Reverb send & return?
New Reply
Subscribe
OolalavSuperfukk
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear addict

Reverb send & return?

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but I'm still new to music production and learning every day. I love the reverb of my SP 404sx sampler on my vocals, but I don't want to record my vocals wet, cos it's much harder to EQ etc. and mix into the song. Is there any chance I could some how record the vocals dry and then put the reverb on after? I've heard people talk about "send and return" but i'm not entirely sure what they mean or if this is what they're talking about... I haven't been able to find any reverbs that I like on my voice as much as I do the reverb on the SP 404sx. So if this is even humanly possible, I'd love an explanation. Thanks

EDIT: Also, if what I'm asking is impossible, then does anyone have tips for mixing wet vocals?
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear interested

If your audio interface has more than 2 outputs, you can use them to send your dry vocal to your processor and get it returned to the input. Exact setup detail varies depending on your interface and DAW. Hope this helps.
OolalavSuperfukk
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbee View Post
If your audio interface has more than 2 outputs, you can use them to send your dry vocal to your processor and get it returned to the input. Exact setup detail varies depending on your interface and DAW. Hope this helps.
ok thanks. but how would you set that up in a DAW so the vocal could get sent to the sampler and come back? I have several outputs so I should be able to do it. I just have no clue how it's done :S
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Which DAW are you using? I'm fairly sure most DAWs these days include some kind of a "external effect/instrument" plugin (or other implementation) that easily lets you insert hardware devices in normal plugin chains...
OolalavSuperfukk
22nd February 2013
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Which DAW are you using? I'm fairly sure most DAWs these days include some kind of a "external effect/instrument" plugin (or other implementation) that easily lets you insert hardware devices in normal plugin chains...
I use Presonus Studio One Pro. I don't doubt my DAW can do it, but I haven't been able to figure out how
OolalavSuperfukk
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear addict

I guess I should explain that I don't have an external soundboard. I'm just running everything through my audio interface. So i'm trying to figure out how to set it up in my DAW so that i can get a bus that sends to my sampler. There should be a way to do it cos Panda Bear used the reverb from his SP 303 sampler for his album Person Pitch and I highly doubt he recorded the vocals wet, given sound quality of the final product. Dunno if there's any point in posting this, but this is an example of his stuff featuring the reverb. Panda Bear - Carrots - YouTube Another reason I'd like to figure out how to do this is because I'd love to use my effect pedals for my guitar without recording wet. I want to be able to record everything dry so I have complete control when in the mixing phase.
OolalavSuperfukk
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear addict

does no one have anymore advice? i really want to figure out how to do this so i can start using less plugins and more external effects so that less of my CPU is being eaten up and it will be easier to mix
23rd February 2013
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear addict

In the I/O section, you should be able to add a send to your interface. Then just return the fx to a channel.
OolalavSuperfukk
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

OK. I'm still very confused. I know this may be asking a lot, but hopefully one of you guys can help. I posted this in the newbie section for a reason, cos I'm a super noob when it comes to producing. Pretend you're talking to a complete moron, cos when it comes to producing, I lack a lot of knowledge. Just to help you out, I'll show you pics of my gear. So you can show me how to do this.

http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/boss_me_50.jpg

http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/fe...65ux2top.l.jpg

http://support.presonus.com/attachme...h9/?name=3.png
OolalavSuperfukk
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

bump
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Your gonna have to record the vocals dry. After that your gonna have to disconnect one of your monitors so you can run a cable from one of the Analog Outs into the input of your effects pedal, then from the output of your pedal into one of the Line Inputs. You'll also have to remember to "solo" the vocal channel when you play it back and record it to a new channel.

So Cable from Analog Out -> Input of FX pedal. Then another cable going from FX Out -> Line Input of Interface.

Solo the vocal channel so you only hear that and nothing else when you hit play.

When you hit play you want to setup another channel in your DAW to record what's coming in from the Line Input so your recording the vocals with the reverb from your pedal in real time.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
OolalavSuperfukk
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Chris View Post
Your gonna have to record the vocals dry. After that your gonna have to disconnect one of your monitors so you can run a cable from one of the Analog Outs into the input of your effects pedal, then from the output of your pedal into one of the Line Inputs. You'll also have to remember to "solo" the vocal channel when you play it back and record it to a new channel.

So Cable from Analog Out -> Input of FX pedal. Then another cable going from FX Out -> Line Input of Interface.

Solo the vocal channel so you only hear that and nothing else when you hit play.

When you hit play you want to setup another channel in your DAW to record what's coming in from the Line Input so your recording the vocals with the reverb from your pedal in real time.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
thank you very much. that was very informative and just what I was looking for. I'll let you know how it goes...
OolalavSuperfukk
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

ok. i got it to work now. it sounds pretty awful through my BOSS ME-50, but once my brother returns my sampler back to me i'll try it out with that. i'm assuming the sample should be better since it's designed for vocals and my ME-50 is only for guitars.
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Guitar pedals are designed for low signals from guit pickups. It prob is overdriven by line level input.
LA610 Solo, Logic Pro 9.1.6 DAW
OolalavSuperfukk
24th February 2013
Old 24th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manfrensengensen View Post
Guitar pedals are designed for low signals from guit pickups. It prob is overdriven by line level input.
yeah, i think you're right. the main issue was noise though. i think my pedal is quite noisy.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search