.

The fact is that if you have good fundamentals then you will produce a better product than the vast majority of the people recording/mixing bands. You probably are at a disadvantage to make killer money out of this business just like someone with weak ankles is less likely to become a top 10 basketball player. However, if you adapt and play to your disadvantage there is nothing from stopping you from creating a quality product.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear maniac

Cool thread. Insightful.
22nd June 2013
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Gear maniac

Also, Beetoven. Been done, right? And not relevant to present day. Sorry.
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
Lives for gear

You could be a musician - the majority of them are deaf. Or a composer. Or a (ahem) DJ.

As others have said, foley and sound design could also be good choices.

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
23rd June 2013
Old 23rd June 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
Brian Wilson is deaf in one ear and did all of the mono beach boys mixes. You can be a producer, you just need help with mixing at that point.

Sound design can work if you're sticking to mono but the synth stuff seems to be pretty stereo-heavy these days and even surround-heavy for film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search