Headphones or a good monitor set?
Delo1220
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear interested

Headphones or a good monitor set?

So I am fairly new to this stuff but am ready to get my feet wet with all the right gear! Right now I'm using what I have but Ihave a big questions and feel like this is the best place to ask it. I have a set of aiaiai tma-1 beat port edition. I'm just wondering if I should sell them and just get a good set of monitors which would leave me with only iphone earphones or would it be smart to keep the headphones? Also I have some klipsh computer speakers right now that I use
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear addict

Keep the klipsh for grot speakers. The headphones will be better than the computer speakers, but it is very, very dificult (nearing imposible) to make a mix that translates on headphones. A set of decent monitors is a must for mixing.
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delo1220 View Post
So I am fairly new to this stuff but am ready to get my feet wet with all the right gear! Right now I'm using what I have but Ihave a big questions and feel like this is the best place to ask it. I have a set of aiaiai tma-1 beat port edition. I'm just wondering if I should sell them and just get a good set of monitors which would leave me with only iphone earphones or would it be smart to keep the headphones? Also I have some klipsh computer speakers right now that I use
Neither computer speakers nor DJ- or Hifi-Headphones are the right choice for mixing. You need something that's as accurate and neutral sounding as possible. There are some decent mixing headphones (do a forum search, several threads about them), but, as X 25 stated, it's very hard, if not impossible, do do good mixes on headphones alone - but they're great for double checking your mixes to compensate for the flaws of low priced entry level monitors and/or badly treated rooms though.
5th March 2013
Old 5th March 2013
Gear Head

I would go with monitors and adapt your ears to them..
Delo1220
6th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the response guys?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search