Mixing Timetables - Lacking Efficiency
GRiFF
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

Mixing Timetables - Lacking Efficiency

Hi Gang,

I've really got to work out how to mix quicker, where once I had the time - I seriously don't anymore.

Bottom line is much as I try I just don't seem able to mix in a day, or at least do a mix I like in a day.
My mixes always come after I have applied all the discipline of the house-keeping, clean ups, labelling, routing, balanced the track then finished a first mix, except this is a mix that leaves me feeling troubled or just un-satisfied that it is as good as it could be.

Its actually then, typically a few days later I really get what I want or feel I've got it as good as it can be.

From a commercial point of view this simply isn't viable.

I wrote down my timetable to monitor where the time goes so starting at 9.00am to do all the housekeeping I don't get to balancing until 12:00 so I usually stop for lunch and begin this task when I get back.
So balancing might take me an hour, I'm eqing for separation and trying ideas - I know this is all essentially part of the mix process but the official 'mix' if you will probably starts at 3:30.

I could have a track at this stage that still does not throb with any authority or the bass and drums are still finding their presence, I may still be hunting for that relationship but move on to other instruments for the sake of sanity.

Thing is, there is still SO much more to do at this stage.
Every instrument just about still needs some processing, things like drum cymbals and toms may have had little attention, also various ambient parts etc.
I've not hunted down reverbs, or begun automating.

What this means is that the hours from 3:30 to (typically 8:30) are kind of just manic and not especially enjoyable, even more so if the bass and drums or a lead vocal still are not quite doing it.

Is anyone here able to relate to this and if so any advice. I really have to change this, my daily rate is blown out of the water plus I'm totally getting very tired and burned out.
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear nut

it's not always possible but if it's a big mix i try to do all the prep the night before. it's the kind of thing you can do on a laptop in front of the tele with a vino tinto. it means you can get all the tedious labeling, organising, grouping and general tidying up out the way so that when you sit down with fresh ears in the morning you can just get on with it. i find that if i spend 3 hours editing etc beforehand you've ruined the best part of the day for your ears.

bulley
GRiFF
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not sure these mixes could be regarded as especially large - rock band line up with perhaps couple of keyboards, some effect spots, but even this I find can run up the time, especially if you have to do tuning, BV lineups etc.

Good tip though on the laptop, I should try this. Do you use headphones?
You know, thats still 3 hours of your time sitting on your laptop when you could be doing more important things like watching Strictly Come Dancing.

Do you charge clients for that?
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search