Any Pro Tools online resources and/or tips for migrating from Cubase to Pro Tools?
C_Z
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear interested

Any Pro Tools online resources and/or tips for migrating from Cubase to Pro Tools?

Hello, slutz!

I am in the process of learning Pro Tools for a move into the sound/TV/film post production business. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations to good resources online to help speed up the Pro Tools learning process. Tips or opinions on how to migrate from Cubase to Pro Tools, personal experiences?

I have 12 years of experience in Cubase, which I know inside out, and very basic knowledge of Ableton Live and REAPER.

Do you think it's feasible to learn Pro Tools in 2 weeks, based on my previous experience?

Edit:
I know the concepts are more or less the same but what I find a little hard to adjust to, are the different terminologies (for example "Events/parts" in Cubase are called "Regions" in Pro Tools) and keyboard shortcuts. Little things like that makes a transition seem harder than it really is, I guess.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

I am doing the same thing now, I have been using Cubase since SX3. One of the first things I had to figure out is that in Cubase bounce is the same as combine in Pro Tools and Bounce in Pro Tolls is the same as it was in Tape day, which actually makes sense ;-)

I have found that simply immersing myself in it and doing a lot of searching the web when I get stuck is helping a lot.

punching in is a little different as well, instead of highlighting and selecting the punch in and out as you are used to, you highlight the actual track section, turn on the pre and post roll at the top, you can then adjust the little flags on top for pre and post roll. you can manually drag them or change the number value next to pre and post. The big difference is you arm the track and actually press record as opposed to just play like in Cubase.

Using play lists and clips is a little different than the pool window, I find it pretty easy in Pro Tools and I think I like it better. Search on using play lists.

Nudge, I know this is a huge editing tool, there is a nudge amount you can sett, loot up at th e top, the numeric keypad + / - are all you need, works well.

I know a HUGE difference is the lack of input monitoring on and off, this actually is only available if you are using the HD version, I was disappointed in this, but I am just pulling the fader down.

I am learning a lot by just diving in and doing.

I will add more as I come across it.

Looking forward to reading your findings as well as others
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I know a HUGE difference is the lack of input monitoring on and off, this actually is only available if you are using the HD version, I was disappointed in this, but I am just pulling the fader down.
if you go to the track drop down, you can select track input monitoring on and off, its a PITA for me, I dont have a numeric keypad but there is a short cut.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

why do the do that and grey out the button?
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

that would be command clicking.

I think its mostly for not allowing anyone to be able to accidentally mess with anything especially if it can potentially hurt someone.

i also use it for quick glance reference. like a marker on a track i need to remember.

Last edited by skillz335; 19th February 2013 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: spell check
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear maniac

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search