Subscribe
mr.smithmusic
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear interested

Mono or Stereo?

Hi,

Please could someone give me guidance on the following:

I am recording an electric guitar through an active DI box which has a left and a right output. What is the most effective way to record this into Pro Tools?

Currently I have the guitar cable going into the left input of the DI box and then the xlr coming out of the left output of the DI Box into my mixer which then has a left and right output into my sound card.

Am I right in thinking this should be mono even though there are two outputs from my mixer into the sound card? In which case should I create a new mono track in Pro Tools to record on?

Many Thanks in advance

Matt
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear addict

Yap you are right.
mr.smithmusic
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear interested

Great, thanks for your reply AudioRadar. A follow up question I have then...

Would there ever be any reason to use both outputs from the DI box into the mixer when having an electric guitar going in to just the 1 input?

Thanks
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.smithmusic View Post
Great, thanks for your reply AudioRadar. A follow up question I have then...

Would there ever be any reason to use both outputs from the DI box into the mixer when having an electric guitar going in to just the 1 input?

Thanks
No reason to use the second (right) output from the DI since you have nothing connected to its input.

Save it until you get a bass player to play along.

Since you're using the stereo output from your mixer, you probably have already found out you can use the mixer's pan control to position the guitar to any position within the stereo spread.
mr.smithmusic
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Gear interested

Hi Lotus 7, thanks for your detailed reply. You've answered my question very cleary. Cheers Matt
12th January 2013
Old 12th January 2013
Lives for gear

WOnder why you have the mixer between the interface? are you monitoring from there?
DI boxes are normally used when you need to convert the impedance to send it through a long snake. There's no need for one in a small personal studio. Unless your playing your guitar 30' from your gear.
Why not just plug your guitar into the mixer? Or directly to the interface if it has instrument inputs?

And yes guitar is mono and unless your adding a stereo effect device before the interface the signal is best left as mono.
13th January 2013
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
...Why not just plug your guitar into the mixer? ...
What kind of a mixer do you have that has high-impedance guitar inputs?

Most mixers have either low-Z mic inputs (2k to 4k, typically) or approximately 10k to 100k line inputs (which are usually not sensitive enough for a pick-up) not 500k or 1meg inputs that are suitable for a guitar pick-up.

If the OP's interface has a high-Z guitar input, that's probably the best way to go.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search