doubling lead vocals
New Reply
Subscribe
prophet
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear addict

doubling lead vocals

I am mixing a rock song, the lead vocals have been doubled during the choruses. I basically treat the doubled vocals same as the main lead vocal, except I compress them a bit harder.
question is: do I also apply reverb to the doubled track, or do I leave it dry?

any insight would be much appreciated.
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

I think it would depend on what sound you are going for. I usually send all of my vox to a Vocal buss and have whatever processing I may want (other than possible individual track compression and eq) I put on the buss. That way everything sounds like it is in the same space sonically. You may want to treat your background vox differently, but again it is just a matter of taste IMO.
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear addict

Whatever sounds good is good. I even remember sending only doubled vocal into reverb. You can try some stereo tricks: if you have more than one doubled vocal try panning them L/R, or if you have only one apply short delay /between 10 and 20 ms/ and pan original doubled track and delay hard L/R. Sometimes you have to eq differently taking off more low-mids or highs, and looking for more aggressive overall effect. It's not unusual to squash doubled vocal with compressor really hard, or even distorting it with some plug-in or guitar amp. On metal core mixes I did some time ago it worked great.
But if it sounds ok like it is its probably ok.
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Banned

I usually filter my stacks differently than my main vocal.

You can do whatever you want as far as reverbs go. I usually send them to the same sends my main vox is using. Perhaps just a less of it tho?

It really just depends on the sound you want.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search