Hissing when recording DI piano
ppanton321
16th April 2013
Old 16th April 2013
Gear nut

Hissing when recording DI piano

Hey guys,

So I was recording a korg sv1 today and sent the stereo trs outputs to my pres. I sent the left side to an Avalon 737 and the right side to a focusrite 428. However I got a huge amount of hiss in around the 10k region when doing this. Does anyone know of what this might be? And do you think it could be that I used two mono tracks with different preamps?

thanks
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Are you running the Korg Master Volume up at least half way (control the record level with the preamplifier gain controls) and connecting the outputs into the preamp's line inputs (not "mic, and not "Inst.")? Keep the Korg output high and the preamp line input gain low. Control the recording level using the preamp gain controls.

Be sure you're using the "line" inputs on the preamplifiers, not the "Instrument" inputs. On the Focusrite that means the back-panel TRS jacks only, not the ones on the front panel. On a VT-737 the line input is only on a XLR, the front-panel TS jack is an Instrument input.

The SV1 outputs are actually unbalanced (TS) or balanced (XLR)s. The signal is lower on the TS outs. They should work with the TRS inputs if you use TS to TS cables, although the output is low. Ideally, to properly connect to the balanced inputs of the Focusrite 428 , you should be using a balanced XLR to TRS cable, the XLR outputs are higher level. For a Avalon VT-737, you need an XLR/XLR cable going to the rear-panel "LINE" input. Do not use balanced XLR/XLR cables for line-level input signals to either of those pres' "Mic" inputs.

Using two separate preamps and two mono tracks won't make any difference as far as HF noise goes.
ppanton321
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Gear nut

Ok thanks. It's weird cause I've never experienced it before when tracking the sv-1. But I'll try those suggestions.

Thanks
17th April 2013
Old 17th April 2013
Lives for gear

Were you possibly using the mono output jack before? There's also always the possibility that the SV-1 has a problem and has developed some noise on its output.

If the gain staging is correct (the gain of the preamps is not too high) the noise (hiss) level should be very low compared to the signal levels.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search