The purpose of an i/o interface
New Reply
Subscribe
Art K
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Gear interested

The purpose of an i/o interface

I just wanted to ask if someone could explain to me the point in buying a $2500+ audio I/O interface, as i'm just curious, is it purely for organization because surely all analog outboard gear and such could be routed into your mixing desk. Maybe i'm missing something.
If I am please explain to me what you use your I/O for and how it works

I couldn't seem to find a clear explanation, maybe its because its a stupid question but hey, no people will be able to see this thread if they're wondering.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

You're assuming everyone has a working console in front of them...That is not the case.
9th January 2013
Old 9th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art K View Post
I just wanted to ask if someone could explain to me the point in buying a $2500+ audio I/O interface, as i'm just curious, is it purely for organization because surely all analog outboard gear and such could be routed into your mixing desk. Maybe i'm missing something.
If I am please explain to me what you use your I/O for and how it works

I couldn't seem to find a clear explanation, maybe its because its a stupid question but hey, no people will be able to see this thread if they're wondering.
Better quality and/or more facilities.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Re: $2500 interfaces:

Actual improved performance,

Perceived better performance (i.e.: Emperor's new clothes syndrome),

Features or specifications you really need,

Features or specifications you think you need because artist, engineer, or producer X said that's what he/she used on his/her last Grammy winner.

Reliability,

Appearance: It looks good in the equipment rack even if you don't know what half the knobs, buttons and lights are for,

Ego massage, (I only use _________ equipment in my studio!) [insert high-priced brand name],

and bragging rights (Mine cost more than yours so obviously it's better).

Or possibly all of the above because we're Gearslutz and can't help ourselves!
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Well, there's interfaces, and then there's $2500 interfaces... Basic interfaces start at about $100, and there's a ton of 'em in the $150-$500 range, which is where most of the home recording people go.

An interface is basically used for converting audio signals (such as guitars and microphones) into digital signals that your DAW then works with, and then converting that digital information back into audio signals that you can then monitor through headphones or monitors.

That's the short & dirty explanation.
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

A mixing desk (if you have one, how 20th century...) won't get stuff into and out of your computer.

As to price.... $2500? As with any hobby or profession, a basic unit will get you 80-90% of the way there, it's that last 10% or so that makes the prize zoom astronomically.
Art K
10th January 2013
Old 10th January 2013
Gear interested

11th January 2013
Old 11th January 2013
Lives for gear

I would say that cost also comes with how many I/O that you are using too.

Orchestral facilities need quite a few inputs to record simultaneously. Also if they are mixing through a standard mixing board than they would need more outputs.

But if you are talking about a single A/D or D/A. Then the best way to explain is by the law of diminishing returns. You get something for $100 and it works fine. You upgrade to $1000 it is pretty good. Now to get great you need to be at $10000. Of course these numbers are just for illustration to show that upgrading is an exponential curve not linear. This applies to almost everything that you buy.

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search