Old 25th January 2013
Gear nut

Copyrights

Not even sure if I in the right spot here.

I am signing 4 of my songs over to a record label and the contract basically gives them all the rights forever. I don't really mind this as I am only really concerned with the promotion and exposure I will get from this and the royalty split is OK.

My question is, should I sign over the pa copyright to them or just the sir copyright? What is the norm here? And if I try to barter am I likely to reduce their interest in my songs?

Thanks,
Luca

Sent from my GT-I9305
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Are these songs that have been recorded, with you as the artist? Or are you just the writer? Also, you said you would be "giving up all the rights forever," then you said you're "ok with the royalty split." What royalty split?

And what does the label plan to do with the song?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Are these songs that have been recorded, with you as the artist? Or are you just the writer? Also, you said you would be "giving up all the rights forever," then you said you're "ok with the royalty split." What royalty split?

And what does the label plan to do with the song?
Royalties goes to the record company, as they are the owner of the songs. How mutch are they paying for the songs?

If you sell the rights, the songs is not yours anymore, and you can never claim they are. That can be a violation of the contract as well. Like Steaphen King buy a book from a ghostwriter. The writer would be in a heep of problems if he walks around saying he wrote the new Steaphen King book. Think everything thru.

I think I missunderstod your agreement. But I cant delete this using iphone, only edit. Hmm
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Usually it's a very stupid thing to do.
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmj View Post
Royalties goes to the record company, as they are the owner of the songs. How mutch are they paying for the songs?

If you sell the rights, the songs is not yours anymore, and you can never claim they are. That can be a violation of the contract as well. Like Steaphen King buy a book from a ghostwriter. The writer would be in a heep of problems if he walks around saying he wrote the new Steaphen King book. Think everything thru.

I think I missunderstod your agreement. But I cant delete this using iphone, only edit. Hmm
I think you meant to quote the OP, not me?
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
I think you meant to quote the OP, not me?
Yeah that to. Using my iphone. Small buttons. Tiny screen. Iam so old I need Ipad insted
Old 26th January 2013
Gear nut

Sorry I will clarify..

I produce electronic music, 4 of my songs will be released on a semi major label (not one of the big 4).

I wrote, produced and mixed all the music, the label has their own in house mastering engineer.

The contract says I will receive a 40% split of the royalties gained from digital sales and 18% of 100 of PPD on 100% of net sales. Remixes and videos are 50% recoupable.

I am receiving no up front payment which does not concern me asthis is my first release on a label and I am mainly looking at the exposure I will gain.

It grants the label full assignment of the sr copyright for the duration of the rights period which is listed as perpetuity. The label will have exclusive rights to register copyrights, promote, manufacture, sell, distribute, advertise, market, transfer and licence under any trademarks in all formats including internet downloads now and hereafter.

Does this mean I am still the pa copyright holder? And what rights do I have left?..

Thanks!!
_Luca

Sent from my GT-I9305
Old 26th January 2013
Lives for gear

Strongly suggest finding a reputable attorney with music business experience to review your contract and explain it. When I was younger I foolishly believed I could navigate any contract on my own. I'm not a stupid guy but not a rocket scientist either.

More than once there have been things that I 'thought' I understood that were flat out not in the contract at all. Live and learn.

Without posting the contract there is (probably) no way someone here could help you, unless they could see the contract for themselves (I'm NOT volunteering, lol).

Good luck.
Old 26th January 2013
Gear maniac

Ok here it is.
//The sound recording copyright notice is a copyright for just the sound itself, and will not apply to any other rendition or version, even if performed by the same artist(s).//

You can never use the sounds again, they belong to the record company.
How this works, I cant imagine. Synths never have the same sound/freq anyway.
So the royalties should still be yours.
But why do they whant your sounds?
If it would be for sound fx or something I could understand it.
I wouldnt care to mutch of the sounds anyway. If it´s not to mutch money, then I can understand if dont wanna pay 500usd for a lawyer just to have a quick look.
Maybe you can erase all namnes and stamps etc and post it here?
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search