How should I EQ my overall mix?
New Reply
Subscribe
MetalCopper
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Gear interested

How should I EQ my overall mix?

I keep my EQ's off on all my devices I use to evaluate my mix, (computer, car stereo, ipod etc). I want a true perspective on my frequencies used in kick drums, bass guitar, and guitars. Is this the correct way to EQ a mix? Do I want my overall mix to sound good without adding any outside EQing to the listening device? I am doing extreme metal, so there are important levels of low frequencies I need to hear to make the mix sound right for this style of music, but I don't want a heavy overloaded mix of garbage-bass noise. I like a nice clean sound. I know a little bit about what frequencies to use in each instrument, but my main question is about the added EQing to a listening device. Thanks for the help!
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Hey,

a (well) mixed/mastered song should sound good on every playback device without "external" eqing.

cheers

www.nmt-records.com
11th May 2013
Old 11th May 2013
Lives for gear

Appropriately.
TNA
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
TNA
Gear maniac

How are you monitoring your mix? Whatever you are using for that, you should not eq. Everything else, leave it as you normally would. If you normally have your car stereo eq'd then that is how you are used to hearing everything so why change it for your song?
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNA View Post
How are you monitoring your mix? Whatever you are using for that, you should not eq. Everything else, leave it as you normally would. If you normally have your car stereo eq'd then that is how you are used to hearing everything so why change it for your song?
To expand on this - yes, the best way to judge your own mixes is by comparing them to commercial music of the same genre/style. Not only when listening in the real world, but also by using reference songs while you mix.
15th May 2013
Old 15th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
To expand on this - yes, the best way to judge your own mixes is by comparing them to commercial music of the same genre/style. Not only when listening in the real world, but also by using reference songs while you mix.

Well said.
MetalCopper
26th May 2013
Old 26th May 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the advice guys, I thought I was on the right track, but I just wanted to be sure in case I was missing something.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search