Recording band technique
Old 21st March 2013
Gear interested

Recording band technique

Quick Question, My band tried doing guitar first recording and then adding drums later, and this failed horribly. My other option is doing the whole band at once and then overdubbing the Guitars, Bass, Vocals (we use line in for guitar and bass so there would be no mic bleed for the drums). Would you recommend this technique for recording? Thanks!
Old 21st March 2013
Gear maniac

If that's possible I would suggest to record the drums first, as they are in charge of the tempo of the track, then bass, guitars and so on. You want a decent drum performance to start. If that's not possible you can record the whole band and then do the various overdubbings. I think it would be very very difficult for the drummer to do the overdubbing so, unless you are quantizing the drums in a DAW, make sure the drum session is good and start from there.
Old 22nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdy323 View Post
My other option is doing the whole band at once and then overdubbing the Guitars, Bass, Vocals (we use line in for guitar and bass so there would be no mic bleed for the drums). Would you recommend this technique for recording? Thanks!
Exactly!
Whole band playing, get the drums right, overdub the rest
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search