Login / Register

I need a good sounding USB soundcard for mixing & mastering
New Reply
Subscribe
Wahnsinn
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I need a good sounding USB soundcard for mixing & mastering

I was buying me a new laptop now and now I want to start working as a producer and audio enginner for mixing and mastering. So I need to buy a good sounding interface. Please give me your advice what makes sense 2 buy.

What I don´t need:

- I do NOT need a lot outputs and inputs
- I do NOT need a no name soundcard
- I do NOT need a soundcard that is known to make problems with drivers

What I need:

- A USB soundcard
- Best possible higher class mastering converters
- Soundquality thats serious enough for mixing & mastering other artists

The money range that I want to spend:

- Maximum 440 dollars
- Minimum 320 dollars

The music genre´s that I produce:

- Miami Spermcore
- Vampire Island Grind
- IDM
- Glitch
- Braindance
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

What the hell is Spermcore?

Mate for this money you can't go for a really serious interface. Sorry.
That doesn't mean that you can't get the job done.
I would pick the Motu Track16. Good converters and nice monitor controller facilities.

If you need to go a bit cheaper Microbook might do the trick.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear interested

What are the specs of your laptop? Surely mixing and mastering is more about processing power than anything? (Correct me if I'm wrong guys)
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

RME Babyface/Apogee Duet/Focusrite Forte sound about right for your needs.

I agree with Switters though - That price range isn't going to get you a top end mastering converter, but unless you're bringing in clients and money daily I don't think you need anything that expensive yet.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahnsinn View Post
...What I need:

- A USB soundcard
- Best possible higher class mastering converters
- Soundquality thats serious enough for mixing & mastering other artists
To have "Best possible mastering converters" you need to look at Lynx , Benchmark or Apogee-Symphony level hardware.

Quote:
The money range that I want to spend:

- Maximum 440 dollars
- Minimum 320 dollars
Uh-oh! Lynx, Benchmark and Apogee-Symphony level hardware costs 5X to 20X (or more) than your budget!

As a compromise, you might consider saving a little more and increasing your budget to include either the Apogee Duet2 ($600) or RME Babyface ($750). Calling anything less a "higher class mastering converter" is just kidding yourself.

If you're serious about "working as a producer and audio enginner (sic) for mixing and mastering", then you need to use appropriate tools to be taken seriously, and that includes the proper training to know how to pick and use those tools.

Oh, an external digital ADC/DAC connected to a computer via USB or Firewire is usually referred to as an "Interface", not a "sound-card".

Good Luck!
Wahnsinn
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by himbe View Post
What are the specs of your laptop? Surely mixing and mastering is more about processing power than anything? (Correct me if I'm wrong guys)
I have a AMD APU 1,6 ghz & 4 GB RAM. I don´t know how much processorpower my new notebook has because Benchmarks all crashed before it even started on my new and very exapansive notebook. I paid about 750 dollars for my new notebook. Its running with Windows 7 in 64 bit so its proably fast like hell processing vst effects. I just need a good soundcard. I think a Lynx 22 would be something I could find attractive, but its probably not in my price-range and without usb features.

Thats my notebook, just that I got 4 GB instead of 2.

http://www.ishopper.com/laptops/sams...1aa08in--7012/

Same APU 1,6 processor. Friends say that most middle speed notebooks from 2004 are faster like my new expansive one because APU would be not a real processor, just a graphic card processor that AMD uses these days for Notebooks as a main processor, and 1,6 ghz would be slower like most mobile phones because mobile phones work these days with quatro processors around 2,5 ghz so I don´t understand why my new expansive notebook is so expansive and at the same time slower like most middle speed notebooks from 2004. I don´t get it. Benchmarks from 2003 (3D Mark 2003) not even run on my new expansive Notebook.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear addict

Mate, I don't want to brake your heart but if you are serious about mixing (lets forget mastering for half a decade) you are gonna need real gear. A real computer with real interface and real monitors. If you want to experiment and do some tunes, mix as you learn, grab a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and when you feel ready invest in some serious gear. But first of all take the long ride of the learning curve. Your lack of knowledge about common studio staff as computer specs and all that "pro" talking reveals some epidermic studying about music mixing.
Wahnsinn
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Switters View Post
Mate, I don't want to brake your heart but if you are serious about mixing (lets forget mastering for half a decade) you are gonna need real gear. A real computer with real interface and real monitors.
If you give me 20.000 dollars, its easy to do that!

But my situation is that I have just enough money to eat something!

And I can´t find a job so I want to start to be a mastering engineer to make money!

And you say I need expensive gear? How should a normal person buy all this without having that much money? Not everyone on this forum has 30.000 dollars on his bank account. Maybe you have thousands of dollars to buy some cool gear, or newest converters, but I´m already happy if I can eat at Burger King not 1 burger - but 2!

You all here buy and buy and buy the best stuff of the best while others can not even buy the worst stuff because even the worst gear is still expansive so normal people like me just can buy a gamer soundcard from creative or turtle beach because it sounds a little better like the onboard realtek ac 97 chip devices. Maybe I will start to compose distorted, totally distorted, disharmonic stuff without any soundquality at all!

Its just like composing techno in ancient times of stone age, what I will do. Without any gear, creating the most advanced technological epic music that ever got designed.

I will reach my goals, even without any gear at all.

Maybe all others can´t get good results like that, but I can get good results like that, because I´m used to create new ideas to get solutions for problems that are impossible to dessolve for mankind with normal human intelligence.
18th March 2013
Old 18th March 2013
Gear Head

[QUOTE=Wahnsinn;8856702]

And I can´t find a job so I want to start to be a mastering engineer to make money!

You can't just become a mastering engineer. It doesn't work that way.
Wahnsinn
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013

[QUOTE=Izzards;8856996]
Quote:
You can't just become a mastering engineer. It doesn't work that way.
Who says this? I can be whatever I want and nobody can tell me what I can and what I can´t be. Thats my decision. Not the decision of strangers. Example: I never had luck with girls so I started to study PUA and now after PUA I´m for girls a player, girls can´t get enough from me! I´m just to cool now for them. And thats what they like. They don´t like the nice guy, they love the badboy and I am a badboy for sure.

And with audio engineering the same. You maybe think I need to contact Hollywood to get into the elite of secret freemason meetings or something like that but you know, thats not necessary if you know already artists and if you talked already with artists like Cylob and the audio engineer from Venetian Snares. I came trough accident to a site were a guy said he does mastering, so he listed up the people that he already mastered.

I saw Autechre and Venetian Snares in his list. We talked and I gave him links and the mastering engineer from Venetian Snares said that my mixing engineering skills are already pretty good. So Venetian Snares and Autechre would have no problem with me as their mastering audio engineer.

I am a big talent and Autechre would pay me probably thousands of dollars just to get "my" sound. So! Now I have spoken to you! I even was reading many PDF´s how to do mixing, but I have my own ideas so I do not need to study audio engineering. I just would sound like others. But thats not what I want. I´m my own kingdom of sound and Autechre and Venetian Snares would love my hands on their music, thats for sure and if they read this now I bet they will contact me and ask if I work together with them because I´m skilled as nobody else on this planet..
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Lives for gear

Good Luck to you. If you don't believe in yourself, no one else will.

Since you obviously know something we don't, please let us know when you've won a Grammy for producing and engineering. It should be a breeze since you're already "a big talent ", and "..skilled as nobody else on this planet.. " not to mention your modesty.

I have to wonder though, since you're so skilled why you're asking for basic advice on a newbie forum? Obviously, you should be sharing your vast knowledge with us.

Again, Good Luck, the top performers should be getting in line right now to beat a path to your studio.

When you have time after the Grammy ceremony, please let us know some of your award-winning, production and mastering tricks. I'm sure that Bruce Swedien, Judith Sherman, Tom Lazaruus, Bill Maylone, Mark Rankin, Bob Ludwig, Rob Schnopf, and Bill Bouden, and all the other respected and established engineers and producers will be all-ears waiting for your insight. I'm assuming that you are already on a "first-name" basis with all of those producers/engineers.

Of course, since you are now a "PUA" none of the above matters at all so this "Soundcard"is more than good enough for your apparent skill level.
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear Head

- Miami Spermcore
- Vampire Island Grind

Google those terms and you'll find this thread at the top of both lists.

Y'all are getting trolled.
20th March 2013
Old 20th March 2013
Gear interested

Troooooollllllllll alert!!!!!
22nd March 2013
Old 22nd March 2013
Gear addict

Oh...We could have spent our time to help any other new guy and not a trolling #$%^&!
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call_me_Switters View Post
Mate, I don't want to brake your heart but if you are serious about mixing (lets forget mastering for half a decade
They really think were lying when we say this???
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

You cant just "pick up" mastering its not a video game. It takes years to be able to master and to do it right you gotta have a budget for it.
the bottom line is home or not - get serious about your art. Can't afford it? Stop being a pussy, get a job, and afford it. And make it good. Damn good. So damn good that when you talk about it with other people, they already enjoy it before they hear it. Because your love for it is contagious. And do it different. Have a point. The world doesn't need another beat guy or rapper - so what are you doing where the world needs you?
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Wahnsinn;8859685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzards View Post
Example: I never had luck with girls so I started to study PUA and now after PUA I´m for girls a player, girls can´t get enough from me! I´m just to cool now for them. And thats what they like. They don´t like the nice guy, they love the badboy and I am a badboy for sure.
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear addict

Save up some serious money and look at the new mini prism sound range. I am!

Sent from my GT-I9100
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Ha ha , Funny thread went good with my morning coffee.
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

LOL!!
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus 7 View Post
To have "Best possible mastering converters" you need to look at Lynx , Benchmark or Apogee-Symphony level hardware.

Uh-oh! Lynx, Benchmark and Apogee-Symphony level hardware costs 5X to 20X (or more) than your budget!

As a compromise, you might consider saving a little more and increasing your budget to include either the Apogee Duet2 ($600) or RME Babyface ($750). Calling anything less a "higher class mastering converter" is just kidding yourself.

If you're serious about "working as a producer and audio enginner (sic) for mixing and mastering", then you need to use appropriate tools to be taken seriously, and that includes the proper training to know how to pick and use those tools.

Oh, an external digital ADC/DAC connected to a computer via USB or Firewire is usually referred to as an "Interface", not a "sound-card".

Good Luck!

i agree with the duet 2. converters are nearly the quality of the symphony I/O. scrounge up an extra couple hundred and you will be happy.
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Lives for gear

I agree with apogee anything Two up for you guys??
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search