Login / Register
 
Legendary old akai samples?
New Reply
Subscribe
LindenGarcia18
Thread Starter
#1
20th May 2013
Old 20th May 2013
  #1
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Bridlington
Posts: 300

Thread Starter
LindenGarcia18 is offline
Legendary old akai samples?

On my search to find japanese samples, 3 people have said to me when I ask them about it

"Oh back in the day I had some old Akai samples, sounded great, they had a ton of japanese stuff"

Similarly when discussing samples orchestral sounds and their realism with my college tutor, he too piped up with "back in the 90's early 2000's, I had these amazing old akai samples, people were asking me who the violinist was, and when I said it was me on the key board they were shocked!"

I've heard allot about akai and their old samples which sounded amazing, so where did they all go?

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful, I really want to try these out!


- Linden
#2
21st May 2013
Old 21st May 2013
  #2
Gear addict
 
MichalS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw, Poland (where East meets West)
Posts: 310

MichalS is offline
Back in the old days, everything was better! Cars were better, weather was better, and definitely people were better.

Truth is, it all sounded amazing for people who has never heard gigasampler piano, not to mention NI stuff, and all software instruments we have today. "Jurasic Park" was considered absolutely realistic then.
__________________
I need really thick cables for bass electrons to squeeze through
Quote
1
#3
22nd May 2013
Old 22nd May 2013
  #3
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 19

himbe is offline
The effects in Jurassic Park are still crushing the special effects of movies out today. Sometimes, older IS better.
LindenGarcia18
Thread Starter
#4
23rd May 2013
Old 23rd May 2013
  #4
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Bridlington
Posts: 300

Thread Starter
LindenGarcia18 is offline
Which is precisely my point. Apparently these old samples topped allot of todays stuff.
#5
23rd May 2013
Old 23rd May 2013
  #5
Gear addict
 
MichalS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw, Poland (where East meets West)
Posts: 310

MichalS is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by himbe View Post
The effects in Jurassic Park are still crushing the special effects of movies out today. Sometimes, older IS better.

I remember how I watched JP when it was released for the first time, and I know how I'm watching it today (I mean the original version). It's not a killer, at least for me.
#6
23rd May 2013
Old 23rd May 2013
  #6
Gear addict
 
MichalS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw, Poland (where East meets West)
Posts: 310

MichalS is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindenGarcia18 View Post
Which is precisely my point. Apparently these old samples topped allot of todays stuff.
So either many people have them but keep it in secret, because that way they are ahead of everybody else in their production quality, or nobody (even on this respected worldwide forum) has them, regardless of their quality, because they vanished. Somehow I doubt it, that's all.
LindenGarcia18
Thread Starter
#7
23rd May 2013
Old 23rd May 2013
  #7
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Bridlington
Posts: 300

Thread Starter
LindenGarcia18 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalS View Post
So either many people have them but keep it in secret, because that way they are ahead of everybody else in their production quality, or nobody (even on this respected worldwide forum) has them, regardless of their quality, because they vanished. Somehow I doubt it, that's all.

Doubt what? Their existence?
#8
23rd May 2013
Old 23rd May 2013
  #8
Gear addict
 
MichalS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw, Poland (where East meets West)
Posts: 310

MichalS is offline
I doubt they are better then anything that came out later, and are kept in secret. I doubt that Hans Zimmer is secretly using string samples from Akai.
Back in the 80's Frank Zappa tricked audience of some contemporary music festival, with synclavier arrangement, and string quartet pretending on stage, but it doesn't mean, synclavier samples (although usable) are better then what we use today.
LindenGarcia18
Thread Starter
#9
23rd May 2013
Old 23rd May 2013
  #9
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Bridlington
Posts: 300

Thread Starter
LindenGarcia18 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalS View Post
I doubt they are better then anything that came out later, and are kept in secret. I doubt that Hans Zimmer is secretly using string samples from Akai.
Back in the 80's Frank Zappa tricked audience of some contemporary music festival, with synclavier arrangement, and string quartet pretending on stage, but it doesn't mean, synclavier samples (although usable) are better then what we use today.
It wasn't the fact that they were said to be really good that much, its how exotic instruments seemed readily available.

As I said I asked someone where I could find a sampled Koto on FutureProducers.com
They all mentioned the old Akai samples.
I've NEVER seen any Japanese instruments on the market today, and the ones that do exist come as part of a package like East West quantum that costs a bomb.


P.S, I don't know of any sampled strings that could fool an entire audience in todays tech. Non of them sound like a real orchestra to me.
#10
24th May 2013
Old 24th May 2013
  #10
Gear addict
 
MichalS's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw, Poland (where East meets West)
Posts: 310

MichalS is offline
#11
24th May 2013
Old 24th May 2013
  #11
Gear nut
 
AuldLangSine's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 115

AuldLangSine is offline
I have an Akai floppy that came with my 3000 series sampler with a few excellent samples I would love to use again, but the floppy disk that they are on is broken-- the disk will not load. (The floppy drive works fine.)

This could be a good thread-- too bad there (I guess) is no archive of these old Akai samples. There are indeed some beauties in there.
LindenGarcia18
Thread Starter
#12
24th May 2013
Old 24th May 2013
  #12
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Bridlington
Posts: 300

Thread Starter
LindenGarcia18 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalS View Post
Yeah, I misunderstood "japanese samples" a bit. So it's not exactly that they are better but rather that they are at all. If you haven't been there yet, try at DISCOVERY SOUND | DISCOVERY DOWNLOADER : Sample Cds, Cd Samples, Sound Libraries, Akai Files, Rex Files, Reason Samples you can get "koto", and "shamisen" DVD-discs or separate loops
you could also try World Samples
there should be at least shamisen, and taiko drums.
Cheers.
I'll check that out, cheers for the help mate
LindenGarcia18
Thread Starter
#13
24th May 2013
Old 24th May 2013
  #13
Gear addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Bridlington
Posts: 300

Thread Starter
LindenGarcia18 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
I have an Akai floppy that came with my 3000 series sampler with a few excellent samples I would love to use again, but the floppy disk that they are on is broken-- the disk will not load. (The floppy drive works fine.)

This could be a good thread-- too bad there (I guess) is no archive of these old Akai samples. There are indeed some beauties in there.


Sucks they seem to be lost in time.

Maybe somebody else will tune in that knows if there's any where to find them.

I've posted something similar on FutureProducers.com too, so there might be somebody on there that knows.

I'll tell everyone on this thread if I find anything, like you , I bet a few people would be interested in this
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.