Login / Register

Which brand xlr cable would you advise for an AKG C414 microphone?
New Reply
Subscribe
nion
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

Which brand xlr cable would you advise for an AKG C414 microphone?

I just wonder, the cable I'm using (not a very expensive one) appears to add quite a lot of noise... I'm using Cubase 7 under Windows Vista with a Fireface 400. I also wonder if Vista could be the problem...

Thanks for your attention!
S21
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
S21
Lives for gear

What makes you think the cable is the source of the noise?
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

But any decent cable from a reputable supplier like Redco. If it solves your problem....great, toss the other cable. If it doesn't solve the problem you'll know the cable wasn't the issue and you'll have a spare cable.
nion
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

I think it's the cable (a Klotz, by the way) because I can't think of anything else... Then again, I didn't have this problem with my previous computer & Win7.

There's a difference of -20dB pure noise between recordings on my previous computer and my current one.

I can imagine it's a vague complaint! I just wondered if there were cables that are known to work well with an AKG mike.

Thanks so far!
S21
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
S21
Lives for gear

It is nearly implausible that it is the cable if it worked before.

Buy another cable if you need to convince yourself, but focus on the thing that changed.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

FWIW I don't buy into one cable being far superior to another. I've used many different brands. The cable either works or it doesn't.

AFA 'matching' cables to mics, pres to mics, etc etc etc... why do people believe that these items are "designed" to work with "x y or z"?? If a mic has an XLR out, it is solely "designed" to work with an XLR cable. Not a particular brand of cable.

I know this is a common thing here on GS, and tons of people have made offhanded remarks about how silly this whole "matching" concept is.

But the question remains, "Who is perpetuating this stuff with the noobs?" Is it advertising, salesmen, instructors? Who??
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

Hi
The fact that so many don't even define 'noise' is just so lame.
There is Hum (power related) which with poorly twisted cabling COULD be an issue.
There is pickup of HF signal (switchmode supplies or radio) which MAY be cable related but probably not, and there is HISS or other 'filtered' noise which in itself CANNOT be the cable.
There are broad catagories of cable types that are more suitable than others in some circumstances but for many it is unimportant.
Matt S

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search