New Reply
Subscribe
stingi
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Help? My vocals just doesn't sound right

Hey gearslutz!

I recently recored some vocals but they just don't feel feel right. Sounds too boxy too me.

When I record I use the blanket trick with a U shape behind me. Neumann tlm 193 through Duet 2 and UA TF710. I think I may have been a little bit too close to the wall in front of me and that may cause the boomy and boxy sound, or?

But are there anyway to fix this vocal without record again? Any tricks, EQ stuff I can do? What do you think of the recording?

I just need some help now!

The "Vocal take" Are just the recording

The "Vocal take with beat" Is the vocal with beat (I think U got that)

The "Vocal processed" are the vocal going through DeEsser, EQ and compressor
Attached Files
File Type: wav Vocal take.wav (2.81 MB, 73 views) File Type: wav Vocal take with beat.wav (2.81 MB, 41 views) File Type: wav Vocal processed.wav (2.81 MB, 33 views)
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hey,

first of all I think theres no need for deessing. (At least not much).

I dont know what you have done to the vocal already but try this:

Locut @ around 80hz, maybe even higher depends on how it effects the vocal.

Try pulling out with a realtively wide q somewhere between 100 and 300 hz, that could help getting rid of the boxy sound.

try to high-shelf from (8-)10-20k, it could help making the vox sound more open.

just use a compressor when you really know what to do. dont destroy all the dynamics.

cheers

www.nmt-records.com
stingi
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippy View Post
Hey,

first of all I think theres no need for deessing. (At least not much).

I dont know what you have done to the vocal already but try this:

Locut @ around 80hz, maybe even higher depends on how it effects the vocal.

Try pulling out with a realtively wide q somewhere between 100 and 300 hz, that could help getting rid of the boxy sound.

try to high-shelf from (8-)10-20k, it could help making the vox sound more open.

just use a compressor when you really know what to do. dont destroy all the dynamics.

cheers
Thanks for the help!

I enden up pulling out with a relative wide q at about 190, and att shelf from about 9k. I feel that it helped a little bit with the boxy sound. But it still doesn't feel right to me.. I also find it too harsh. Or is it just me?

Also, any good advice on try fit the vocal into the mix?
Attached Files
File Type: wav vocal with music.wav (9.17 MB, 32 views) File Type: wav Vokal no music.wav (4.48 MB, 30 views)
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hey there..

I think the vocal is better now.

well try this: make a relativle narrow q in the LM section of the EQ...bosst about 10-15 db.
then sweep through the whole Low-Mid band and see where the boxy sound comes from. If you found the band, make the q very narrow and try to find the center frequency where the boxy/closed/tuby sound comes from. If you found it take away the boost of the eq and apply a cut (lower the gain so its in the minus range instead of plus) until it sounds right. If there are more bands producing that boxy sound repeat that process until there's no "boxyness" left. Also try that procedere for the high mid band...3-maybe 6.7-7 khz...that way you can get rid the harshness.

But be aware...dont overdo it. otherwise all energy gets lost.

to fit the vocal in the mix:

try a relatively fast compressor that catsches al the snappy transients. apply up to 2-3db GR.

after that compressor a relatively slow compressor controlling the overall level. (or even better automate the level of the vocal track, but thats much more work.)
Or you can also try to apply a parallel compression. what ever sounds best. try it out.

then apply a gentle reverb. But try to pick one which will not completely put the vocal back.I really like plate reverbs for that purpose. Its important for rap/hip hop that the vocal sounds still upfront and keeps its energy.

Dont overdo any of the mentioned points....less is more.

hope that helped.

cheers
stingi
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Hey there..

I think the vocal is better now.

well try this: make a relativle narrow q in the LM section of the EQ...bosst about 10-15 db.
then sweep through the whole Low-Mid band and see where the boxy sound comes from. If you found the band, make the q very narrow and try to find the center frequency where the boxy/closed/tuby sound comes from. If you found it take away the boost of the eq and apply a cut (lower the gain so its in the minus range instead of plus) until it sounds right. If there are more bands producing that boxy sound repeat that process until there's no "boxyness" left. Also try that procedere for the high mid band...3-maybe 6.7-7 khz...that way you can get rid the harshness.

But be aware...dont overdo it. otherwise all energy gets lost.

to fit the vocal in the mix:

try a relatively fast compressor that catsches al the snappy transients. apply up to 2-3db GR.

after that compressor a relatively slow compressor controlling the overall level. (or even better automate the level of the vocal track, but thats much more work.)
Or you can also try to apply a parallel compression. what ever sounds best. try it out.

then apply a gentle reverb. But try to pick one which will not completely put the vocal back.I really like plate reverbs for that purpose. Its important for rap/hip hop that the vocal sounds still upfront and keeps its energy.

Dont overdo any of the mentioned points....less is more.

hope that helped.

cheers
All great tips, thanks again!

I think a lot of what u just said can help, I'm really excited to try cut out the harsh part and do the parallel compression. I think that might to the vocal good and make it sit in the mix. I'm not able to test it out before I'm back home in 2 days, but I will put out a sample of it when I have tested it out

Thats true, less is more. Thanks again!
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

no problem dude!

would be happy to hear the new vocals.

cheers
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Gear interested

It eould be more beneficial, in the ling run, to re-record the vocals then to try and fix them.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

Like the guy says, generally I try and HPF them all the way from 100 to 150 hz.. After I have compressed the living daylights out of them.

Then add a VoX buss with a slap delay and reverb and compressors, then mix to taste.. It will give you a very modern sound, if that's what your into..

Also it tames them wild metal and sometimes pop singers.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
no problem dude!

would be happy to hear the new vocals.

cheers
Thanks for all the help guys!

I have now tried some different stuff. On the sample here i have done some parallel compresson and actually also serial compression. On the EQ a HP all the way up to 150, tok out some freq with a small Q (FREQ 660, 1550, 7440, 9050Hz)

I have not yet put on delay and reverb, I was just wondering how you people thought about the vocal now? Sit better in the mix? Sounds better?

Sometimes its hard to judge when I sit so long with the same thing e.
Attached Files
File Type: wav Vocal pros.wav (3.97 MB, 33 views)
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

You're very welcome!

I think the vocal sounds much better than at the beginning.

If the music is the final playback, I think the vocals could sit better in the mix.

But that will change immediately as soon as you use delay/reverb...

cheer mate
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Gear interested

Use multiband compressor to tackle the problem area.u can bypass other bands and. Then treat the selected band,reduce the gain,medium release etc.just experiment.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search