Lexicon PCM60 for piano/brass/strings?
The Real MC
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Lexicon PCM60 for piano/brass/strings?

I am putting together a bread-n-butter keyboard rig for club gigs, the final piece being the piano/brass/strings source.

I am using the Kurzweil 1000PX for the bread-n-butter sounds, but it has no on-board DSP reverb. Having been spoiled with Eventide 2016s and Lexicon model 200 in my studio, I am looking for economical compact equivalents to these reverbs to gig with. I want a good short room reverb to provide ambience for the piano, and plate reverb for brass/strings. MIDI and digital IO are not a concern, and I don't need multiFX just plain reverb.

The Lexicon PCM60 appears to be what I am looking for. I have read that it is a derivative of the Model 200 which is very appealing. I've heard some promising PCM60 sound samples on YT with vocals and synth, but nothing with piano/brass/strings.

What I plan to do is assign the L/R outputs of the 1000PX into separate outputs - one being mono piano and the other being mono brass/strings, and send each to independent PCM60s one set for room the other for plate.

The question for PCM60 users - do the room and plate reverbs work well for piano and brass/strings? Does the PCM60 create a stereo reverb output image from the mono input? I am aware of the current new reverbs, but I am pretty set on the classic Lexicon sound.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

A PCM60 is one of those pieces of gear that if you love its particular sound, its your friend forever. I would think it will be just what you are looking for as it has that traditional Lex lushness. I find they are a little too noisy for the demands of recording today, but then again what you are using it for might have something to say about that as well.

Its going to be a one trick pony, but if thats the pony you want it will do a great job live.
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

I think the PCM60 is great. I think for you keyboard rig it might be prefect in that the setting are quite quickly perfectly recallable.
The Real MC
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Got the PCM-60s last week, they do indeed deliver. One of them has the inverse room upgrade. Thanks all!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search