Kerfoot32
22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear nut

I'd appreciate some feedback on this mix

22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear Head

Too much reverb. With this style of music, you would benefit more by using a chorus fx rather than verb.

Cut the low end of the guitars for more definition.

When the second person comes in to do the chorus, align the vocals so that they're saying the same thing at the same time. Right now it just sounds like a mistake.
Kerfoot32
22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear nut

Are you talking about the delays on the vocals?
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Head

I like it but the vocals sounds so small, they could use some EQ work. Really like the overall sound though, good job!
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

is there some kind of delay/reverb on the guitars?
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear nut

feel like maybe some performance issues as well. those gang vocals sound off to me, for example.
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

Drums & guitars are both nicely tracked, but the mix needs some EQ cutting, imho. In the low end base gtr., base drum and guitars need some separation/cutting, because they tend to end up in a boomy mess in some sections. Same goes for the high end, where the vocals and high hat/crashes get in each others way. Vocals are too weak overall, and imho a bit too harsh in the sections were they cut through the mix, need also some EQing and a bit more compression. Like others mentioned before, the gang vocals/overdubbed parts are out of sync - if it's intended for the "punk" vibe, don't bother, if not, they should be aligned. Also, is this high hiss/noise level in the quieter parts intended for the effect? If so, it's too much for my taste - if not, try to identify the source and eliminate it... EDIT: Yes, the timing issues... There are obviously several, but I wasn't quite sure if they were artistically intended or real issues...
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Head

The "yelling" that begins at the 1:30 mark is so out of time it's distracting. I agree with the others who say it sounds like a mistake. Not sure if they were going for a raw live sound, but it just sounds accidental. And then, at the end, when they are all yelling something different, it just sounds messy.

As for the mix, I am FAR from an expert, but as a listener I have 37 years experience. The guitars sound a little boxy. They are sitting way back in the mix and have no real power. They need to be beefed up a bit. Doubling would probably help this (and easy to accomplish if you're mixing in a DAW).

The drums sound ok. Personally, I prefer a sharper, more attacking sound on the snare for punk, but that's a personal preference.

I think, overall, it's not bad. The real faults are in the performance, not the recording itself. Timing issues abound ... hard to fix, but can be done if this is being mixed digitally and you're a DAW master!
Kerfoot32
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear nut

Alright I reuploaded it to the same link. Didn't have time to mess with the vocals but I tried to tighten some things up
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search