Login / Register

Upgrading my project studio and I've got some mid-level n00b questions.
New Reply
Subscribe
mort_subite
23rd January 2013
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Head

Upgrading my project studio and I've got some mid-level n00b questions.

So I'm upgrading my home project studio with some more professional gear and there are a few things I've encountered that I could use some clarification or input on.

My current setup is an Emu 1616m PCMCIA interface into a duo-core laptop, monitored through a pair of HS80m's. This setup has served me well, but I've got some money to spend and I've made the following purchase decisions.

This coming month, I'm putting together a high end rackmount PC rig with all the bells and whistles; i7 core, SSD, 24gigs of ram, thunderbolt enabled motherboard, stupid nice graphics card (hey, I'm a gamer too...) 64bit OS, liquid cooled thermal solution, low noise power supply. This is the first upgrade I'm making to the studio.

After a few months or so I'll begin upgrading the actual audio components. For preamp/ADC I'm going with the Audient ASP008, lightpiped into an Emu 1010 PCIe audio interface. The 1010 is cheap for what it does, has lightpipe I/O and will serve the 1616m while I save up for the Audient.

I would honestly like to go with BLA's Sparrow Mk II ADC unit, but, if I'm not mistaken, this is only a two channel system, correct? To get more channels I would either need to mix via console, or need to purchase more than one unit and have them interface with multiple cards on my mobo, unless I'm missing something here? I definitely need more than two channels of audio, as I plan to record drums and multiple live parts. If I win the lottery in the next four months, I'll just go with a Crane Song Spider, lol. Moving along...

DAC will be a Black Lion Audio Sparrow Mr. Red, out to my HS80m's.

One of the things I'm curious about is master clocking. Coming from all in one boxes, I'm new to this concept and curious to know what unit I should use as the master clock in this setup (I'm assuming the Audient?) and how to go about setting up that connection. Should I invest in an external clock? BLA's Micro Clock isn't out of my price range and seems like it would be a good choice.

I'm largely going to be mixing ITB. I have some decent hardware compressors, wouldn't mind getting a nice channel strip or two, and I plan to pick up a few nice mics, but how serviceable is the setup I've spec'd out as it's stated above for a project studio that won't require more than 8 simultaneous channels in at any given time? Am I missing anything crucial to be able to multi-track guitars, vocals, bass and drums with significantly more fidelity than I'm getting with my current interface/converter setup? Thoughts, comments?

As always, thanks in advance for all your help!
24th January 2013
Old 24th January 2013
Lives for gear

The best master clock is the simplest one, which generally means to me no external clock. Use the clock in the device that's doing the most important thing at the time (when recording, the ADC; when monitoring, the DAC).

If you don't want to switch it around, just pick the AD or the the one that's most convenient. Clock is like 1% of the equation of a good recording, but it's 100% of the equation of a working digital system. People have somehow confused this fact that it it must be there and set up correctly with it now being the most important thing to the sound, "OMG what if my clock is not right!@$#!$ the recording is ruined" is simply not the case, ever.

The end.
mort_subite
25th January 2013
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
The best master clock is the simplest one, which generally means to me no external clock. Use the clock in the device that's doing the most important thing at the time (when recording, the ADC; when monitoring, the DAC).

If you don't want to switch it around, just pick the AD or the the one that's most convenient. Clock is like 1% of the equation of a good recording, but it's 100% of the equation of a working digital system. People have somehow confused this fact that it it must be there and set up correctly with it now being the most important thing to the sound, "OMG what if my clock is not right!@$#!$ the recording is ruined" is simply not the case, ever.

The end.
Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search