Login / Register

really dumb question - what is automation?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mystic Muse
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Gear nut

really dumb question - what is automation?

okay i confess I slept through some of my classes in music production (more like ALL the classes). Automation. I hear about it a lot. What is it? How does it function? what purpose does it serve? what benefit does it give? sorry for the dumb question but I'd appreciate any help.
MFW
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
MFW
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
okay i confess I slept through some of my classes in music production (more like ALL the classes). Automation. I hear about it a lot. What is it? How does it function? what purpose does it serve? what benefit does it give? sorry for the dumb question but I'd appreciate any help.
The reason youre not getting responses is prob bc you should Google it or use the search feature on this form. Not tryin to be a dick but that's what I'd do.
RiF
8th May 2013
Old 8th May 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

- What is it?
Automation allows you to automate changes to knobs, buttons and faders on a console (or in your DAW software: the parameters of plugins or the faders and knobs of your DAW's mixer) while the song is playing.
Without automation, you had to turn all the knobs by hand while printing the final mix.
I remember that we stood with 3 persons around the console to move all the faders manually in real time :-O

- How does it function?
In a DAW, you either draw an automation curve for the to-be-automated parameter with your mouse or you can record the curve while you move the actual knob for the parameter in real time.

- What purpose does it serve?
Creating movement throughout the song by e.g. increasing the delay send of the lead vocal in certain spots or bringing down the guitars in the bridge.

- What benefit does it give?
Eliminating the need to do this manually.
Being able to recall and even edit the automation every time you want.

No problem asking these questions. This is what a forum like this should be for.
Mystic Muse
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Gear nut

well the way i look at it i'd rather get it from the horses' mouth. i'd just assume this forum is for folks who don't want to go through all the junk through google and wikipedia and all the other questionable info. the point is, i ask on this board because I want to hear from the pros. It's a compliment to you
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
well the way i look at it i'd rather get it from the horses' mouth. i'd just assume this forum is for folks who don't want to go through all the junk through google and wikipedia and all the other questionable info. the point is, i ask on this board because I want to hear from the pros. It's a compliment to you
The thing is...professionals rarely want to spoon feed those wanting to learn. It would encourage people to help you if you tried to find the info yourself first, then asked if anything wasn't clear.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
...i'd just assume this forum is for folks who don't want to go through all the junk through google and wikipedia and all the other questionable info...
Don't worry, there's plenty of junk and questionable info here too. It's still the internet, just like Google and Wiki.
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Don't worry, there's plenty of junk and questionable info here too. ....
Mon Dieu!, "questionable info" on Gearslutz, sacrilege!
Everything on Gearslutz is worth every penny one pays for it.
Oh....., nevermind.
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Automation is an old fashioned faclity where you can put coins into a slot and get sandwiches out.
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

Automation....Automaton, only one "i" missing. There is a connection, however in Sam Crain's CD release which uses automation about automatons.
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
The thing is...professionals rarely want to spoon feed those wanting to learn. It would encourage people to help you if you tried to find the info yourself first, then asked if anything wasn't clear.
Your point is a good one Psycho, but this is the "Newbie" forum, so perhaps a little leeway is in order, and also, why would a "professional" be perusing this particular board?
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristol_Jonesey View Post
Your point is a good one Psycho, but this is the "Newbie" forum, so perhaps a little leeway is in order, and also, why would a "professional" be perusing this particular board?
I moved it to the newbie forum...it was originally in so much gear.

I think newbies don't get a pass on doing their own research...self confessed laziness isn't really a virtue, even a " I tried to research but didnt have any luck" is better than " I though you guys could just tell me". You don't have to agree with me...
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...I think newbies don't get a pass on doing their own research...self confessed laziness isn't really a virtue, even a " I tried to research but didnt have any luck" is better than " I though you guys could just tell me". You don't have to agree with me...
In total agreement....so glad you said this.

Unfortunately, in an age when a whole generation has grown up with Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask.com at their fingertips, there are plenty of newbies who really don't seem to understand the difference between posting a question on a forum with human members thereby essentially asking people (us) to do their "homework" for them, and doing a search on Google or Ask.com.

I often do try to answer those questions because I know it's sometimes intimidating for someone starting out to do an on-line query and get hundreds of responses that are "all over the map" and for that Newbie to try to make any sense of the vast amount of info that is instantly available.

However, sometimes it's such a trivial question, and the answer is so easily available that one has to wonder why it's being asked in the first place.

I do draw the line at providing help at the "I have an Audio Engineering - 101 final tomorrow and need the answer to this question, can you help?" It's hard to imagine what kind of an "engineer" any student would turn out to be who would publicly post such a question, but lately there are more and more of those being posted here.
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
I do draw the line at providing help at the "I have an Audio Engineering - 101 final tomorrow and need the answer to this question, can you help?" It's hard to imagine what kind of an "engineer" any student would turn out to be who would publicly post such a question, but lately there are more and more of those being posted here.
I agree, they at least used to hide the fact that they're asking the community to do their homework for them. How many "I have $10,000, what studio should I build?" threads were there with really homework-like requirements. "I'm looking to open a commercial recording studio and I have $10,000. The building is paid for. Which gear (and prices) would you buy and why?"

I'm phrasing it badly, but I've seen rashes of those on the Low End Theory forum. Some of them are clearly guys getting started with a budget, some are clearly asking for us to do their homework (usually the ones who are just starting had listed what they currently have, even if it's not useful)

The OP in this case was asking for such a specific answer, I can't imagine that Google couldn't drop a straight answer on page 1 "Automation audio" oh hey, Mix Automation - Wikipedia is result #1...

Seems strange to post the question and wait for a response when the answer was had faster than it took to post the question initially...

I'm chalking this up to either A. OP is too lazy to decipher a wikipedia page B. OP doesn't trust anything on the internet ever (rather than researching opposing sides and deciding for themselves not that there's a lot of controversy in automation...) C. Thinks this is the kind of thread that will benefit other newbies in the future (it won't, wikipedia has the info covered)

My Personal Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont have a playstation so I have to book a big room to get my Metal Gear fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
the secretary at our studio calls Gearslutz

"That stupid website your always on..you know, the one with the bird on the skateboard"
It took 6 years but I think I found my avatar in action: http://imgur.com/gallery/2cNN5
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I moved it to the newbie forum...it was originally in so much gear.

I think newbies don't get a pass on doing their own research...self confessed laziness isn't really a virtue, even a " I tried to research but didnt have any luck" is better than " I though you guys could just tell me". You don't have to agree with me...

Oh don't get me wrong, I have no problem agreeing with you, and I didn't realise it had been moved from "upstairs"

Carry on.... nothing to see hear......
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It was invented because of the awkward situation of having to (or wanting to) make adjustments to the audio equipment on the fly during the playback of a song. Before automation, it was only possible with the hands of the mixing engineer, the assistant and basically everyone else who were available in the control room, which showed an eerie resemblance to the scene of when too many people try to play the same piano.
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

To think of going to school for music (which apparently would be something I would love to be learning at a school)... and sleeping thru the courses, just to awake to have a question on something so self explanatory.

Fall asleep during the 'history of midi implementation' or something concerning comparative slew rates.
28th May 2013
Old 28th May 2013
The Audio Whisperer

Send a message via Skype™ to donsolo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Fall asleep during the 'history of midi implementation'
You'd be amazed how handy understanding the common controller numbers, how SysEx works etc comes in when you're dealing with hardware...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search