investment for steady working production corner
Old 26th March 2013
Gear interested

investment for steady working production corner

hey guys,
Im not sure if this is the right area for my question but I sure will find out about that...

so Im planing some investments, i wanna reset up my production area. i havent done alot in the past years and i for sure did not do any research on musicproduction and anything that goes in that direction. but here is what I am thinking about - oh and excuse my english i normaly speak german.
  • MPC 2000 XL - with the 8 output board installed
  • microKorg or Akai Miniak
  • some working Turntable
  • M-Audio Fast Track
  • SPL MTC 2381
  • yamaha ns-10 or any other cheep and crapy sounding speaker
  • one good speaker, no idea wich one?!

now my question:
microkorg or akai miniak or what synth does a good job for some hiphop pads, basslines and synthies?

i wanna set up atleast to sets of speakers, whats the best monitor controlling you know? i found this one vary interesting but i guess it will get a bit expensiv :(
SPL MTC 2381 Stereo Monitor Controller Talkback Abhörverstärker | eBay
any good alternativs to that one?

wich speakers would you go with? everybody always brings up the yamaha ns-10 but i guess i could find crapy sound for less money... or?
i got some couple of years old roland dm10 an i really hate them... sound like s@%t and are starting to break into pieces. so for now my biggist questionmark are the speakers.
i will probably moste of the time do hiphop music, if that is an important info for the speaker choise.

the I/O should be m-audio because i am working on protools, i thought about the fast track with 8 analog ins but it cost alot! well actually it doesnt cost alot if you look from the high end engineers perspectiv but i kinda look at it from the, I am a student and need to pay my rent first perspectiv.
so Im always glad for cheeper but not worst equipment that can do the job.

Im not sure if i want a little mixer between the turntable and the mpc or if i just directly go to the mpc in (but then i cant listen to my vinyls for fun, shit i need a mixer!) any ideas? oh boy there is gonna be alot of money going over the table for just a bit of music...

oh and before you try to talk me out of the mpc stuff, i kind of need that for live shows. so thats one really fix point on the list and there cant be anything done about that.

thx for help, if you help
antonio
Old 1st October 2013
Gear interested

So many choices

A bit late to the party but maybe of some use...

I have NS10's.Industry standards but require rackmount power supply so if space is an issue you maybe better off going for some 2nd hand Genelec 1029 or Yamaha HS monitors instead.

Own a Miniak and have used the MicroKorg.Must say the Miniak is a far better synth for production work due to the built in sequencer and drum machine though the MK does sound nice.

Being able to allocate any sequence (drum/bass/melody)to any key on the keyboard makes the Miniak a great machine for live work and its built like a tank too and with spare parts available,you could end up loving the Miniak for a long,long time.The current price is a steal it really is.

Desks aren't really necessary nowadays unless you're into heavy multi-tracking or want your studio to look good (happens a lot).
Save your cash.

Decks are many and varied.

Read up ass many reviews as you can and try to avoid impulse buys.
Always a good idea to know what you're trying to achieve then go from there.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search