make the solo track fit with backing track
victorr
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear interested

make the solo track fit with backing track

Hello everyone! I have recorded the backing track from my keyboard to computer with Reaper. Then I created a new mono track and recorded myself playing panflute with a cheap microphone. All in 16 bit, 44100 hz because I am using on-board Realtek sound card and if I go with 24 bit I am getting latency so I can't play fast.
The problems come when I render those 2 tracks. I can use phase revert or "center cancel" and then panflute (which the centered instrument) is silenced. I tried making the solo track "stereo" by doubling the mono track and adding delay but the result is the same as the one channel mono track.
How can I make my solo track centered so the instrument would not be possible to remove (silenced) by using audio software?
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Dont center it

Put a Stereo chorus

Record several takes, pan (no pun intended) as needed

Because if your flute is only in the MID component of the M/S, it could always be removed
victorr
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Gear interested

I am not sure what did you mean with M/S so I googled it. Found an article "How to Use M/S Processing in Mastering" where it says that it's a mid/side technique. Followed the instructions there and created 2 more tracks with the solo part: 1 panned hard left, the 2nd panned hard right, and the centered one already was there.
Can't use chorus as this effect changes the timbre of my instrument in an unnatural way.
Rendered again and the solo instrument track still can be canceled.
Then, I read the same article again it seems that I forgot to invert one of those 2 new created channels. After I did a phase reverse on the channel hard panned right, the instrument track wasn't cancelled anymore.
Now I just must raise the volume of that phase reversed track because it sounds lower than the left track.
Do you have more tips? Should I add a bit of delay on some of the mono tracks hard panned?
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorr View Post
Do you have more tips? Should I add a bit of delay on some of the mono tracks hard panned?
Whatever sounds good for you, amigo!

You scared the beejezus out of me when you said the Mid/Side thing didn't work!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search