reference tracks
New Reply
Subscribe
krisalker
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Head

reference tracks

I have heard that a lot of people use a reference track when mixing. Is there a good technique for tuning your ears into a certain instruments. I'm wanting to get a similar guitar tone to a song that i have heard but i just seem to get lost in the mix when trying to listen for the guitar sound

cheers
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear addict

I always try to find a solo section somewhere on the album. Not necessarily the beginning of the song. Then you can focus and try to be close. But if the rest of your mix isn't really similar, there is actually no point of getting too far in copying only one sound.
2nd March 2013
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

It can only work reasonably good if your recorded, raw guitar sound is pretty close to their recorded guitar sound to begin with.
In general, using reference tracks is more of an aid for the whole mix than it is for single tracks alone. It's usually used as a guide line for whether the amount of low end, midrange, high end or the overall clarity of your mix is comparable to the reference track or not.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search