Hardware Compressor Issues
New Reply
Subscribe
Synap
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

Hardware Compressor Issues

So, I just recently won my first remix contest, and once of the prizes was an Alesis 3632 compressor. I plan on using this Alesis mostly as a light master compressor for some tunes, and as a side chain, but I have never used any kind of rack hardware. How exactly do I wire this/run the signal properly? I can get the effects to work, and get the tone I want, but bounced tracks do not sound any different if they are bounced with the compressor turned on or off. It just acts as an effect for my monitors as is basically.

I am currently running my monitors into outputs 1 and 2 on my focusrite scarlett 8i6, and then output 3 on my 8i6 through balanced TRS to the input on my Alesis. Then, I'm running balanced TRS from the Alesis' output to input 3 on the 8i6. For the sidechain, I'm running 1/4" from input 4 to the sidechain return, and from the sidechain send to output 4.

Where is my fundamental flaw? Or is it ITB that I need to fix?
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Unless you're doing a real time bounce, the audio isn't passing through your compressor. You have to actually record the processed audio once it's gone through your compressor.

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
Synap
29th January 2013
Old 29th January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Unless you're doing a real time bounce, the audio isn't passing through your compressor. You have to actually record the processed audio once it's gone through your compressor.
EDIT: Dumb question, I'm just going to RT when I get home.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search