I require critique on my mix.
Old 29th December 2012
Deleted #223949

I require critique on my mix.

Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

ok here it is, dont be mad this is my opinion..there was one of the quick faded cymbals that was panned too far left..there it is I said it....lol, j/k man, that sounded great! I was disappointed when the track cut.
Old 29th December 2012
Deleted #223949

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillz335 View Post
ok here it is, dont be mad this is my opinion..there was one of the quick faded cymbals that was panned too far left..there it is I said it....lol, j/k man, that sounded great! I was disappointed when the track cut.
Thank you for the reply!
Is there anything that you did not like, perhaps something regarding the mix in detail?
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear
1,,, I think you need to be more selective on the bas or kick sound. for that style of music it just didnt pump or pound the way it should.

2,,, After the cymbal fadein this is where the song is supposed to really take off but it really left me wanting for more that the song just didnt have.
The cymbal was way to loud and everything after it seemed less by comparison when what you were going for was a big grandiose intro to that part but it way over shinned the part after it.

OVER ALL
not bad but, somehow it never felt like there was enough music in there to call it a song unless it is ment more as a tv ambiance sound track .As a song there is just not enough music .

Your kick drum sound on the sugar is pleasure song is a heavy metal type sound alot of click instant low to clear the way for all the guitars but in no way fits a dance track. you want a huge bumping slamming kick track with lots of low frequencies to fill out the sound.

Im guessing you mix on headphones or computer speakers and choose your kick drum sounds because they do not distort your speakers or headphones.

If im correct , its time to invest in some real speakers

Dont worry about recording monitors just get a nice stereo system and use that as your monitors . Cheap stereo speakers will give a better mix than cheap studio speakers.
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeks View Post
Hello, gearslutz!
And exactly like the title says, I need critique on my mix (and composition).
If something sounds off, give me suggestions and tips on what to do better - I'm all ears!
Thank you.
Here goes. (I haven't read any other's comments yet, so here's from the hip).

Too much low-end in general. Need some low end HPF cuts on just about everything.

Snare needs some work, it's too short and too much pop.

Kick transients are too much, which is why it lacks definition in the low end. I'll bet you wanted to bring its volume up more but couldn't because of its sharp transient hit? Use a compressor and play with the attack and release, and cut out some of its low end to make room for the bass.

Can barely hear the hi-hat, if that's what it is.

Might experiment with the panning scheme more, i.e., high frequency instruments panned outside, low frequency instruments closer to center.
Old 31st December 2012
1) lower level of that cymbal
2) compress kick like waveheavy says
3) put some room reverb on the drum bus and some plate on the snare.
4) the track needs some "glue"
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search